Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev The Real Bev is offline

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

E Z Peaces wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

Geeze, I replaced the transformer powered doorbell in my house 10
years ago with a 15 buck wireless chimer. Couple screws and it's
done. Replaced the AAA batteries once in all that time.

Doorbells once used carbon-zinc batteries. Their shelf life wasn't
good. That explains the change to transformers.

I've tried battery-powered wireless door chimes. I used AA alkalines,
which have a much longer shelf life than conventional carbon-zinc. The
problem was the current draw of the receivers. A set of batteries would
last only a few months, and a lot of visitors might leave frustrated
before I realized my chime was out of service.

I don't understand why this is a problem.

How about a wired chime using a lithium battery? The battery could
outlast a transformer and be cheaper to replace.

Or rechargeables. The precharged NiMH ones seem to hold their charge
for a long time.

Ours just emits a strangled sort of buzz; replacing it with a cheap
wireless one would be a definite advantage if it weren't for the fact
that our friends all know to knock -- anybody who rings the "bell" only
wants to convert us to something or sell us something.

--
Cheers,
Bev