Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another Painting Question

I bought a lamp at a garage sale - great price, bad color. The lamp
is ceramic, glossy finish. I would like to paint it another color
using spray paint.

I have a nearly new can of Kiltz spray sealer, oil based, for use on
drywall, wood, metal and other shiny finishes. It is for covering
stains and stuff. Will that work as a base coat for what I want? I
could spray it on and after it dries, spray with semi-gloss finish
paint.

If that will not work - what should I look for. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dottie" wrote in message
I bought a lamp at a garage sale - great price, bad color. The lamp
is ceramic, glossy finish. I would like to paint it another color
using spray paint.

I have a nearly new can of Kiltz spray sealer, oil based, for use on
drywall, wood, metal and other shiny finishes. It is for covering
stains and stuff. Will that work as a base coat for what I want? I
could spray it on and after it dries, spray with semi-gloss finish
paint.

If that will not work - what should I look for. Thanks.

spray shellac maybe? it sticks to most anything, and most anything else
sprayed on it can stick.

if the object is too shiny, a quick hit with a sandblaster will give paint
some tooth to stick to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 16:24:31 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

"Dottie" wrote in message
I bought a lamp at a garage sale - great price, bad color. The lamp
is ceramic, glossy finish. I would like to paint it another color
using spray paint.

I have a nearly new can of Kiltz spray sealer, oil based, for use on
drywall, wood, metal and other shiny finishes. It is for covering
stains and stuff. Will that work as a base coat for what I want? I
could spray it on and after it dries, spray with semi-gloss finish
paint.

If that will not work - what should I look for. Thanks.

spray shellac maybe? it sticks to most anything, and most anything else
sprayed on it can stick.

if the object is too shiny, a quick hit with a sandblaster will give paint
some tooth to stick to.

Howdy,

The OP mentions "Kiltz" but I assume that is "Kilz."

If so, it is shellac...

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Dottie" wrote in message
[...]

maybe. some kilz is not shellac based. OP stated "Kiltz spray sealer, oil
based". oil based pretty much leaves out shellac. the base for shellac is
alcohol, which wouldn't play well with oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

charlie wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"Dottie" wrote in message

[...]

Kilz has a variety of primers, some for glossy surfaces.
http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=28

I have used it on Formica, but not real glossy surfaces. Primer on
Formica for alky paint in a
bathroom worked very well.....no peeling or chipping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 17:50:01 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Dottie" wrote in message
[...]

Hi again,

Of course you are right... I was assuming the original Kilz,
and had not read the other details with care.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clear penetrating epoxy sealer or low viscosity epoxy sealer will
stick to just about anything. The only problem is in applying it, that
is, finding a brush that won't disintegrate. After it dries, you can
apply a sanding sealer, wet sand, tack off, then spray on an opaque
color coat. A lot of labor. Is the lamp worth the effort?