Default Laminate flooring & Brick Hearth

AKA how to remove Silicone Sealant from bricks!

Have just had a laminate floor fitted, and am wishing I had done it
myself (didn't due to time constraints).

The fitter has stuck the scotia to the front and sides of the brick
fireplace hearth with silicone sealant.

I had the main man from the carpet shoppe round this morning and he
assured me that the fitter had done the right thing, and that had he
not filled in the uneven gap between the bricks and the back of the
scotia it would quickly have got filled with crap and become unsightly.

I (and more particularly SWMBO) on the otherhand don't like the
shinyness of the silicone, which has also been smeared up the brick.

The fitter reconned there was no chance of getting it off at this
stage.

So, onto the questions....

Is it possible to get (clear) silicone seal off bricks, and if so what
it the best method.

If not, I am tempted to remove the scotia and replace it (just around
the hearth) with something else which is taller. Some real wood would
be one option, does anyone have any others?

The bricks are quite dark, the flooring is oak coloured.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.