Posted to alt.home.repair

Default price of potassium choloride for water softner

Does anyone know why the price of potassium choloride is approx $18/40
lb bag? I bought it 6 months ago and it was about $8/40 lb bag.

tia,
chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
Does anyone know why the price of potassium choloride is approx $18/40
lb bag? I bought it 6 months ago and it was about $8/40 lb bag.

tia,
chris

If you're using potassium chloride because of the sodium in the water you
could get a reverse osmosis water filter to remove the salt from the
drinking/cooking water. It's got to be cheaper in the long run. If you're
using soft water through a water filter you don't have to change the filters
as often.

I put in an RO system and it wasn't that difficult. Costco sells them.

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris wrote:

Does anyone know why the price of potassium choloride is approx $18/40
lb bag? I bought it 6 months ago and it was about $8/40 lb bag.

tia,
chris

It's used in making fertilizers and the demand (especially China) has
been growing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
On Oct 11, 4:12 pm, "Old and Grunpy" t. wrote:
First of all what are you doing with that chemical

I've been using it in my water softener. I live in a town home and
don't have a separate line for my backyard so the softened water is
used to water my plants. From what I've heard I can only use
potassium chloride since using salt would kill my plants.

My wife has been using softener water, salt re-generation, for the past 14
years with no problems with her flower garden or veggie garden. The amount
of residual salt from a softener is less than normal water content. Check
with your water supply company for normal saline content.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
On Oct 11, 4:12 pm, "Old and Grunpy" t. wrote:
First of all what are you doing with that chemical

I've been using it in my water softener. I live in a town home and
don't have a separate line for my backyard so the softened water is
used to water my plants. From what I've heard I can only use
potassium chloride since using salt would kill my plants.

If you dumped the backwash it would but the amount of salt actually in the
water is infinitesimal. The salt is used in the regeneration, not the
normal flow mode.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
On Oct 11, 4:12 pm, "Old and Grunpy" t. wrote:
First of all what are you doing with that chemical

I've been using it in my water softener. I live in a town home and
don't have a separate line for my backyard so the softened water is
used to water my plants. From what I've heard I can only use
potassium chloride since using salt would kill my plants.

i've never heard of that but you should be able to bypass your system
anyway.

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 9:44 am, "retired53" [email protected] wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message

On Oct 11, 4:12 pm, "Old and Grunpy" t. wrote:

First of all what are you doing with that chemical

I've been using it in my water softener. I live in a town home and
don't have a separate line for my backyard so the softened water is
used to water my plants. From what I've heard I can only use
potassium chloride since using salt would kill my plants.

i've never heard of that but you should be able to bypass your system
anyway.

olddog

You can't use water softened with salt on orchids.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message

On Oct 11, 4:12 pm, "Old and Grunpy" t. wrote:

First of all what are you doing with that chemical

I've been using it in my water softener. I live in a town home and
don't have a separate line for my backyard so the softened water is
used to water my plants. From what I've heard I can only use
potassium chloride since using salt would kill my plants.

i've never heard of that but you should be able to bypass your system
anyway.

olddog

You can't use water softened with salt on orchids.

Probably best to put the system on bypass when watering any plants due to
the cost of salt and the fact there is some salt in the water.

I've been watering my indoor plants with soft water without any problems
except my African violet died. I thought it was from improper watering but
it could of been the soften water.

olddog

Salty Tap Water, Kinetico Water Softner jay Home Repair 2 May 28th 07 05:45 PM
Water Softner Craig Home Ownership 5 October 1st 06 03:20 PM
Water Softner CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert Home Repair 6 December 8th 05 03:19 AM
Water Softner Salt Samuel Warren Home Repair 7 December 23rd 04 10:03 PM
Water Softner Installation Jim Home Repair 10 January 23rd 04 03:59 PM