Posted to alt.home.repair

Default restrictor for humidifier water feed?

I just turned on my humidifier for the winter... noticed this last year
as well, a lot of the water goes right through the unit. Is there a
commonly available valve or restrictor that I could splice into the feed
line for this so that I could adjust it so only the barest of trickles
comes out of the drain tube while the unit is operating? Seems a shame
to waste all that water (that I have to pay for...)

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 9:28*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
I just turned on my humidifier for the winter... *noticed this last year
as well, a lot of the water goes right through the unit. *Is there a
commonly available valve or restrictor that I could splice into the feed
line for this so that I could adjust it so only the barest of trickles
comes out of the drain tube while the unit is operating? *Seems a shame
to waste all that water (that I have to pay for...)

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

On some units that water that is going through the unit is by
design. Too little water and it will quickly clog up with deposits.
The extra water tends to wash the deposits away and to dilute the
water enough that they don't form in the first place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 9:34*am, wrote:
[...]

It's true that it needs some water flowing through to carry out the
minerals left behind as the water evaporates. But I don't see why
this has to be more than a small steady stream. I adjusted this by
just closing the saddle valve to get the desired flow rate. I'd say I
cut it by half and still had a reasonable flow, surely enough to take
out the minerals. And it would seem the water flow could vary by
quite a bit from install to install depending on the water pressure,
etc. No sense wasting water and energy. You would think the
manufacturers would spec a min flow rate, but I've never seen it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

I just turned on my humidifier for the winter... noticed this last year
as well, a lot of the water goes right through the unit. Is there a
commonly available valve or restrictor that I could splice into the feed
line for this so that I could adjust it so only the barest of trickles
comes out of the drain tube while the unit is operating? Seems a shame
to waste all that water (that I have to pay for...)

thanks

A needle valve ought to be available that you can adjust as needed.
Other options would be a float valve to maintain a particular fill
level, or a solenoid valve to turn on the water only when the unit is
operating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Nov 22, 9:34 am, wrote:
[...]

I haven't tried this, but I was thinking the saddle valve being
basically a stop valve, would leak if in any position other than
completely open or closed, because then only the packing wouldb e
holding back water pressure?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 09:28:51 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

I just turned on my humidifier for the winter... noticed this last year
as well, a lot of the water goes right through the unit. Is there a
commonly available valve or restrictor that I could splice into the feed
line for this so that I could adjust it so only the barest of trickles
comes out of the drain tube while the unit is operating? Seems a shame
to waste all that water (that I have to pay for...)

thanks

nate

My unit has a plastic flow restrictor in the tubing. Just a bushing
that cuts the diameter of the tubing roughly in half. You could
probably fashion something to do the same thing. Heck if it's copper
tubing feeding it, you could just flatten it carefully with pliers
until you get the flow you want.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
I just turned on my humidifier for the winter... noticed this last year
as well, a lot of the water goes right through the unit. Is there a
commonly available valve or restrictor that I could splice into the feed
line for this so that I could adjust it so only the barest of trickles
comes out of the drain tube while the unit is operating? Seems a shame
to waste all that water (that I have to pay for...)

thanks

nate

What is the make & model of your humidifier?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The advantage is that the media panel doesn't load up with minerals and
dissolved solids. Which would be left, after the water was evaporated into
humdity. I'd not want to try to improve on that design. The wasted water
isn't all that expensive.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
I just turned on my humidifier for the winter... noticed this last year
as well, a lot of the water goes right through the unit. Is there a
commonly available valve or restrictor that I could splice into the feed
line for this so that I could adjust it so only the barest of trickles
comes out of the drain tube while the unit is operating? Seems a shame
to waste all that water (that I have to pay for...)

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 8:16*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
The advantage is that the media panel doesn't load up with minerals and
dissolved solids. Which would be left, after the water was evaporated into
humdity. I'd not want to try to improve on that design. The wasted water
isn't all that expensive.

It's not just the water, but also the heat loss that goes with it.
The furnace is warming up the water, which is then being thrown
away. Everyone agrees that some water flow through the media is
necessary to keep minerals from building up. The question is, should
it be a pint minute or a gallon, etc. With energy cost what they are
today, it seems to me if you can easily save even just a little, it
adds up and can be worth it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

I just turned on my humidifier for the winter... *noticed this last year
as well, a lot of the water goes right through the unit. *Is there a
commonly available valve or restrictor that I could splice into the feed
line for this so that I could adjust it so only the barest of trickles
comes out of the drain tube while the unit is operating? *Seems a shame
to waste all that water (that I have to pay for...)

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 8:28*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
I just turned on my humidifier for the winter... *noticed this last year
as well, a lot of the water goes right through the unit. *Is there a
commonly available valve or restrictor that I could splice into the feed
line for this so that I could adjust it so only the barest of trickles
comes out of the drain tube while the unit is operating? *Seems a shame
to waste all that water (that I have to pay for...)

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

That's why steam based humidifiers are becoming more popular. They
waste almost no water at all. Here is an example:

http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php...product=172409

JK