Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

Default CFLs with warm tone?

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
m...
Heathcliff wrote:
I have been replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs as they burn out.
Just wondering if anyone has a particular recommendation for a CFL
with a nice warm tone. I am aware of the color temperature rating and
look for it - not all bulbs have it on their packaging - and always
get the "soft white" kind. However, I find that particularly in the
higher wattages (the ones that emulate a 100W incandescent) the CFLs
still have a "cooler" hue than the incandescents they replaced. For
lamps I'd rather have a warmer hue. -- H

just a very crazy idea, but I wonder if you couldn't spray paint a CFL
bulb with a cream colored paint to get it to give off that warm, golden
glow of an incandescent bulb? I have 'painted' CFL bulbs that were too
bright for a night light type application. Just spinin' my wheels here....
paul

A transparent spray paint or theatrical filter of the right tint would work,
but it's an inefficient solution as a lot of light from the lamp has to be
absorbed to change the color. Keep looking for "warm" CFLs. I've found
that they do vary by manufacturer.

TKM