Posted to alt.home.repair

Default closet door- limited space?

I have a tiny bedroom with a small closet attached to it.

The bedroom is 8x11. Along one 11foot wall is the 30" entrance and a
30" closet door. The closet door is centered on a closet that is
about 7 ft wide and 3ft deep.

I've just got a rough [32x80] hole there now and some jamb material
out by the table saw.

I like pocket doors but don't want to steal the room from either the
closet or bedroom. My wife is thinking that 2 louvered 15" doors
will work for her.

My first thought was saloon type double acting spring hinges - but now
I'm wondering if a pivot hinge mounted on the bedroom side might give
more room to move boxes in and out of the closet.

The planned 'primary' use for this little room will be as an office &
storage space.

Any thoughts on handy, sturdy, space saving doors? [I'm a child of
the 60's so I've even considered strings of beads- but SWMBO is a
little more conventional.]

Thanks,
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Nov 20, 8:50*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

Why put doors on it. Just fill it full of stuff then build a custom
bookcase to fill the hole. Put the bookcase on rollers so you can
move it the 1 or 2 times a year you need something from the closet.
The flush-mounted bookshelf will look sweat in the office.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

[...]

Widen the rough opening to six or seven feet and use double sliding
doors.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

The bedroom is 8x11. Along one 11foot wall is the 30" entrance and a
30" closet door. The closet door is centered on a closet that is
about 7 ft wide and 3ft deep.

If you have enough overhead space (not specified) you could
instal a vertical sliding door (adapted from a roll-top desk)
i.e. make it an ornamental feature of the room.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a tiny bedroom with a small closet attached to it.
The bedroom is 8x11. Along one 11foot wall is the 30" entrance and a
30" closet door. The closet door is centered on a closet that is
about 7 ft wide and 3ft deep.
I've just got a rough [32x80] hole there now and some jamb material
out by the table saw.
The planned 'primary' use for this little room will be as an office &
storage space.
Any thoughts on handy, sturdy, space saving doors?

How about a curtain? You could make it match the window curtains if you
wanted to.

Or, how about making a face frame and a couple of cabinet doors and
disguising the opening as a cabinet? I built a couple of armoires for my
daughters bedroom with cabinet doors. They don't take a lot of space to
open, give full access to the opening, and look great.

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:

On Nov 20, 8:50*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I have a tiny bedroom with a small closet attached to it.

-snip-
Any thoughts on handy, sturdy, space saving doors? *

Why put doors on it. Just fill it full of stuff then build a custom
bookcase to fill the hole. Put the bookcase on rollers so you can
move it the 1 or 2 times a year you need something from the closet.
The flush-mounted bookshelf will look sweat in the office.

So far I like this best.

When I mentioned it to my wife she remembered that her father had made
their attic access the same way 50 yrs ago.

Thanks-
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:50:57 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

[...]

After using them for many years I hate louvered doors. I like the
clean look of pocket doors, plus the space-saving advantage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Look he

http://www.hideadoor.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

Look he

http://www.hideadoor.com/

There's some great ideas there. I haven't done anything cool like
that in decades--- I think I've found something better than digging
in the basement to take up most of my winter.g

Thanks
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:

-snip-

After using them for many years I hate louvered doors. I like the
clean look of pocket doors, plus the space-saving advantage.

I wasn't crazy about the louvered doors- but it looks like I'll make a
bookcase door anyway.

I like pocket doors, too. But in this room & closet the 4 inches it
would take from either would really make a difference.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:44:30 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
.. .

The bedroom is 8x11. Along one 11foot wall is the 30" entrance and a
30" closet door. The closet door is centered on a closet that is
about 7 ft wide and 3ft deep.

If you have enough overhead space (not specified) you could
instal a vertical sliding door (adapted from a roll-top desk)
i.e. make it an ornamental feature of the room.

Cool idea- I wish I had the ceiling height. The ceilings are 82". The
guy who built this in 1896 must've been a short guy. [and the guy
who built the addition in the 30's either measured wrong or was even
shorter. Those ceilings upstairs were 75". I raised them years
ago- but there is a large usable attic over this end of the house.]

Thanks,
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I have a tiny bedroom with a small closet attached to it.

The bedroom is 8x11. Along one 11foot wall is the 30" entrance and a
30" closet door. The closet door is centered on a closet that is
about 7 ft wide and 3ft deep.

-snip-
Widen the rough opening to six or seven feet and use double sliding
doors

Normally that would make the best access for a 24" closet. But since
this space is 3' deep- I'm going to go with 2 3ft rods- and use 1/2
the center space for shelving.

I think I'd lose usable space your way. Both in the room and
closet.

Thanks,
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote

The bedroom is 8x11. Along one 11foot wall is the 30" entrance and a
30" closet door. The closet door is centered on a closet that is
about 7 ft wide and 3ft deep.

Huge closet by my standards!

Any thoughts on handy, sturdy, space saving doors? [I'm a child of
the 60's so I've even considered strings of beads- but SWMBO is a
little more conventional.]

Saw a really unique treatment once that I liked the looks of. It was a
small windowless room so they created the impression of a window by using
curtins for a closet door. They even had a subtle back lighting so it
looked a bit like sunshine was behind them. Effect was like having a patio
door there when in the room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"SteveBell" wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I have a tiny bedroom with a small closet attached to it.

The bedroom is 8x11. Along one 11foot wall is the 30" entrance
and a 30" closet door. The closet door is centered on a
closet that is about 7 ft wide and 3ft deep.

-snip-
Widen the rough opening to six or seven feet and use double sliding
doors

Normally that would make the best access for a 24" closet. But since
this space is 3' deep- I'm going to go with 2 3ft rods- and use 1/2
the center space for shelving.

I think I'd lose usable space your way. Both in the room and closet.

It's a suggestion. I make a lot of them, but few are taken. :-)

Here's another:
Widen the opening, and make the entire closet into a recessed shelf and
desk. You've probably seen wet bars done this way. A cabinet at the
bottom would give you hidden storage and a desktop, and you can put
movable shelves at the top.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 8:12*am, "SteveBell"
wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

You've already decided how you are going to use your space but let me
tell you what I had done last year. I had an addition put on my house
with two projects for the original part of the house. One was to make
a 5 ft. wide have easier access. It had a 24" wide door and I had
that taken down and the wall removed to give full access to the
space. After some new drywall and finishing I had a ClosetMaid closet
system installed which just means I now have a full length shelf and
closet hanging bar. Oh dear, I am soooooo pleased with this
renovation!! I did not want sliding doors as the center of the closet
cannot be accessed and I didn't want to do the 'door shuffle' every
time I was in that closet. Also, I didn't want any bi-fold so I opted
for a heavy canvas grommet curtain that matches my new bedroom paint.

For me this arrangement is absolutely perfect!! Full access to the
'new' closet!! But I love those door from that site that was posted
of the doors that have shelves on them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How would a pocket door 'steal' the room from the closet or BR? It slides
inside the wall so neither room has to account for the door swing. A good
set of pocket door hardware will last you many years without problem, and
even if you have something like a chair in front of the door you could still
have some access into the closet without having to move the furniture as you
might if it were a standard hinged door
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 7:52*am, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

I may have missed it but....I had minimum space in remodeling the
bath. Put a narrow closed in next to the commode with 2x4 framing 'on
the flat' and used bifold doors. True that they do take just a little
room to open/close inside the closet but they are not intrusive
outside when open.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 5:50*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

Bifold doors should work well. I vote with a couple others. Widen
that door opening.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 19:16:23 -0500, "Mark" wrote:

How would a pocket door 'steal' the room from the closet or BR? It slides
inside the wall so neither room has to account for the door swing.

-snip-

The closet is 3x7 with the door centered on the 7'side. That leaves
me 24" [room to hang a row of clothes] on either side of the door.

First I'd have to move the 30 inch door to one side so I'd lose
'clothes hanging' space-- and make a 'deep side' in the closet where
things would get lost. [I know because I just moved the door from
way over on one side to the center]

I've only done one other pocket door- and I did it by leaving the
existing studs and adding a false wall for the door to slide into. It
has been trouble free for 20 yrs- so I would feel compelled to do the
same in this case. So I would need to take the 4" for the pocket out
of the closet- and lose almost another foot of floor space- and end up
with a 2'8" wide closet on that side.

I know you can't see it from where you are, but if I put the door on
the outside of the closet I would need to crowd a window too tightly
to be able to use the space for a bookshelf.

The bookshelf was already a passing thought- but looking at those
hidden doors just makes it perfect.

8 feet of bookshelves, 30" of which are also a door will work fine in
this room.

Thanks for your thoughts-
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

Maybe a link to a picture when the project is done?

Good luck.

Lou