Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CFLs with warm tone?

I have been replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs as they burn out.
Just wondering if anyone has a particular recommendation for a CFL
with a nice warm tone. I am aware of the color temperature rating and
look for it - not all bulbs have it on their packaging - and always
get the "soft white" kind. However, I find that particularly in the
higher wattages (the ones that emulate a 100W incandescent) the CFLs
still have a "cooler" hue than the incandescents they replaced. For
lamps I'd rather have a warmer hue. -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

Heathcliff wrote:
I have been replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs as they burn out.
Just wondering if anyone has a particular recommendation for a CFL
with a nice warm tone. I am aware of the color temperature rating and
look for it - not all bulbs have it on their packaging - and always
get the "soft white" kind. However, I find that particularly in the
higher wattages (the ones that emulate a 100W incandescent) the CFLs
still have a "cooler" hue than the incandescents they replaced. For
lamps I'd rather have a warmer hue. -- H

just a very crazy idea, but I wonder if you couldn't spray paint a CFL
bulb with a cream colored paint to get it to give off that warm, golden
glow of an incandescent bulb? I have 'painted' CFL bulbs that were too
bright for a night light type application. Just spinin' my wheels
here.... paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
m...
Heathcliff wrote:
I have been replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs as they burn out.
Just wondering if anyone has a particular recommendation for a CFL
with a nice warm tone. I am aware of the color temperature rating and
look for it - not all bulbs have it on their packaging - and always
get the "soft white" kind. However, I find that particularly in the
higher wattages (the ones that emulate a 100W incandescent) the CFLs
still have a "cooler" hue than the incandescents they replaced. For
lamps I'd rather have a warmer hue. -- H

just a very crazy idea, but I wonder if you couldn't spray paint a CFL
bulb with a cream colored paint to get it to give off that warm, golden
glow of an incandescent bulb? I have 'painted' CFL bulbs that were too
bright for a night light type application. Just spinin' my wheels here....
paul

You could, but it probably would not be very bright and they would run
hotter. Mine burn out at about the same rate as incandescent bulbs do, I
would not want to shorten their life even more (last ten times longer my
arse, haha. Seven year warranty? Whatta joke...).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 12:45*pm, Heathcliff wrote:
I have been replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs as they burn out.
Just wondering if anyone has a particular recommendation for a CFL
with a nice warm tone. *I am aware of the color temperature rating and
look for it - not all bulbs have it on their packaging - and always
get the "soft white" kind. *However, I find that particularly in the
higher wattages (the ones that emulate a 100W incandescent) the CFLs
still have a "cooler" hue than the incandescents they replaced. *For
lamps I'd rather have a warmer hue. *-- H

Consumer Reports and Popular Mechanics did comparison tests, I use HDs
Invision soft whites they are the cheapest and similar to incandesant
in color, PM rated them best in color, CR rated them for life run
which is ongoing. I pay 1$ for a 9w cfl at HD. Here my utility co
subsidises the 9 and 14w at this time of year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Oman wrote:

Heathcliff wrote:
I have been replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs as they burn out.
Just wondering if anyone has a particular recommendation for a CFL
with a nice warm tone. I am aware of the color temperature rating and
look for it - not all bulbs have it on their packaging - and always
get the "soft white" kind. However, I find that particularly in the
higher wattages (the ones that emulate a 100W incandescent) the CFLs
still have a "cooler" hue than the incandescents they replaced. For
lamps I'd rather have a warmer hue. -- H

Try looking for "warm white" for something a bit closer to incandescent.
3200K is nominal incandescent color temp, and the higher the number the
cooler/whiter/bluer the light becomes. Also note that the human eye does
auto white balance and as long as all the lights in a room are the same
color temperature your eyes will adjust nicely. It is the differences in
color temperature of adjacent light sources that you really notice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
m...
Heathcliff wrote:
I have been replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs as they burn out.
Just wondering if anyone has a particular recommendation for a CFL
with a nice warm tone. I am aware of the color temperature rating and
look for it - not all bulbs have it on their packaging - and always
get the "soft white" kind. However, I find that particularly in the
higher wattages (the ones that emulate a 100W incandescent) the CFLs
still have a "cooler" hue than the incandescents they replaced. For
lamps I'd rather have a warmer hue. -- H

just a very crazy idea, but I wonder if you couldn't spray paint a CFL
bulb with a cream colored paint to get it to give off that warm, golden
glow of an incandescent bulb? I have 'painted' CFL bulbs that were too
bright for a night light type application. Just spinin' my wheels here....
paul

A transparent spray paint or theatrical filter of the right tint would work,
but it's an inefficient solution as a lot of light from the lamp has to be
absorbed to change the color. Keep looking for "warm" CFLs. I've found
that they do vary by manufacturer.

TKM

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Heathcliff wrote:

I have been replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs as they burn out.
Just wondering if anyone has a particular recommendation for a CFL
with a nice warm tone. I am aware of the color temperature rating and
look for it - not all bulbs have it on their packaging - and always
get the "soft white" kind. However, I find that particularly in the
higher wattages (the ones that emulate a 100W incandescent) the CFLs
still have a "cooler" hue than the incandescents they replaced. For
lamps I'd rather have a warmer hue. -- H

Past about 19 or 23 watts or so, they usually do have a slightly harsher
purplish-pinkish tone.

One exception I have found is a Feit 23 watt one - pleasantly
incandescentlike and warm in color. It also appears to me slightly on the
dim side for a 23 watt spiral.

Now for some general trends, besides wattage:

1. Ones with nice color and a color temp. rating have a color temp.
rating of 2700 K. However, a 2700 K rating does not guarantee
incandescent-like color.

2. My experience is that Sylvania ones are on the pinkish-purplish side.

3. Look for a less miniaturized size and tubing diameter for the wattage.
More-miniaturized sizes in my experience generally have stronger mercury
spectral features - and generally a harsher color.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 5:58*pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In ,

Heathcliff wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I picked some Feits and they are a little better than the ones
I had (which were N:vision). The N:vision ones will go into the attic
or basement or someplace. -- H