Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

Wired doorbells have a transformer which is always on and always using
electricity. This is yet one more thing in the house which does this like
TV, microwave, remote control things, things with clocks, plug-in phones,
etc.

These things add up...

I replaced/rewired my switch so the transformer is only on when the doorbell
button is pressed! Thus the transformer is off most of the time now.

I installed a regular electrical box at my front door, ran 14 ga. romex from
this box to the doorbell transformer, then got a nice brass blank wall
plate, drilled a hole in this plate, then installed a 120V momentary push
switch in the plate. Then wired this to switch on the transformer when the
button is pressed. Then connected the two wires which were going to the old
button so the doorbell would ring as soon as it receives power from the
transformer.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Bill" wrote in
:

[...]

It's probably stamped right on it but I never looked. Any idea how many
watts it's uses in it's standby state?
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

With the cost of the parts, romex, etc. The break even date is probably some
where in the year 2029. You know, third year of the Gonzalez administration.
He took over from the Castro administration.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

It's probably stamped right on it but I never looked. Any idea how many
watts it's uses in it's standby state?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Red Green wrote:
"Bill" wrote in
:

[...]

This whole thread is about chasing the "little yellow hole in the snow."
It's trivial.

When the bell is not ringing, the current that is measured is largely
reactive or imaginary current. It is the current determined by the
transformer's magnetizing inductance. The only dissipation is some
small core heating and trivial wire losses. The true dissipation is far
less than what most are calculating by multiplying measured volts and
measured current.

Worry about something important...like preserving the US Constitution.

Boden

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Boden wrote in :

Red Green wrote:
"Bill" wrote in
:

[...]

Yellow holes in snow are not trivial.

Watch out where the huskies go and dont you eat that yellow snow. [Frank
Zappa]

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Nov 19, 9:21*pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

Congratulations, you've just saved yourself 25 cents a year in
electricity.
Not to mention it might not be safe if someone is standing on wet
pavement and they gey shocked by 120V.
You probably spent more in the material than if you let the Xfmr stay
on for 20 years.
Now how are you going to deal with the TV, fridge, phone, alarm clock,
microwave. Wait don't forget VCR/DVD player, cable box, heating
system, computer, sprinkler timer,
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:44:47 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

On Nov 19, 9:21Â*pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

Geeze, I replaced the transformer powered doorbell in my house 10
years ago with a 15 buck wireless chimer. Couple screws and it's
done. Replaced the AAA batteries once in all that time.

--Vic
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Vic Smith wrote:

Congratulations, you've just saved yourself 25 cents a year in
electricity.
Not to mention it might not be safe if someone is standing on wet
pavement and they gey shocked by 120V.

Geeze, I replaced the transformer powered doorbell in my house 10
years ago with a 15 buck wireless chimer. Couple screws and it's
done. Replaced the AAA batteries once in all that time.

$15 at 25c/year means you'll recover your costs in 60 years. But the
batteries cost, oh, $1.00 every ten years, so that's another six bucks which
will take another 12 years to recover. But 12 years means one more set of
batteries, which requires another four years. Let's see, now (mumble,
mumble, carry-the-three), ah, yes.

Your wireless solution will save you money after a mere 73 years of service.
This does not count lost opportunity costs of the original $15.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:44:40 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

Congratulations, you've just saved yourself 25 cents a year in
electricity.
Not to mention it might not be safe if someone is standing on wet
pavement and they gey shocked by 120V.

Geeze, I replaced the transformer powered doorbell in my house 10
years ago with a 15 buck wireless chimer. Couple screws and it's
done. Replaced the AAA batteries once in all that time.

$15 at 25c/year means you'll recover your costs in 60 years. But the
batteries cost, oh, $1.00 every ten years, so that's another six bucks which
will take another 12 years to recover. But 12 years means one more set of
batteries, which requires another four years. Let's see, now (mumble,
mumble, carry-the-three), ah, yes.

Your wireless solution will save you money after a mere 73 years of service.
This does not count lost opportunity costs of the original $15.

But my chimes sound better. Aren't esthetics worth anything?
Do the math.

--Vic

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

Congratulations, you've just saved yourself 25 cents a year in
electricity.
Not to mention it might not be safe if someone is standing on wet
pavement and they gey shocked by 120V.

Geeze, I replaced the transformer powered doorbell in my house 10
years ago with a 15 buck wireless chimer. Couple screws and it's
done. Replaced the AAA batteries once in all that time.

$15 at 25c/year means you'll recover your costs in 60 years. But the
batteries cost, oh, $1.00 every ten years, so that's another six bucks which
will take another 12 years to recover. But 12 years means one more set of
batteries, which requires another four years. Let's see, now (mumble,
mumble, carry-the-three), ah, yes.

Your wireless solution will save you money after a mere 73 years of service.
This does not count lost opportunity costs of the original $15.

Delete from that cost the cost of repairing/replacing whatever was
wrong with the original system (cost of transformer, button, chime and
wire plus labour to replace)

He might still be saving money.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

On Nov 19, 9:21 pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

Doorbells once used carbon-zinc batteries. Their shelf life wasn't
good. That explains the change to transformers.

I've tried battery-powered wireless door chimes. I used AA alkalines,
which have a much longer shelf life than conventional carbon-zinc. The
problem was the current draw of the receivers. A set of batteries would
last only a few months, and a lot of visitors might leave frustrated
before I realized my chime was out of service.

How about a wired chime using a lithium battery? The battery could
outlast a transformer and be cheaper to replace.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

On Nov 19, 9:21 pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

Haven't had that problem like that. Just checked to see if it worked,
since I don't get a lot of visitors. It works.
The receiver uses 2 C's, so I was wrong on that. The pushbutton is
unlighted. You can hear the chimes from outside, so you know it's
working. But there's a knocker on the door too, just in case.
Ending my part in doorbells and knockers discussion. That's all I
know. Carry on.

--Vic

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

E Z Peaces wrote:
I've tried battery-powered wireless door chimes. I used AA alkalines,
which have a much longer shelf life than conventional carbon-zinc. The
problem was the current draw of the receivers. A set of batteries would
last only a few months, and a lot of visitors might leave frustrated
before I realized my chime was out of service.

Why use battery-powered chimes (as opposed to transmitters)? My
wireless chimes plug into outlets (upstairs and downstairs chimes).
Being as they make noise, it's not like precise location is critical.
The transmitters use a "N" battery every 3-4 years. You do have to
check occasionally to make sure it's still working.

The operating cost (75 cents per year for batteries, and whatever the
line draw is) is probably more than a transformer-operated bell but
we're way down in the noise range of expense.

Dave
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Dave Garland wrote:
E Z Peaces wrote:
I've tried battery-powered wireless door chimes. I used AA alkalines,
which have a much longer shelf life than conventional carbon-zinc. The
problem was the current draw of the receivers. A set of batteries would
last only a few months, and a lot of visitors might leave frustrated
before I realized my chime was out of service.

Why use battery-powered chimes (as opposed to transmitters)? My
wireless chimes plug into outlets (upstairs and downstairs chimes).
Being as they make noise, it's not like precise location is critical.
The transmitters use a "N" battery every 3-4 years. You do have to
check occasionally to make sure it's still working.

The operating cost (75 cents per year for batteries, and whatever the
line draw is) is probably more than a transformer-operated bell but
we're way down in the noise range of expense.

Dave

If I went wireless again, I use an outlet-powered receiver. I'd be
concerned about its service life and how much power it sucked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 21:22:40 -0600, wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:00:16 -0600, Dave Garland
wrote:

E Z Peaces wrote:
I've tried battery-powered wireless door chimes. I used AA alkalines,
which have a much longer shelf life than conventional carbon-zinc. The
problem was the current draw of the receivers. A set of batteries would
last only a few months, and a lot of visitors might leave frustrated
before I realized my chime was out of service.

Why use battery-powered chimes (as opposed to transmitters)? My
wireless chimes plug into outlets (upstairs and downstairs chimes).
Being as they make noise, it's not like precise location is critical.
The transmitters use a "N" battery every 3-4 years. You do have to
check occasionally to make sure it's still working.

The operating cost (75 cents per year for batteries, and whatever the
line draw is) is probably more than a transformer-operated bell but
we're way down in the noise range of expense.

Dave

The thing is, there is a doorbell that does not need any electrical
power. Simply mount a nice looking brass bell on the wall next to the
door, using a bracket. Drill a small hole in the wall a couple feet
above the bell, and attach a piece of nylon string to the bell. Push
the other end of the string thru the hole in the wall and let it hang
outside. Put a nice wooden bead on the end of the string. Then place
a sign that reads "PULL STRING FOR DOORBELL".

Cost: The price of the bell, bracket, string and bead. No further
costs for life, and no electrical energy needed ever.

Neat idea. I once used a metal crank that went through the middle of
the door and to a beautiful brass bell on the inside of the door. The
whole mechanism was unique and functional, although too ornate and too
loud for my taste. The Adams Family had a cool doorbell.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In , letterman@inv*.* wrote:

The thing is, there is a doorbell that does not need any electrical
power. Simply mount a nice looking brass bell on the wall next to the
door, using a bracket. Drill a small hole in the wall a couple feet
above the bell, and attach a piece of nylon string to the bell. Push
the other end of the string thru the hole in the wall and let it hang
outside. Put a nice wooden bead on the end of the string. Then place
a sign that reads "PULL STRING FOR DOORBELL".

Cost: The price of the bell, bracket, string and bead. No further
costs for life, and no electrical energy needed ever.

You just reminded me of the doorbell at "Neighborhood Bike Works", AKA
"The Bike Church". That outfit uses some space at a church.

There is a sign sying, as best as I remember: "Pull brake lever to ring
doorbell".

They have a handlebar mounted onto something or other close to the
handrail for the stairway for that offbeat entrance into the church
complex. The brake lever is connected to a brake cable, that is routed
through a small diameter hole in the exterior wall. Apparently, the other
end of the brake cable pulls the lever on a bicycle bell that is suitably
mounted.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

E Z Peaces wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

Geeze, I replaced the transformer powered doorbell in my house 10
years ago with a 15 buck wireless chimer. Couple screws and it's
done. Replaced the AAA batteries once in all that time.

Doorbells once used carbon-zinc batteries. Their shelf life wasn't
good. That explains the change to transformers.

I've tried battery-powered wireless door chimes. I used AA alkalines,
which have a much longer shelf life than conventional carbon-zinc. The
problem was the current draw of the receivers. A set of batteries would
last only a few months, and a lot of visitors might leave frustrated
before I realized my chime was out of service.

I don't understand why this is a problem.

How about a wired chime using a lithium battery? The battery could
outlast a transformer and be cheaper to replace.

Or rechargeables. The precharged NiMH ones seem to hold their charge
for a long time.

Ours just emits a strangled sort of buzz; replacing it with a cheap
wireless one would be a definite advantage if it weren't for the fact
that our friends all know to knock -- anybody who rings the "bell" only
wants to convert us to something or sell us something.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

E Z Peaces wrote:

I've tried battery-powered wireless door chimes. I used AA alkalines,
which have a much longer shelf life than conventional carbon-zinc. The
problem was the current draw of the receivers. A set of
batteries would last only a few months, and a lot of visitors might
leave frustrated before I realized my chime was out of service.

How about a wired chime using a lithium battery? The battery could
outlast a transformer and be cheaper to replace.

How about a brass door-knocker which needs no electricity from any source?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Nov 19, 11:13*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
E Z Peaces wrote:
I've tried battery-powered wireless door chimes. *I used AA alkalines,
which have a much longer shelf life than conventional carbon-zinc. The
problem was the current draw of the receivers. *A set of
batteries would last only a few months, and a lot of visitors might
leave frustrated before I realized my chime was out of service.

How about a wired chime using a lithium battery? *The battery could
outlast a transformer and be cheaper to replace.

How about a brass door-knocker which needs no electricity from any source?

But...but...but...what is the payback? A brass door knocker will run
some bucks and if you only spend 25 cents/yr on electric....

Harry K
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:13:13 -0800, "DGDevin"
wrote:

E Z Peaces wrote:

I've tried battery-powered wireless door chimes. I used AA alkalines,
which have a much longer shelf life than conventional carbon-zinc. The
problem was the current draw of the receivers. A set of
batteries would last only a few months, and a lot of visitors might
leave frustrated before I realized my chime was out of service.

How about a wired chime using a lithium battery? The battery could
outlast a transformer and be cheaper to replace.

How about a brass door-knocker which needs no electricity from any source?

Or the old "crank" bell - or the one with the plunger you push
(kinda like an old Klaxon horn)
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

On Nov 19, 9:21 pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

outlast a transformer and be cheaper to replace.- Hide quoted text -

Make your own batteries?
As mentioned before; in the 1950s I found the remnants of of some
original LeClanche cells.
Leclanche cells were renewable. A glass jar with a carbon stick
positive anode that never wore out, immersed in a strong solution of
alkali (called Sal-ammoniac) and a zinc plate negative. Wires were
attached to the carbon and zinc.
When the zinc wore away and/or the Sal-ammoniac dried out spares could
be purchased at a local hardware/iron-mongers store.
With todays low power solid state (transistor) devices perhaps we
could make our own batteries out of sea water, vinegar or household
bleach and scrap iron????????
Now if I could only make one (several) big enough to run those 'dud
battery' cordless drills I have lying around!!!!!! :-)
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

well I suppose you could use a battery to power the normal doorbell
button with no light and trip a solid state relay, that would power
the transformer just to ring bell.

taken futher a solar panel could keep the battery charged.

or heck go solar completely with LED lights you might be able to have
the button light up

probably cost a few hundred bucks, to save a dollar or two a year.

put the solar panel somewhere it cant be stolen. they can be costly.

someone has too much time on their hands

cut out a decent candy bar a day, at a buck each and save 300 to 400
bucks a year
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

On Nov 19, 9:21 pm, "Bill" wrote:

[...]

How about the electrodes being stuck in a potato? :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

On Nov 19, 9:21*pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

Why not just a plain-old fashioned door knocker? No batteries, works
well, very reliable, even works if the power is off, and it's *green*
(especially if made from cheap brass imported from China!)
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Why not just a plain-old fashioned door knocker? No batteries, works
well, very reliable, even works if the power is off, and it's *green*
(especially if made from cheap brass imported from China!)-

the cheao chinese brass was a big polluter in china ands added to
world pollution

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

With any luck, he'll also remember the computer, the hair dryer, the pump
in the fish tank, and all the other big power drains.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mikepier" wrote in message

Congratulations, you've just saved yourself 25 cents a year in
electricity.
Not to mention it might not be safe if someone is standing on wet
pavement and they gey shocked by 120V.
You probably spent more in the material than if you let the Xfmr stay
on for 20 years.
Now how are you going to deal with the TV, fridge, phone, alarm clock,
microwave. Wait don't forget VCR/DVD player, cable box, heating
system, computer, sprinkler timer,

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Stormin Mormon wrote:

With any luck, he'll also remember the computer, the hair dryer, the pump
in the fish tank, and all the other big power drains.

Don't forget the clock on the microwave.

--
Cheers,
Bev
"There's an apocryphal (I hope not !) story about a Bristol bike
thief found cold, wet and bedraggled one morning, D locked by the
neck to a local bridge." -- Anon
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Mikepier wrote in
:

On Nov 19, 9:21*pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

Gotta dig back in my 60's damaged memory synapses but the AC wires in the
walls generate an electromagnetic field. Metal that passes through these
fields gets induced voltage. So, if you have any metal in what you wear
or carry in your pocket you're sucking "some" level of power. Maybe can
save another .04 a year by instituting a buck naked policy indoors. Huh?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Red Green wrote:

Gotta dig back in my 60's damaged memory synapses but the AC wires in the
walls generate an electromagnetic field. Metal that passes through these
fields gets induced voltage. So, if you have any metal in what you wear
or carry in your pocket you're sucking "some" level of power. Maybe can
save another .04 a year by instituting a buck naked policy indoors. Huh?

Depending on the climate zone you're in (I keep my house at ~55F in the
winter, and treatment for hypothermia will eat up your savings). In the
right climate, a buck naked policy could be well worth it in
entertainment value alone.

Dave

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Nov 19, 6:21*pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

My first thought when reading this was "ok...so we'd save a few
pennies a month". But I investigated and found a rather interesting
read related to your theory where the author actually tested the
doorbell transformer using a Kill-A-Watt:

http://www.newenglandbreeze.com/nl/TEM20080901.html

Luckily my doorbell isn't lighted, so it's probably not worth my time
and effort to change.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Seerialmom wrote in
:

On Nov 19, 6:21*pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

Great... I'll eat the three bucks a year and take the beating for being
an environmental criminal.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:44:09 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

Seerialmom wrote in
:

On Nov 19, 6:21Â*pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

The KillA Watt does not compensate for the terrible power factor of
an idle transformer - It will be indicating significantly higher than
the actual power disipation of the transformer.
The incandescent lamp in the lighted doorbel button is likely 80% of
the real draw.

Put a power factor correction capacitor across the transformer primary
and I'll bet the KillAWatt reads less than 1 watt.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

The KillA Watt does not compensate for the terrible power factor of
an idle transformer - It will be indicating significantly higher than
the actual power disipation of the transformer.
The incandescent lamp in the lighted doorbel button is likely 80% of
the real draw.

Put a power factor correction capacitor across the transformer primary
and I'll bet the KillAWatt reads less than 1 watt.

The 4400, which I think is their base model, is supposed to show volts,
amps, volt-amps, power factor, watts, Hertz, kilowatt hours, and hours.
Accuracy is advertised at 0.2%.

Almost all customers love it. I was about to buy one until I read a
review by someone who claims to have bought several for an R&D lab.

He found them inaccurate when new, and they were likely to freeze when
current exceeded 7 amps. This made them useless for anything with a
starting surge that high.

All failed between 30 and 50 hours, giving wild readings or none at all.

I believe him because his description is good. It reminds me of
problems I've had with DMMs that can measure up to 10 amps. If you run
several amps through a resistor with little mass, I suppose sudden
temperature changes can lead to microscopic cracks, which affect
accuracy and cause increasingly fast deterioration. I imagine
Kill-a-watt's manufacturer could solve the problem with R&D.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:14:47 -0500, wrote:

[snip]

The incandescent lamp in the lighted doorbel button is likely 80% of
the real draw.

Can you get doorbell buttons with LEDs?

[snip]

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Seerialmom" wrote in message
On Nov 19, 6:21 pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

$3.15/year. Pretty good deal.

Olddog

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Seerialmom wrote:
On Nov 19, 6:21 pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

yeah, the article stated 3 lousy watts for a *lighted* doorbell. I doubt
that an unlighted doorbell switch even draws a watt. It's a transformer
but it has *no* load on it at all except for the brief moment it's pushed.
Much ado about Nothing.

One watt for a year would be about a dollar a year. The payback
on all the OP's effort will take a Long time. g

doorbell Eric Home Repair 9 October 17th 06 04:05 AM
i want a doorbell that.... xrongor Home Repair 9 February 1st 05 02:12 AM
Doorbell that you can shu barry martin Home Repair 2 December 13th 04 11:02 PM
Third party electricity meter to verify electricity bills New Question Home Repair 6 November 24th 04 08:27 AM
Outside doorbell Martin Pentreath UK diy 11 November 5th 04 01:02 AM