Posted to alt.home.repair
LouB LouB is offline

Default closet door- limited space?

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 19:16:23 -0500, "Mark" wrote:

How would a pocket door 'steal' the room from the closet or BR? It slides
inside the wall so neither room has to account for the door swing.

-snip-

The closet is 3x7 with the door centered on the 7'side. That leaves
me 24" [room to hang a row of clothes] on either side of the door.

First I'd have to move the 30 inch door to one side so I'd lose
'clothes hanging' space-- and make a 'deep side' in the closet where
things would get lost. [I know because I just moved the door from
way over on one side to the center]

I've only done one other pocket door- and I did it by leaving the
existing studs and adding a false wall for the door to slide into. It
has been trouble free for 20 yrs- so I would feel compelled to do the
same in this case. So I would need to take the 4" for the pocket out
of the closet- and lose almost another foot of floor space- and end up
with a 2'8" wide closet on that side.

I know you can't see it from where you are, but if I put the door on
the outside of the closet I would need to crowd a window too tightly
to be able to use the space for a bookshelf.

The bookshelf was already a passing thought- but looking at those
hidden doors just makes it perfect.

8 feet of bookshelves, 30" of which are also a door will work fine in
this room.

Thanks for your thoughts-
Jim

Maybe a link to a picture when the project is done?

Good luck.

Lou