Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default CFLs with warm tone?

On Dec 1, 5:58*pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In ,

Heathcliff wrote:
I have been replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs as they burn out.
Just wondering if anyone has a particular recommendation for a CFL
with a nice warm tone. *I am aware of the color temperature rating and
look for it - not all bulbs have it on their packaging - and always
get the "soft white" kind. *However, I find that particularly in the
higher wattages (the ones that emulate a 100W incandescent) the CFLs
still have a "cooler" hue than the incandescents they replaced. *For
lamps I'd rather have a warmer hue. *-- H

* Past about 19 or 23 watts or so, they usually do have a slightly harsher
purplish-pinkish tone.

* One exception I have found is a Feit 23 watt one - pleasantly
incandescentlike and warm in color. *It also appears to me slightly on the
dim side for a 23 watt spiral.

* Now for some general trends, besides wattage:

1. *Ones with nice color and a color temp. rating have a color temp.
rating of 2700 K. *However, a 2700 K rating does not guarantee
incandescent-like color.

2. *My experience is that Sylvania ones are on the pinkish-purplish side.

3. *Look for a less miniaturized size and tubing diameter for the wattage.
More-miniaturized sizes in my experience generally have stronger mercury
spectral features - and generally a harsher color.

*- Don Klipstein )

Thanks, I picked some Feits and they are a little better than the ones
I had (which were N:vision). The N:vision ones will go into the attic
or basement or someplace. -- H