Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Our water heater is 14 years old - replace it?

On Nov 18, 11:25�am, Geek Dad wrote:
On Nov 18, 11:23�am, "Bob F" wrote:

"Geek Dad" wrote in message

It's an A.O. Smith 40 gallon gas water heater.

We can get it replaced, no worries financially. Bradford White, $800
installed.

I just want to know how can you tell how long it will continue to
last?

The HVAC guys that replaced our central air/heating system said we
should consider getting it replaced. Our plumber agreed.

Of course, being Mr. Cynical that I am, they probably need the
business.

Our basement is finished, so we can't really let it go for too long.
So there's that too.

Our realtor says those things can last for a long time. Apparently
longer than 14 years.

So she says one thing, the guys that get paid installing these things
say another.

My wife is now worried that it will go any minute. I try to tell her
to remain calm and tell her that's exactly what the HVAC and plumber
want her to be - paranoid.

Just get 'er done?

Replace the anode and it may last for many years.

The water where you are makes a big difference.- Hide quoted text -

The anode? What does that do and who can repair that - plumber?

Water: �we live in SouthEastern Pennsylvania, does that help?- Hide quoted text -

DONT MESS WITH ANODE ON SUCH A OLD TANK, IT CAN CAUSE LEAK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:54:50 -0500, E Z Peaces
wrote:

Bob F wrote:
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 11/18/08 11:35 am wrote:

DONT MESS WITH ANODE ON SUCH A OLD TANK, IT CAN CAUSE LEAK
As a first-time homeowner in the USA, I had not realized that water heaters
typically have such a short life. My home in Australia had a 25-yr warranty
unit.

Here we have a Ruud gas water heater which looked new enough when we moved in
5 years ago that I thought no more of it.

Now you have me worried. I looked up this unit and found that it had only a
6-year warranty which expired 6 years ago already. I knew nothing about
checking the anode until reading these messages, so I'll do that ASAP.

And I see that manufacturers state that life is related to water pressure.
What is considered reasonable? The last time I checked ours at an outdoor
spigot it showed 80psi.

I assume that a new one is going to have to be installed by a professional?
Typical cost?

If you can do routine plumbing, doing it yourself is not a big deal.

Some building codes require pressure regulators. I think the default
setting is 50 PSI. Some codes require valves to keep water from the
house from flowing back into the mains. In this case, an expansion tank
can protect a water heater by reducing peak pressure.

According to the University of Illinois, water heaters last 13 years on
average. Since many last only 6 or 8, many must last a lot longer. One
plumber says they can easily last 20 years if routinely flushed.

I get a white bucket and connect a length of garden hose to the drain
valve at the bottom of the water heater. I shut off the water heater
and its cold-water supply. Then I put the end of the hose into the
bucket and open the drain valve.

There are two reasons I shut off the cold-water supply. First, I don't
want a mess if I have trouble with the drain valve. Second, shutting
off the supply valve occasionally can keep it in working order.

I turn on the supply valve to flush water from the bottom of the tank
into the bucket. If it's not running clean by the time the bucket is
full, I dump it and flush again. If it had much rust I'd replace the
tank's anode.

Some modern water heaters don't need flushing.

Where water is hard, a water softener can make a water heater last longer.

The last time I replaced a water heater, I had to call a plumber because
I didn't have a crimper or expertise for working with polybutylene pipe.
He charged $100 to make a couple of connections. He was
disappointed that I'd already bought the new water heater. Records show
that he was the one who installed polybutylene in this house, and it was
after widespread problems had come to light. I'm glad I didn't have him
supply the new water heater.

Many new heaters have a "turbulator" that prevents or greatly reduces
sediment buildup. Mine is at least 15 years old - I installed it to
replace the original that was something like 18 years old one
Christmas Eve when it decided to go FUBAR. I flushed it just for the
heck of it yesterday and the water was barely cloudy with no signs of
rust. Standard GSW gas heater.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 06:10:03 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Nov 18, 9:22Â*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 11/18/08 11:35 am wrote:

DONT MESS WITH ANODE ON SUCH A OLD TANK, IT CAN CAUSE LEAK

As a first-time homeowner in the USA, I had not realized that water
heaters typically have such a short life. My home in Australia had a
25-yr warranty unit.

Here we have a Ruud gas water heater which looked new enough when we
moved in 5 years ago that I thought no more of it.

Now you have me worried. I looked up this unit and found that it had
only a 6-year warranty which expired 6 years ago already. I knew
nothing about checking the anode until reading these messages, so
I'll do that ASAP.
And I see that manufacturers state that life is related to water
pressure. What is considered reasonable? The last time I checked ours
at an outdoor spigot it showed 80psi.

I assume that a new one is going to have to be installed by a
professional? Typical cost?

No, you can do it. There are devices to make the job easier.

For example, instead of direct connections to the heater, you can use
sooper-strong, steel-braided hoses. This greatly minimizes the effort
required to get the heater connected. Same with the gas line.

All in all, there are two water connections, one gas connection, and one
blowout-valve connection.

With the money you save on installation labor, you can get a better quality
product, buy a couple of wrenches you might need, the aforementioned hoses,
and still have enough left for a two-week vacation in Monaco.- Hide quoted text -

I'd check the code in your area first - assuming you care about being
compliant.

My grandmother had a stove replaced in her apartment in Massachusetts
and had to pay extra to have it "hard-piped" because the flex pipes
were no longer code. It may have been an local apartment-code thing, I
can't say.

I will say that I have never seen a water heater installed with flex
hoses (for the gas *or* water) but my experience doesn't mean it's not
legal.

One thing that IS required now in KW area is a temperature control
valve - mixes hot and cold to prevent outlet temp from the heater
exceding 49C (120 F) - which by the time it reaches the far end of the
house is just over luke-warm.

Another reason to DIY - the licenced plumber is not allowed to do the
install without that cranky valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 05:18:29 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Nov 18, 11:43?pm, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:
On 11/18/08 05:59 pm I wrote:

On 11/18/08 11:35 am wrote:

DONT MESS WITH ANODE ON SUCH A OLD TANK, IT CAN CAUSE LEAK

As a first-time homeowner in the USA, I had not realized that water
heaters typically have such a short life. My home in Australia had a
25-yr warranty unit.

Here we have a Ruud gas water heater which looked new enough when we
moved in 5 years ago that I thought no more of it.

Now you have me worried. I looked up this unit and found that it had
only a 6-year warranty which expired 6 years ago already. I knew nothing
about checking the anode until reading these messages, so I'll do that
ASAP.

And I see that manufacturers state that life is related to water
pressure. What is considered reasonable? The last time I checked ours at
an outdoor spigot it showed 80psi.

I assume that a new one is going to have to be installed by a
professional? Typical cost?

I've seen people giving good reports of A O Smith units. I understand
that Sears/Kenmore water heaters are made by A O Smith, so any reason to
avoid Kenmore if the price is right? -- and install it myself.

Perce- Hide quoted text -

home depot has better prices than sears, kenmore is just a marketing
name. sears says we want a hot water tank, stove fridge with these
features, and the manufacturer says heres the price.

sears sold the craftsman name, they are now just a licensee, kenmore
name is on the auction block, sears sold off everything non retail,
and is starved for cash because of the economic dump. they may not
survive

Home Despot may not survive either - and they also buy by price. A lot
of what they carry is at best second rate too.