Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new water heater drain valve

ok I went to sears and got a 40 gallon gas water heater. brought it
home to do some new item maintance on it so it will last longer.

I'm trying to install a brass drain valve,instead of the plastic
spigot thats on there now. when I attempt to take plastic spigot off
it doesn't even budge. I'm turning it counter clockwise as directed on
numberous websites but doesn't seem to want to move.

its built by a.o. smith in october of this year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 11:47*am, flir67 wrote:
ok I went to sears and got a 40 gallon gas water heater. brought it
home to do some new item maintance on it so it will last longer.

I'm trying to install a brass drain valve,instead of the plastic
spigot thats on there now. when I attempt to take plastic spigot off
it doesn't even budge. I'm turning it counter clockwise as directed on
numberous websites but doesn't seem to want to move.

its built by a.o. smith in october of this year.

Call the maker, maybe its glued in.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 19, 12:47*pm, flir67 wrote:
ok I went to sears and got a 40 gallon gas water heater. brought it
home to do some new item maintance on it so it will last longer.

I'm trying to install a brass drain valve,instead of the plastic
spigot thats on there now. when I attempt to take plastic spigot off
it doesn't even budge. I'm turning it counter clockwise as directed on
numberous websites but doesn't seem to want to move.

its built by a.o. smith in october of this year.

is it an actual plastic spigot, or is it one of those awful things
that you have to turn one way, pull out, then turn the other way, then
there's a stub of plastic nipple left behind? It's hard to describe,
but I know it when I see it. If it looks like a plastic version of a
typical outside spigot, please disregard.

I've had to use either a pipe wrench (if you have space) or a basin
wrench (if you don't) to remove either type, eventually... even a 20
year old plastic spigot came out without breaking when I went to
remove it (had nothing to lose; it was leaking anyway.)

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 10:37*am, ransley wrote:
On Nov 19, 11:47*am, flir67 wrote:

ok I went to sears and got a 40 gallon gas water heater. brought it
home to do some new item maintance on it so it will last longer.

I'm trying to install a brass drain valve,instead of the plastic
spigot thats on there now. when I attempt to take plastic spigot off
it doesn't even budge. I'm turning it counter clockwise as directed on
numberous websites but doesn't seem to want to move.

its built by a.o. smith in october of this year.

Call the maker, maybe its glued in.

I think it is glued in, it looks like there is some white residue more
of the consistantency like caulk in the grooves of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 20, 1:30*pm, N8N wrote:
[...]

forgot to mention, if you are in a high sediment area, use a ball
valve not a spigot (I'd recommend that anyway.) You can get a 3/4"
pipe to garden hose adapter in the brass fittings section of your
local hardware store. Buy a garden hose cap as well just in case
someone kicks the valve. Also use a dielectric nipple to prevent
corrosion; they are available in the water heater area.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

that could be hardened pipe dope

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

ok I went to sears and got a 40 gallon gas water heater. brought it
home to do some new item maintance on it so it will last longer.

I'm trying to install a brass drain valve,instead of the plastic
spigot thats on there now. when I attempt to take plastic spigot off
it doesn't even budge. I'm turning it counter clockwise as directed on
numberous websites but doesn't seem to want to move.

its built by a.o. smith in october of this year.

I bought a GE heater and wanted to do the same. Mine wouldn't budge
either so I left it alone in fear of breaking the pathetic plastic
valve.