Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Water Softner

Does anyone know if Osmonics/Autotrol DS Series Model 268 Performa are
any good. A couple of my neighbors have them and I've never heard of
this system before. The dealer indicated its performance was similar
to culigans higher end models. Its about the same price as a Culigan
but it sounds like it may be higher quality.

Thanks,
Craig

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Craig wrote:
Does anyone know if Osmonics/Autotrol DS Series Model 268 Performa are
any good. A couple of my neighbors have them and I've never heard of
this system before. The dealer indicated its performance was similar
to culigans higher end models. Its about the same price as a Culigan
but it sounds like it may be higher quality.

Thanks,
Craig

That control has many parts. The Culligan high end control is basically
a Fleck (2510/2750), and has the one moving part in the water stream
piston design. So does the Clack line of controls that improved on the
design while they are the easiest and least expensive to repair of all
controls. The Autotrol costs me, the dealer, less than a Clack or Fleck
control and IMO that's due them being a better quality control valve.
Better quality being defined as longer service free operation.

Performance..... basically all softeners operate/work the same.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Gary Slusser wrote:
controls. The Autotrol costs me, the dealer, less than a Clack or Fleck
control and IMO that's due them being a better quality control valve.
Better quality being defined as longer service free operation.

So as I understand it the Autotrol is better or is the Clack/Fleck
better for them having less parts? Monday I need to ask if there
system has a floater for the brine tank that prevents it from
overflowing.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Craig wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:
controls. The Autotrol costs me, the dealer, less than a Clack or Fleck
control and IMO that's due them being a better quality control valve.
Better quality being defined as longer service free operation.

So as I understand it the Autotrol is better or is the Clack/Fleck
better for them having less parts? Monday I need to ask if there
system has a floater for the brine tank that prevents it from
overflowing.

No, Clack is best and Fleck is next with Autotrol following. Many Fleck
residential valves require special control valve specific tools to work
on them so the cost to maintain them will be higher. The Clack WS-1 can
be totally rebuilt by the most unhandy among us in less than 20
minutes, with nothing more than a screwdriver or pair of Channel lock
pliers (if you don't have the Clack wrench).

The "floater" is a safety brine system in the salt tank, in a brine
well. Some softeners, like Kinetico, Culligan and Autotrol use a simple
styrofoam float on a rod that shuts off the water going into the salt
tank and that is how Kinetico and most Autotrols establish their salt
dose.

Some softener dealers always include a safety brine system using a
Fleck 2310 float controlled valve, it does not establish the salt dose,
the control valve does that. Using a safety brine system depends on if
the dealer wants to include it; I always have and I think it's dumb not
to.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Gary Slusser wrote:
No, Clack is best and Fleck is next with Autotrol following. Many Fleck
residential valves require special control valve specific tools to work
on them so the cost to maintain them will be higher.

I've come across some posts about the autotrol tends to be noiser than
the clack/fleck models. Is this noise from the flapper (it'll be in
the garage so if its just this then I'll probably not hear it), or does
it affect the water pipes running through the house. I saw one post
about decreasing from 1" to 3/4" that may cause the noise but since I'm
staying with 1" I don't think that'll be a problem unless I'm missing
something else that could cause noise. Tomorrow I'm going to look in
the phone book for dealers around me that install/service clack/fleck
models.

tia,
Craig

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Craig wrote:

Gary Slusser wrote:
No, Clack is best and Fleck is next with Autotrol following. Many Fleck
residential valves require special control valve specific tools to work
on them so the cost to maintain them will be higher.

I've come across some posts about the autotrol tends to be noiser than
the clack/fleck models. Is this noise from the flapper (it'll be in
the garage so if its just this then I'll probably not hear it), or does
it affect the water pipes running through the house. I saw one post
about decreasing from 1" to 3/4" that may cause the noise but since I'm
staying with 1" I don't think that'll be a problem unless I'm missing
something else that could cause noise. Tomorrow I'm going to look in
the phone book for dealers around me that install/service clack/fleck
models.

tia,
Craig

In some cases their flapper valves design causes water hammer.

You'd do much better buying over the internet from a guy like me and
installing it yourself or hiring a plumber or handyman to install it.

Gary
Quality Water Associates