Default Portable Electric Heaters - Which is better?

I've always thought that the ceramic disc heaters were more efficient
(?) than the quartz type, but then I heard there's no such thing as an
efficient electric portable heater, its all based on wattage and draw
represents how many watts of heat you can expect.

So, if you had to compare say a ceramic disc heater, an oil-filled
electric radiator, or a quartz-type heater... would one of them have
some inherent advantages over the others? For instance, the
"radiator" type should be quieter than the ceramic disc type you'd
think, and maybe after the circuit is switched off, there's some
residual heat... right?

We have a unheated "Florida" room and I've been using a ceramic
cartridge heater. It's a bit noisy, and of course... if you are in
the room, your eyes get very dry.

Just wondering if there are any opinions on actual use out there?
toller

wrote in message
I've always thought that the ceramic disc heaters were more efficient
(?) than the quartz type, but then I heard there's no such thing as an
efficient electric portable heater, its all based on wattage and draw
represents how many watts of heat you can expect.

So, if you had to compare say a ceramic disc heater, an oil-filled
electric radiator, or a quartz-type heater... would one of them have
some inherent advantages over the others? For instance, the
"radiator" type should be quieter than the ceramic disc type you'd
think, and maybe after the circuit is switched off, there's some
residual heat... right?

We have a unheated "Florida" room and I've been using a ceramic
cartridge heater. It's a bit noisy, and of course... if you are in
the room, your eyes get very dry.

Just wondering if there are any opinions on actual use out there?

All electric heaters are 100% efficient. Think about it, where could the
energy go except as heat. For that matter you could use a toaster oven or a
light bulb as an electric heater also; they are 100% efficient also.

Different electric heaters have different properties. The disc ones are
designed to have large, relatively cool, heating surfaces. The idea is that
by spreading the heat out, no part gets hot enough to ignite a piece of
paper that you might get careless with.
Other designs have fans, or oil filled tanks, etc. None are inherently
better than others; it is just a matter of which fits your need the best.

Nick Hull

I've always thought that the ceramic disc heaters were more efficient
(?) than the quartz type, but then I heard there's no such thing as an
efficient electric portable heater, its all based on wattage and draw
represents how many watts of heat you can expect.

I use flourescent shop lights for efficient heating. All the input
power winds up as heat, but before it does I get a lot of light. My
wifs says she is cold, I turn on a couple of flourescent lights and she
is instantly warm even though the temperature is unchanged. If I play a
recording of my wood stove's fan she thinks the temp went up 10 deg. If
I turn the sound off she gets chilly.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

m Ransley

All are 100% efficient but Quarts radiant heat objects not air so the
heat can be directed at you not the whole room. It is all individual
preference.