Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Laminate Flooring Against Brick Hearth?

Asking for a friend:

What's the best way to install the click-type laminate flooring along
the face of a 10 foot wide brick faced hearth? It's being installed
long side against the hearth.

He's working on a paper template of the grout joints, etc, but isn't
sure he'll be able to cut the laminate precisely enough for a good
fit. I mentioned caulk, but he said there's red brick, grey brick,
mortar and brown flooring. Not sure if any given color of caulk would
work.

He consider a transition piece as molding, but there would still be
gaps behind that so he's not sure he'd like the look.

Any tips from those that have done it before?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 11:34*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Asking for a friend:

What's the best way to install the click-type laminate flooring along
the face of a 10 foot wide brick faced hearth? It's being installed
long side against the hearth.

He's working on a paper template of the grout joints, etc, but isn't
sure he'll be able to cut the laminate precisely enough for a good
fit. I mentioned caulk, but he said there's red brick, grey brick,
mortar and brown flooring. Not sure if any given color of caulk would
work.

He consider a transition piece as molding, but there would still be
gaps behind that so he's not sure he'd like the look.

Any tips from those that have done it before?

Thanks!

A pair of dividers and a jig saw for that first board, if you put a
felt-tip pen in the dividers it makes a better line on the pre-
finished wood than a pencil.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Oct 15, 12:34*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Asking for a friend:

What's the best way to install the click-type laminate flooring along
the face of a 10 foot wide brick faced hearth? It's being installed
long side against the hearth.

He's working on a paper template of the grout joints, etc, but isn't
sure he'll be able to cut the laminate precisely enough for a good
fit. I mentioned caulk, but he said there's red brick, grey brick,
mortar and brown flooring. Not sure if any given color of caulk would
work.

He consider a transition piece as molding, but there would still be
gaps behind that so he's not sure he'd like the look.

Any tips from those that have done it before?

Thanks!

I would think about either using caulk to match the mortar, or trying
mortar in the seam. Haven't done this myself so I can't offer any
exact advice. I do know that my dad had a similar issue in his
basement when he finished it, but that was with tile not hardwood. I
believe he just found some caulk the same color as the tile and that
looked OK.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 12:05*pm, RickH wrote:
[...]

finished wood than a pencil.- Hide quoted text -

Rockler wood tools sells a nice small wheel divider that rolls easily
along the brickface to draw the line too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 1:35*pm, RickH wrote:
On Oct 15, 12:05*pm, RickH wrote:

[...]

along the brickface to draw the line too.- Hide quoted text -

The only wheeled divider I could find at Rockler is
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/im...000-01-500.jpg.

Not sure how this would work on brick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Asking for a friend:

What's the best way to install the click-type laminate flooring along
the face of a 10 foot wide brick faced hearth? It's being installed
long side against the hearth.

He's working on a paper template of the grout joints, etc, but isn't
sure he'll be able to cut the laminate precisely enough for a good
fit. I mentioned caulk, but he said there's red brick, grey brick,
mortar and brown flooring. Not sure if any given color of caulk would
work.

He consider a transition piece as molding, but there would still be
gaps behind that so he's not sure he'd like the look.

Any tips from those that have done it before?

Thanks!

Had the same question when installed mine about 2 years ago. My
solution was to scribe as closely as possible and fill the small gap
with a brown caulk. Most people don't even notice the small caulk strip
because it blends with the floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 1:16*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 15, 1:35*pm, RickH wrote:

On Oct 15, 12:05*pm, RickH wrote:

[...]

The only wheeled divider I could find at Rockler ishttp://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/35000-01-500.jpg.

Not sure how this would work on brick.- Hide quoted text -

They have them at the store I guess, it has wheels of various
diameters that roll on the irregular surface like a toy car. It's
just a niceity anyway, you could just scribe it with dividers then run
the board through the jig saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Asking for a friend:

What's the best way to install the click-type laminate flooring along
the face of a 10 foot wide brick faced hearth? It's being installed
long side against the hearth.

He's working on a paper template of the grout joints, etc, but isn't
sure he'll be able to cut the laminate precisely enough for a good
fit. I mentioned caulk, but he said there's red brick, grey brick,
mortar and brown flooring. Not sure if any given color of caulk would
work.

He consider a transition piece as molding, but there would still be
gaps behind that so he's not sure he'd like the look.

Any tips from those that have done it before?

Grout should work. And you can color it to match the brick.

If you end up contouring the laminate, it might help to use an angle grider
(or some such) on the brick/mortar first to remove the more prominent
irregularities. Or you could use the same angle grinder to undercut the
brick so the laminate would fit UNDER the irregularities.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HeyBub wrote:
Grout should work. And you can color it to match the brick.

Since it's a multi-hued brick, I'd suggest matching the existing grout
instead of the brick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Asking for a friend:

What's the best way to install the click-type laminate flooring along
the face of a 10 foot wide brick faced hearth? It's being installed
long side against the hearth.

He's working on a paper template of the grout joints, etc, but isn't
sure he'll be able to cut the laminate precisely enough for a good
fit. I mentioned caulk, but he said there's red brick, grey brick,
mortar and brown flooring. Not sure if any given color of caulk would
work.

He consider a transition piece as molding, but there would still be
gaps behind that so he's not sure he'd like the look.

Any tips from those that have done it before?

The standard solution is to use a grinder to undercut the brick so the
flooring slides under. It's dusty, and you'll burn through a couple of
grinder disks, depending on how hard your brick turns out to be.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
He's working on a paper template of the grout joints, etc, but isn't
sure he'll be able to cut the laminate precisely enough for a good
fit. I mentioned caulk, but he said there's red brick, grey brick,
mortar and brown flooring. Not sure if any given color of caulk would
work.

He consider a transition piece as molding, but there would still be
gaps behind that so he's not sure he'd like the look.

Any tips from those that have done it before?

Thanks!

He must leave a gap for expansion so it is either caulk or a trim strip on
the top for best results. A "perfect fit" can cause problems.