Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water filter for whole house humidifier

I use an AprilAire whole house humidifier and have a huge dust problem
in winter from the minerals in the water. Can anyone recommend the
best type water filter unit and cartridge to put into the water line
to the humidifier?

Thanks,

Ed S.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 11:33*am, "
wrote:
I use an AprilAire whole house humidifier and have a huge dust problem
in winter from the minerals in the water. *Can anyone recommend the
best type water filter unit and cartridge to put into the water line
to the humidifier?

Thanks,

Ed S.

Do you have a water softener in your home
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 12:33*pm, "
wrote:
I use an AprilAire whole house humidifier and have a huge dust problem
in winter from the minerals in the water. *Can anyone recommend the
best type water filter unit and cartridge to put into the water line
to the humidifier?

Thanks,

Ed S.

Are you making the mistake of using softened water to the
humidifier? Softened water does not usually remove the dust problem
and can make it worse.

Are you sure the problem is coming from the water/humidifier?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 1:14*pm, ransley wrote:
On Jul 19, 11:33*am, "
wrote:

I use an AprilAire whole house humidifier and have a huge dust problem
in winter from the minerals in the water. *Can anyone recommend the
best type water filter unit and cartridge to put into the water line
to the humidifier?

Thanks,

Ed S.

Do you have a water softener in your home

No. Water comes in straight from the municipal water suppy - Central
Bucks, PA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 1:28*pm, wrote:
On Jul 19, 12:33*pm, "
wrote:

I use an AprilAire whole house humidifier and have a huge dust problem
in winter from the minerals in the water. *Can anyone recommend the
best type water filter unit and cartridge to put into the water line
to the humidifier?

Thanks,

Ed S.

* *Are you making the mistake of using softened water to the
humidifier? *Softened water does not usually remove the dust problem
and can make it worse.

* *Are you sure the problem is coming from the water/humidifier?

The AprilAire uses a simple evaporation pad/element with redirected
plenum air. I don't have a water softener. I did a search of the
archives here and the concensus was to use point of use filters
instead of point of entry. I'm thinking a filter that filters out
"sediment" or the stuff that becomes sediment. I run the A/C the rest
of the year and don't have an excess dust problem during A/C use.

Ed S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 11:21*am, "
wrote:
On Jul 19, 1:28*pm, wrote:

On Jul 19, 12:33*pm, "
wrote:

[...]

Ed-

What model you have?

Depending on your water chemistry you might have hard water problem
(disolved minerals).

I'm pretty sure that a "filter" won't help you.

I thinking you need some sort of RO system
or a demineralization cartridge (they somehow magically scavenge the
minerals but will need to be replaced based on water hardness & water
usage)

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 11:21*am, "
wrote:
On Jul 19, 1:28*pm, wrote:

On Jul 19, 12:33*pm, "
wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I didn't read you post carefully enough.
If you have a truly evaporative humidifier then I'm stumped about the
source of the dust.

My experience with humidifier dust is with ultrasonic type...they
atomize the water rather than evaporating it, thus sending out tiny
droplets of mineralized water.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I'm thinking a filter that filters out
"sediment" or the stuff that becomes sediment. I run the A/C the rest
of the year and don't have an excess dust problem during A/C use.

Ed S.
*************************************

A filter will take out any sediment, but the real problem is the dissolved
solids in the water that remain behind when it evaporates. You need a
softener or RO system to take them out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 3:35*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

A filter will take out any sediment, but the real problem is the dissolved
solids in the water that remain behind when it evaporates. *You need a
softener or RO system to take them out.

Yea, I agree. I have one of their "pad" humidifiers (I don't
think they make a "spray" type. After use there is a fair amount of
dusty deposits on the pad. I suggest that the OP may want to replace
their pads more often and that might help. I replace mine once a
year. They don't do too bad, because the over supply the water needed
and drain out the excess so it does not cause as much of a problem.
In my case I don't have a problem beyond the humidifier area.

A second thought would be to increase the amount of water delivered
so more drains out. That could prevent the problem as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 12:33*pm, "
wrote:
I use an AprilAire whole house humidifier and have a huge dust problem
in winter from the minerals in the water. *Can anyone recommend the
best type water filter unit and cartridge to put into the water line
to the humidifier?

Thanks,

Ed S.

Thank you to all for your replies.