Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whole House Water Filter

Anyone out there own the OmniFilter U25 Whole House Water Filter? I've had
mine for over a year now, but I can't get it to seal after a recent filter
change. I've always kept the O-Ring Lubricated with faucet grease and the
Threads of the cartridge holder wrapped with Teflon Tape. I've tried
several times but I just can't get it to seal.
The filter holder is screwing into the housing correctly, not
crosss-threaded.

Any Ideas?

Thanks In Advance,
-a12vman

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jul 10, 12:35 pm, "a12vman" wrote:
Anyone out there own the OmniFilter U25 Whole House Water Filter? I've had
mine for over a year now, but I can't get it to seal after a recent filter
change. I've always kept the O-Ring Lubricated with faucet grease and the
Threads of the cartridge holder wrapped with Teflon Tape. I've tried
several times but I just can't get it to seal.
The filter holder is screwing into the housing correctly, not
crosss-threaded.

Any Ideas?

Thanks In Advance,
-a12vman

Try changing the o-ring.

If that doesn't work, I just had to tighten it some more. Sometimes
I've been to the point of wondering how I would get it back off
without breaking it.

Of it's just a slow drip, it'll probably seal itself in a day or so.
They do that for some reason.

Use one of those old-fashioned cloth pipe-wrenches to take it off and
hope you don't crush it. Not fun when on a ladder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 12:35 pm, "a12vman" wrote:
Anyone out there own the OmniFilter U25 Whole House Water Filter? I've had
mine for over a year now, but I can't get it to seal after a recent filter
change. I've always kept the O-Ring Lubricated with faucet grease and the
Threads of the cartridge holder wrapped with Teflon Tape. I've tried
several times but I just can't get it to seal.
The filter holder is screwing into the housing correctly, not
crosss-threaded.

Any Ideas?

Thanks In Advance,
-a12vman

Get rid of the tape on the housing threads. All they require is to be
clean. They are not (tapered) pipe threads so they don't seal, they
just tighten the sump into the head.

O-ring seals seal without more effort/force than hand tight plus ever
so little bit more, so if you are using a wrench to tighten the sump
until you can't turn it anymore, that's probably why it won't seal.
Over tightening o-rings is the primary cause of leaks. It stretches
and overly compresses them.

The best lubricant for o-rings is water or silicon for potable water
use only. Do not use anything else; like Crisco, vegetable oils or
petroleum based anything. They damage o-rings and void warranties.

Omni is not the best choice for disposable cartridge filter housings.
They either leak or you can't them apart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 12:35 pm, "a12vman" wrote:
Anyone out there own the OmniFilter U25 Whole House Water Filter? I've had
mine for over a year now, but I can't get it to seal after a recent filter
change. I've always kept the O-Ring Lubricated with faucet grease and the
Threads of the cartridge holder wrapped with Teflon Tape. I've tried
several times but I just can't get it to seal.
The filter holder is screwing into the housing correctly, not
crosss-threaded.

Any Ideas?

Thanks In Advance,
-a12vman

I have had mine, an Omnifilter, for over 15yrs. Never had one drip
from it....None. I'd try another O-Ring. If it leaked from day one
it may be the plastic housing has a problem and I would swap it out.
The filters DO NOT need teflon tape to create a seal, thats what the O-
Ring is there for. But for the most part, it should never leak.
Don't beleive the "it will seal itself" statements. A leak is a leak
is a leak. Fix it and stop it from leaking. Leaks will only create
BIGGER problems if left to un-attended.

-paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

My experience always has slow leaks caused by grit on the Oring. I get alot
of sand in mine and rinsing the O ring off just never seems to get it out.
I always have to remove the O ring and totally dry it with a clean towel.
and than clean the O ring channel with a dry towel. and than clean the O
ring sealing surface with a dry towel. SOmetimes I will lube the O ring but
not always (dependds if I can find the lube)

You dont need the teflon tape. the seal is done with the O ring, not the
threads

"a12vman" wrote in message
Anyone out there own the OmniFilter U25 Whole House Water Filter? I've
had mine for over a year now, but I can't get it to seal after a recent
filter change. I've always kept the O-Ring Lubricated with faucet grease
and the Threads of the cartridge holder wrapped with Teflon Tape. I've
tried several times but I just can't get it to seal.
The filter holder is screwing into the housing correctly, not
crosss-threaded.

Any Ideas?

Thanks In Advance,
-a12vman

Posted to alt.home.repair

The best lubricant for o-rings is water or silicon for potable water
use only. Do not use anything else; like Crisco, vegetable oils or
petroleum based anything. They damage o-rings and void warranties.

I've been using vasoline for 10 years now; the o-rings look brand new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:49:37 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

The best lubricant for o-rings is water or silicon for potable water
use only. Do not use anything else; like Crisco, vegetable oils or
petroleum based anything. They damage o-rings and void warranties.

I've been using vasoline for 10 years now; the o-rings look brand new.

Vick's Vapo Rub in the Winter months :-))

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..