Posted to alt.home.repair

Default One more painting question

That's what you get for being so helpful. This is a great group.

The window I had installed in the front has those grills that
you can remove. I've decided that, for the time being, I would
like to leave them natural. Natural, yet with a clear protective
finish like polyurethane.

I want something that won't yellow. As far as I'm concerned,
that leaves out Varathane (sp).

I want something that I can then paint over down the road if I
change my mind (it's my perogative).

Before I head out to the paint store, any advice? Thanks.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
The window I had installed in the front has those grills that
you can remove. I've decided that, for the time being, I would
like to leave them natural. Natural, yet with a clear protective
finish like polyurethane.

I want something that won't yellow. As far as I'm concerned,
that leaves out Varathane (sp).

I want something that I can then paint over down the road if I
change my mind (it's my perogative).

Before I head out to the paint store, any advice? Thanks.

Keep in mind once you put on a finish you won't be able to stain them if
that is in your future possibilities. You can paint over it though.

Any oil based coating will yellow them. Water based polyurethane will not.
Deft brushing lacquer stays rather true also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I used marine grade poly on some accessories (rod holders, etc.) I built for
my boat. Not sure about whether I notice yellowing, unless it's been too
gradual to see, but physically, the finish is still intact, and it's exposed
to sun, rain, fish guts, beer, suncreen residue, etc. Of course, since it
comes from a boat store, it costs $2 million per quart, but that's another
issue.

"longshot" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 May 2007 08:46:34 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

That's what you get for being so helpful. This is a great group.

The window I had installed in the front has those grills that
you can remove. I've decided that, for the time being, I would
like to leave them natural. Natural, yet with a clear protective
finish like polyurethane.

I want something that won't yellow. As far as I'm concerned,
that leaves out Varathane (sp).

I want something that I can then paint over down the road if I
change my mind (it's my perogative).

Before I head out to the paint store, any advice? Thanks.

nancy

My first advice is that you tell us what the grills are
made of. I'm guessing wood, or you probably wouldn't
be asking, but it would be good to know for sure.
What coating do you have on the windowsill and casing?
I would duplicate that.

Well, actually, I'd get rid of them entirely. They're
not fooling anyone, and all they do is collect dust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 11:14 am, "longshot" wrote:
[...]

The fake muntins referred to are on the _inside_ of the envelope-
at least I assume that any sane person would put them there. Which
is typically pretty dry.

Big challenge to polyurethane is uv, anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

On May 2, 11:14 am, "longshot" wrote:
if it's exposed to water, polyurethane will be disastrous to maintain.
needing a complete refinish (sanding et al) every couple of years

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Nancy Young" wrote

The window I had installed in the front has those grills that
you can remove. I've decided that, for the time being, I would
like to leave them natural. Natural, yet with a clear protective
finish like polyurethane.

Before I head out to the paint store, any advice? Thanks.

Keep in mind once you put on a finish you won't be able to stain them
if
that is in your future possibilities. You can paint over it though.

Thing is, I'm painting the frame white (on the inside). If I painted them
grills, I'd only paint the side that shows inside. Weird, I know, but white
doesn't go with the outside of my house. For now I would like to leave
them the color they are, but protected so I can clean them.

Any oil based coating will yellow them. Water based polyurethane will
not. Deft brushing lacquer stays rather true also.

Gotcha, water based, that is what I will look for.

The fake muntins referred to are on the _inside_ of the envelope-
at least I assume that any sane person would put them there. Which
is typically pretty dry.

Yes, these are fixed windows, to boot.

Big challenge to polyurethane is uv, anyhow.

The window is pretty well sheltered and doesn't get much sun.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

nancy

Painting Question Dottie Home Repair 1 January 11th 07 05:23 AM
Painting question Eric in North TX Home Repair 6 November 29th 06 08:40 PM
re-painting tile question [email protected] Home Repair 18 September 22nd 06 01:33 PM
Painting question R UK diy 8 September 15th 05 07:18 AM
A painting question.... Peter Home Repair 15 July 16th 05 05:20 AM