Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PVC pipe

Any way to decouple pvc once it's been glued? I've got a piece I'd like
to take off. It's too close to the wall to cut. If not I'll have to rig
up something else to get the drain to line up on a bath vanity.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 6:55*pm, wrote:
Any way to decouple pvc once it's been glued? I've got a piece I'd like
to take off. It's too close to the wall to cut. If not I'll have to rig
up something else to get the drain to line up on a bath vanity.

Thanks

The short answer is No. Your drain line from the bathroom vanity is probably ABS plastic (black), not PVC (white or grey). When an ABS fitting is glued (yellow glue), you have about a minute to get it apart again if you need to. Put a hammer handle into the pipe or fitting and pry it off. If its older than that, the question becomes "What is the best tool for cutting it off?"
You could remove the basin so you could reach it better. You could cut some gyproc out so you could cut the drain line further back, then start again with a coupling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 8:55*pm, wrote:
Any way to decouple pvc once it's been glued? I've got a piece I'd like
to take off. It's too close to the wall to cut. If not I'll have to rig
up something else to get the drain to line up on a bath vanity.

Perhaps with a dremel and a lot of patience, but I doubt what's left
would make a good bond with the new material. Drywall is cheap and
easy. Dig in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 7:55*pm, wrote:
Any way to decouple pvc once it's been glued? I've got a piece I'd like
to take off. It's too close to the wall to cut. If not I'll have to rig
up something else to get the drain to line up on a bath vanity.

Thanks

You can cut pvc with a piece of nylon string. Just grab the ends of
the sting and do a see-saw action across the pipe. A great trick when
there is no room for a blade. Check out the video here...
http://www.revver.com/video/594602/h...with-a-string/

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the same problem twice.

I solved it by installing a trap that had two bellows in it. It could be
bent so that the in/out were closer together than on a standard trap. I
bought it at Lowes. Cost about $1.50.

Another solution is to make the piece that comes out longer, bend it
slightly and come out past the sink tailpiece. Install the trap in the
reverse direction.

Neither fix is very pretty, but they have both worked for me.

HTH,

EJ in NJ

wrote:
Any way to decouple pvc once it's been glued? I've got a piece I'd like
to take off. It's too close to the wall to cut. If not I'll have to rig
up something else to get the drain to line up on a bath vanity.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks ..there is no vanity there at this point. A plumber put in a
curved piece as I was conteplating pushing the new vanity up against
the wall to the side. The new vanity is smaller than the old one by
about 7 inches as the original one was an odd 43"size.

He cut the old pipe using the string method before he glued the new
piece. Now I've decided to center the 36" vanity on the wall. I'll just
use the extra bend here or there method. I figure while I'm waiting for
the vainity to come in I'd be able to do something. I've had to gerry
rig traps before, I just don't like the unprofessional look of it when
it's done...

By the way, it IS white pvc. Not sure what the difference is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Nov 29, 7:55 pm, wrote:
Any way to decouple pvc once it's been glued? I've got a piece I'd like
to take off. It's too close to the wall to cut. If not I'll have to rig
up something else to get the drain to line up on a bath vanity.

Thanks

You can cut pvc with a piece of nylon string. Just grab the ends of
the sting and do a see-saw action across the pipe. A great trick when
there is no room for a blade. Check out the video here...
http://www.revver.com/video/594602/h...with-a-string/

An old guitar string will work also.