Grendel

Default Wet around hot water heater drain valve

I recentlt replaced a leaky hot water heater drain valve with a nice brass
one. However I notice that some of the insulation stays wet around it when I
feel back the rubber grommet. I notice even tiny droplets of water on the
outside of the metal jacket under the grommet. There doesn't appear to be a
leak where valve connects as I can look and see no leak. Also if it leaked
it would leak down and the insulation on the sides wouldn't be wet. What's
the cause of this? It wasn't wet before I replaced the drain valve. I'm
pretty sure because I did this as one of my checls. My drain valve had been
leaking where the water actually drains from and at the handle.

Jeff Wisnia

Grendel wrote:
I recentlt replaced a leaky hot water heater drain valve with a nice brass
one. However I notice that some of the insulation stays wet around it when I
feel back the rubber grommet. I notice even tiny droplets of water on the
outside of the metal jacket under the grommet. There doesn't appear to be a
leak where valve connects as I can look and see no leak. Also if it leaked
it would leak down and the insulation on the sides wouldn't be wet. What's
the cause of this? It wasn't wet before I replaced the drain valve. I'm
pretty sure because I did this as one of my checls. My drain valve had been
leaking where the water actually drains from and at the handle.

Did you use pipe dope or teflon tape on the male threads of that new
valve before you screwed it into the boss on the tank shell.?

Just checking, because you didn't mention it and your post gave no clue
to your level of expertese, so don't be offended if you did use a thread
sealant.

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Grendel

I did use teflon tape but (2 good wraps around on all threads). My
first thought was I somehow messed it up when I screwed it in. However
once again if there was a leak at the drain valve connection this
would not explain it being wet on the sides and top of the insulatio.
I guess maybe the insulation would absorb it all. I have sat with a
flashlight to see if I see any water leaking past and no. I just can't
imagine what is causing this. Could this be some condensation that
brass valves have that plastic doesn't. just throwing it out there. Or
is it possible that the insulation just never dryed and will never
dry? Once again when I replaced it weeks ago water gushed out because
the water heater still had lots of water at the bottom.

Jeff Wisnia wrote in message ...
Grendel wrote:
[...]

Jeff Wisnia

Grendel wrote:

I did use teflon tape but (2 good wraps around on all threads). My
first thought was I somehow messed it up when I screwed it in. However
once again if there was a leak at the drain valve connection this
would not explain it being wet on the sides and top of the insulatio.

It hat water heater old enough to be nearing the end of its life. (Where
we live the water is corrosive enough so that we're hard pressed to get
8 years out of a 10 year warranty heater.)It's possible that you already
have a tiny leak through the shell well above that drain valve location
and that's where the dampness is coming from.

Does the T&P valve thread into a boss on the side of the tank located
above the drain faucet you just changed? There might be a leak at its
threads, but IME if a threaded joint on a brass valve screwed into a
steel boss doesn't leak right after installation, it won't start leaking
unless some blow jars it loose.

But, I have experienced steel pipes rusting out from the inside and
breaking through at the root of a male thread, because that area is
necessarily thinner than the full wall of an unthreaded pipe. That kind
of leak can look awfully much like a thread leak, but it isn't really
that.

I guess maybe the insulation would absorb it all. I have sat with a
flashlight to see if I see any water leaking past and no. I just can't
imagine what is causing this. Could this be some condensation that
brass valves have that plastic doesn't.

I'm sure that the valve itself is far too warm to condense any moisture
out of the surrounding air.

just throwing it out there. Or
is it possible that the insulation just never dryed and will never
dry?

"Never" is a long time. If you leave that rubber ring pulled out or take
it completely off and the insulation isn't dry behind the hole in a
week, I'm betting on a slow leak through the tank shell and you can
start shopping for a new water heater.

Good Luck,

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Oscar_Lives

"Grendel" wrote in message
I recentlt replaced a leaky hot water heater drain valve with a nice brass
one.

Why the hell would you want to heat hot water?

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM
Cost to install gas hot water heater Walleye Home Ownership 8 September 10th 03 03:20 AM