Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Our water heater is 14 years old - replace it?

On Nov 18, 11:25�am, Geek Dad wrote:
On Nov 18, 11:23�am, "Bob F" wrote:

"Geek Dad" wrote in message

It's an A.O. Smith 40 gallon gas water heater.

We can get it replaced, no worries financially. Bradford White, $800
installed.

I just want to know how can you tell how long it will continue to
last?

The HVAC guys that replaced our central air/heating system said we
should consider getting it replaced. Our plumber agreed.

Of course, being Mr. Cynical that I am, they probably need the
business.

Our basement is finished, so we can't really let it go for too long.
So there's that too.

Our realtor says those things can last for a long time. Apparently
longer than 14 years.

So she says one thing, the guys that get paid installing these things
say another.

My wife is now worried that it will go any minute. I try to tell her
to remain calm and tell her that's exactly what the HVAC and plumber
want her to be - paranoid.

Just get 'er done?

Replace the anode and it may last for many years.

The water where you are makes a big difference.- Hide quoted text -

The anode? What does that do and who can repair that - plumber?

Water: �we live in SouthEastern Pennsylvania, does that help?- Hide quoted text -

DONT MESS WITH ANODE ON SUCH A OLD TANK, IT CAN CAUSE LEAK