Posted to alt.home.repair
Zoot Zoot is offline

Default CFLs with warm tone?

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
m...
Heathcliff wrote:
I have been replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs as they burn out.
Just wondering if anyone has a particular recommendation for a CFL
with a nice warm tone. I am aware of the color temperature rating and
look for it - not all bulbs have it on their packaging - and always
get the "soft white" kind. However, I find that particularly in the
higher wattages (the ones that emulate a 100W incandescent) the CFLs
still have a "cooler" hue than the incandescents they replaced. For
lamps I'd rather have a warmer hue. -- H

just a very crazy idea, but I wonder if you couldn't spray paint a CFL
bulb with a cream colored paint to get it to give off that warm, golden
glow of an incandescent bulb? I have 'painted' CFL bulbs that were too
bright for a night light type application. Just spinin' my wheels here....
paul

You could, but it probably would not be very bright and they would run
hotter. Mine burn out at about the same rate as incandescent bulbs do, I
would not want to shorten their life even more (last ten times longer my
arse, haha. Seven year warranty? Whatta joke...).