Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Our water heater is 14 years old - replace it?

It's an A.O. Smith 40 gallon gas water heater.

We can get it replaced, no worries financially. Bradford White, $800
installed.

I just want to know how can you tell how long it will continue to
last?

The HVAC guys that replaced our central air/heating system said we
should consider getting it replaced. Our plumber agreed.

Of course, being Mr. Cynical that I am, they probably need the
business.

Our basement is finished, so we can't really let it go for too long.
So there's that too.

Our realtor says those things can last for a long time. Apparently
longer than 14 years.

So she says one thing, the guys that get paid installing these things
say another.

My wife is now worried that it will go any minute. I try to tell her
to remain calm and tell her that's exactly what the HVAC and plumber
want her to be - paranoid.

Just get 'er done?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Geek Dad" wrote in message
[...]

Replace the anode and it may last for many years.

The water where you are makes a big difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 11:23*am, "Bob F" wrote:
"Geek Dad" wrote in message

[...]

The water where you are makes a big difference.- Hide quoted text -

The anode? What does that do and who can repair that - plumber?

Water: we live in SouthEastern Pennsylvania, does that help?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 11:23�am, "Bob F" wrote:
"Geek Dad" wrote in message

[...]

ask neighbors how long theres lasted.

Ours is 8 years old and due for replacement, around here they always
fail by 10.

new heater will be far more energy efficent.

you might consider installing a drip pan or other arrangement so
future failure cant damage finiushed space.

a buddy built a low block wall, and added drain line to sewer to keep
leak water visible but confined to non finished space,

of course his baSEMENT IS BELOW GROUND LEVEL

his tank leaked while he was on 2 week vacation, filled the basement
with water that finally spilled out front door. drbris had floated
over and clogged basement sewer drain.

did about 70 grand in damage, new furnace, main service and wiring,
basement finished totalled, ruined hardwood floors upstairs, new
kitchen cabinets, mold from all that moisture had started growing

his home looked awesome when complete, his family lived in hotel for
2 months while repairs went on. a exteded stay place.

really code shoul require heater catch basins, and ones for washing
mnachines upstaIRS

homeowners insurance required and paid for the heater catch basin....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Geek Dad" wrote in message
[...]

As an electrician when I see an electrical problem or hazard at a customer's
house I will point it out due to concerns for their safety. It doesn't
matter to me if I correct the problem or if they have someone else do it.
Two professionals gave you their opinion and you think that they just need
the business. You could wait until the water heater fails and then you will
be dealing with potential flooding, no hot water and no time to shop around
for a good price. I would start getting some quotes now and get it done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 11:25*am, Geek Dad wrote:
On Nov 18, 11:23*am, "Bob F" wrote:

"Geek Dad" wrote in message

[...]

Water: *we live in SouthEastern Pennsylvania, does that help?- Hide quoted text -

Water heaters have a sacrificial anode which is made of less noble
metal, typically magnesium I think, so that it will slowly dissolve
via electrolysis, instead of the metal tank. It's the same idea as
putting zinc on the underwater metal of a boat. The anode is a long
rod that screws into the tank from the top. It has a hex head, which
I believe fits a 1 1/8" socket.

You can check the anode every few years and determine how fast it is
being used up, then replace it when appropriate. I don't have
actual enough experience, nor have I ever seen any test data to be
able to tell you if it in fact it does extend the life of the tank
significantly. Also, it helps protect against corrosion to some
extent, but there are more than one failure mechanisms at work.

With a finished basement and a 14 year old gas heater, if it were me,
I'd replace it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 10:21*am, Geek Dad wrote:
[...]

AO smith is a top brand not HD crap, I had a commercial AO unit last
20+ years and I put in a AO condensing tank. But water quality, the
temp you heat it to, and maintenance mean everything. The anode rod is
likely gone. How long do neighbors heaters last, some areas of bad
water get only 5-8 years. Now consider money, your tank was likely
50-55 E.F. new. EF-Energy Factor, is how many cents per dollar it
costs to heat water, 50EF is 50c per dollar is wasted. Most new stuff
if 55-60 EF, a few at 65-70, and condensing are near 80-85EF. Your old
unit could be 35EF with a foot of scale in the bottom, a pilot light
and inefficent burner. So you can go from now 55 EF - 94 EF on
condensing tankless, [ if you can, and if you can live with the
limitations] .

A finished basement should have a pan under the tank that has a
hose that goes to a drain and an Auto Leak Sensing Water Mains
Shutoff. If it was me, tomorrow I would get the Auto Main shutoff
device and research tanks starting at www.energystar.gov EF ratings
are posted. I have tank, condensing AO Tank, and tankless. For my
house I like Tankless best, paying 6- 10$ a month in summer to do gas
laundry, cook, and heat water is great, but tank-condensing tank for a
family has its benefits. What do you pay for Ng in summer months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 11:21*am, Geek Dad wrote:
It's an A.O. Smith 40 gallon gas water heater.

Water heaters rarely, if ever, fail catastrophically. You will notice
a small drip-type leak long before it becomes a spurt or flood, unless
you are not home for weeks at a time.

Mine was 30 years old when I replaced it this last summer. It didn't
leak, it simply didn't keep the water hot, and I finally got sick of
cold showers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 11:41:25 -0500, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

"Geek Dad" wrote in message
[...]

If you are putting in a water heater in the USA and want one that will
outlast you, put in a Vaughn Stone Lined. Only available in Electric
as far as I know, but the hydrastone lined tanks are not only
extremely long-lived, but also quite efficient.
You can realistically expect them to last 50 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Geek Dad" wrote in message
On Nov 18, 11:23 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"Geek Dad" wrote in message

[...]

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...er-anodes.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...&start=10&sa=N

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 12:34*pm, wrote:
On Nov 18, 11:21*am, Geek Dad wrote:

It's an A.O. Smith 40 gallon gas water heater.

Water heaters rarely, if ever, fail catastrophically. You will notice
a small drip-type leak long before it becomes a spurt or flood, unless
you are not home for weeks at a time.

I would have to disagree with that. When my last one went, the first
indication anything was wrong was when I was awakened in the middle of
the night by a very low buzzing or humming sound. It was being
caused by the water flow from a failed tank as it moved through the
cold water pipes. The stream was about half the size of a pencil,
but clearly enough that with a finished basement, it could easily
cause major damage before being noticed. Prior to that, the tank
looked perfectly fine and was about 12 years old.

Also, a friend had his go while away on a business trip. When he came
back, the basement floor was flooded. Again, there was no warning
from a drip or small leak. Clearly you can have serious damage from a
water heater without having a warning from a drip first, and that
damage can certainly occur within a day. Just the typical unfinished
basement, with boxes of crap around, etc would present quite a
headache with not all that much water.

Mine was 30 years old when I replaced it this last summer. It didn't
leak, it simply didn't keep the water hot, and I finally got sick of
cold showers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 12:18*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

family has its benefits. What do you pay for Ng in summer months.- Hide quoted text -

AO smith is a top brand not HD crap, I had a commercial AO unit
last 20+ years

Let's make sure we compare bananas to bananas. Odds are his unit is
not a commercial AO, so let's not build his hopes up.

While AO may not be HD crap, I moved into a house with a 3 YO AO which
began to leak at the bottom less than 2 years later. I replaced it
under warranty. Since you only get the rest of the original warranty
on the replacement unit (I wonder what they know that we don't) when
the new one began to spray water into the flue 6 years later, I was on
my own.

I did not replace it with an AO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have to agree with John.

Although you might get another 10 years from the heater, the inconvenience
of cold showers, and calling a plumber to come out immediately, and possibly
flooding, are consequences that outweigh the cost of a new heater.

Also, I hear it gets very cold in PA.

However, my last heater lasted 18 years, and just quit heating the water.
It was gas.

I'm not a professional electrician or plumber, but I did replace my own
water heater last time. It isn't too difficult.

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Geek Dad" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 1:21*pm, Geek Dad wrote:
[...]

FWIW. Here in eastern Canada; since our first house in 1960 our hot
water tanks have lasted an average of nine years; on both well water
and municipal water supplies, in an area where the water is reputed to
be somewhat acidic. Last one we replaced in December 2006 at a cost
under $250 total, doing the work ourselves.
Our most recent foam insulated replacement, rated as 40 US gallon with
two 3500 watt heaters and top and bottom thermostats, manufactured in
the USA, had identical size and location of connections to the one
replaced, which was leaking. We did also replace the pressure relief
valve which was quite old, cost included.
A cost of $800 seems rather high by our measurement; however we did
buy and pick up the replacement, bring it home (in our pickup) get it
down into our basement, install and then take the old one to the metal
recyclers next trip into town. Thinking back this is the first time
any of our tank replacements has cost anything significantly over
$200; plus own labour.
Regarding failure, don't agonise just replace it. Generally takes a
couple hours maximum once you got the new one home. You'll be
showering from the new one by the time you have cleaned up after
installing and had cup of coffe or tea!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 1:53*pm, wrote:
On Nov 18, 12:34*pm, wrote:

[...]

cold showers.- Hide quoted text -

One night we were dry, next morning it was a flood, ours was not
dripping before it went.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Geek Dad wrote:

Water: we live in SouthEastern Pennsylvania, does that help?

I'm in your general area and with my well water, electric water heaters
only last 6-7 years. When mine have failed, they just start leaking but
none catastrophically to flood basement. I would only replace if it
fails but as others suggest, have some way to catch water if need be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Geek Dad wrote:
On Nov 18, 11:23 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"Geek Dad" wrote in message

[...]

An anode is a metal road that extends into the water from the top of the
tank. It can keep the inside of the tank from rusting. On some tanks
they are easy for a homeowner to replace. It probably needs a good
electrical bond to the tank. I don't know if that precludes using
teflon tape to prevent leaks.

If I contemplated replacing an anode, I'd want to know if it was likely
to be needed for people on my water system, how difficult the job would
be with my tank, and what was the best way to seal the joint.

When I replaced a water heater on a wood floor, I put it in a plastic
tub two inches deep. That way I was able to notice leaks before the
floor got wet. It also keeps the floor dry during maintenance and
repair procedures. I don't know if putting your tank into a shallow tub
would be too much trouble.
Posted to alt.home.repair

E Z Peaces wrote:
Geek Dad wrote:

On Nov 18, 11:23 am, "Bob F" wrote:

"Geek Dad" wrote in message

[...]

An anode is a sacrificial metal element, usually a rod or chain that is
made of a metal that is electrochemically more active than the water
heater tank (aluminum or magnesium alloys). The anode corrodes instead
of the water heater tank. The rod must connect electrically to the tank
so Teflon tape is not a good idea.

Most often the initial failure is a slow leak, not a violent rupture so
placing the water heater in a shallow pan, even if it isn't connected to
a drain is adequate if you also put a leak detector which is connected
to an alarm in the pan.

Rod anodes are difficult to remove or install unless you have high
ceilings. Chain anodes are best for replacements.

Boden
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boden wrote:
E Z Peaces wrote:
Geek Dad wrote:

On Nov 18, 11:23 am, "Bob F" wrote:

"Geek Dad" wrote in message

[...]

I've read that if there's not enough head room, you can bend an anode as
you withdraw it.

How about flushing a couple of gallons from the bottom every year or so?
It would remove sediment. Wouldn't increased rust be a warning to
replace the anode?

The water heater with the pan is in a utility room with lots of traffic.
The leaks I detected with it were at the threaded and soldered
connections at the top of the tank. Because of evaporation, it might
have taken months for the tub to overflow from the drippy leaks.
Without the tub I would have had damage to the wood before I noticed.

I don't remember any catastrophic leaks where I have lived. Maybe it's
because water pressure has been about 40 PSI. Online, I've found that
some water systems specify 80 PSI while others require regulators if
it's above 50.

I wonder if keeping pressure down to 40 or 50 would extend the life of
plumbing and make catastrophic leaks less likely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I have an new water heater ( gas ) in my garage for a spar, because
mine is 8 years old and it always seem's that it will burst or leak
when u are not home. If u got 14 years out of your's, consider
yourself (VERY) lucky and should go down to foxwoods and gamble, just
kidding, and my advice is to replace it, and have a clear conscious
when u go to bed. Good luck, henry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 4:21*pm, Geek Dad wrote:
[...]

There are many boilers that are 30 years and more working perfectly
and you can get spares for them.
Look at the cost. When your boiler was made they probably claimed it
was 80% efficent
Modern ones are 90% or more efficient.
But divide the running cost of the existing boiler, into the cost of
the new one and you can see
it will take a lifetime to save anything-if indeed you can.
You can be sure these people are looking for business.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PerryOne" wrote in message
On Nov 18, 4:21 pm, Geek Dad wrote:
It's an A.O. Smith 40 gallon gas water heater.

We can get it replaced, no worries financially. Bradford White, $800
installed.

I just want to know how can you tell how long it will continue to
last?

snip

My humble opinion. You got 14 years of service from the water heater. You
MIGHT be able to squeeze another year or more out of it. You have a finished
basement. How much are you willing to gamble? If your tank bursts, how much
damage will the water do? How much will it destroy irreplaceable items? How
much inconvenience would it cost? How much of a hassle will you have with
your insurance company? You are just delaying the inevitable. Replace it
and go to sleep without doubts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

My 75 gallon gas-fired AO Smith leaked at exactly the 11 year point,
it gets very heavy usage. It probably would have lasted longer but we
had horrible water for the first 6 years, then got municiple water.
Luckily I spotted the leak while it was still a trickle, but it did
cause some laminate flooring to swell in the basement by the closet
door. After 14 years I'd just go ahead and replace it and rest easy.
AO Smith is a good brand IMHO. My new one is a Rheem 75 gal. which
the plumber had on hand (my back cant take hauling out a 75 gal
myself).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:21:18 -0800 (PST), Geek Dad
wrote:

[...]

I'd keep what I have until it stops working. I know of water tanks to
operate for 30 years. A safety catch pan under the tank with a
hooked-up drain is cheap insurance. A water-sensing alarm (about $40)
is another item to consider.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

is another item to consider.- Hide quoted text -

I had a tank leak inside the flue, water sprayed out everywhere from
the top.......

a new tank is cheap insurance, plus its way more convenent.

had one fail on christmas eve with houseguests coming.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Companies like that love to get into your wallet.......
My elderly mother was nearly a victim when they told her that she was
going to die from carbon monoxide, because the water heater was vented
into a lined block chimney and there is an unused hole in the chimney.
She got a new furnace which vents outside with a pvc pipe. After they
installed the furnace they had this extra hole from the former
furnace. They told her that the chimney needs to be replaced at a
cost of almost $6000. The way they told her, she thought the end was
near, and she would die any moment, if she did not spend that money.

I plugged the hole with a metal cap and some mortar, but mom insisted
that she was still going to die unless the chimney was replaced.
I told her what I did was safe as well as done all the time. She
still did not believe me, so I told her I would call a building
inspector. Rather than call the inspector, I called the furnace
company and told them they must either come and inspect the chimney,
and give a written letter to my mother, saying it's safe, or they
would be sued by my attorney for lying to an elderly person and
upsetting their health.

The guy told me that they just RECOMMENDED the chimney be replaced,
and it was likely safe for just a water heater. I told the asshole
that is NOT what he told my mother, and on her furnace receipt it said
"customer refused required chimney replacement". He said he would
speak with the installer. I never heard back from them after a month,
so I had my attorney contact them. A few days later they send one of
their installers over, he looked at the chimney, and wrote "it appears
safe for a water heater, but not recommended for any furnaces",

I'm damn tired of these companies lying to seniors to rip them off.

Now, she is dealing with some idiot that came to her door and told her
that the tree in her yard was dying and needs to be taken down, at a
cost of $3500. So now she believes the tree is going to fall on the
house. I really got on her case about talking to any door to door
sales people that she did not hire, and told her the tree is fine.
I'm waiting for her to find the business card from that company, and
they will get some nasty words from me.

As for your water heater. You too have been brainwashed by a crook.
*** Dont fix what is NOT broken ***

Before my dad passed away, he knew about that crack, and so did I.
It's because there was once several holes in there for the furnace,
water heater, and a space heater.

Here's another example:

GOT TO KNOW WHEN TO HOLD 'EM

"A man pretending to be a United War [sic - probably "Water"] employee
gained entry to an apartment on Cator Avenue in Jersey City this afternoon
and then stole $3,650 from the 91-year-old resident..."

He told the woman to hold down the toilet flush handle or the apartment
would explode. While granny was running the water, the rodent ransacked her
apartment.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...ior_holds.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:23:30 -0800, "Bob F" wrote:

Replace the anode and it may last for many years.

The water where you are makes a big difference.

Bob F gets my vote for best and most succinct response in the
thread.

I installed my AO Smith 40-gal. gas FSG in '92. Just finished
pulling anode, etc. Draining from tank shows nearly no sediment.
Anode is pretty well pitted, but not at all trashed. After
16 years light use in St. Louis, MO, USA.

Now, if I could just find a replacement anode ... :-)

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc
Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:23:30 -0800, "Bob F" wrote:

Replace the anode and it may last for many years.

The water where you are makes a big difference.

Bob F gets my vote for best and most succinct response in the
thread.

I installed my AO Smith 40-gal. gas FSG in '92. Just finished
pulling anode, etc. Draining from tank shows nearly no sediment.
Anode is pretty well pitted, but not at all trashed. After
16 years light use in St. Louis, MO, USA.

Now, if I could just find a replacement anode ... :-)

I ordered mine from waterheaterrescue.com. Wasn't able to find a local
source for anything larger than RV sized.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:11:09 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:

I ordered mine from waterheaterrescue.com. Wasn't able to find a local
source for anything larger than RV sized.

Thanks. I'll check 'em out.

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 5:42�am, wrote:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:09:45 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
I had a tank leak inside the flue, water sprayed out everywhere from
the top.......

That's a common place to spring a leak. �

it was exciting and upsetting seeing water spraying everywhere.

common surprises me, leak was near top
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

if u say money is no object, just replace it and stop talking about
it. henry