Posted to misc.consumers.house
Gary Slusser Gary Slusser is offline

Default Water Softner

Craig wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:
controls. The Autotrol costs me, the dealer, less than a Clack or Fleck
control and IMO that's due them being a better quality control valve.
Better quality being defined as longer service free operation.

So as I understand it the Autotrol is better or is the Clack/Fleck
better for them having less parts? Monday I need to ask if there
system has a floater for the brine tank that prevents it from
overflowing.

No, Clack is best and Fleck is next with Autotrol following. Many Fleck
residential valves require special control valve specific tools to work
on them so the cost to maintain them will be higher. The Clack WS-1 can
be totally rebuilt by the most unhandy among us in less than 20
minutes, with nothing more than a screwdriver or pair of Channel lock
pliers (if you don't have the Clack wrench).

The "floater" is a safety brine system in the salt tank, in a brine
well. Some softeners, like Kinetico, Culligan and Autotrol use a simple
styrofoam float on a rod that shuts off the water going into the salt
tank and that is how Kinetico and most Autotrols establish their salt
dose.

Some softener dealers always include a safety brine system using a
Fleck 2310 float controlled valve, it does not establish the salt dose,
the control valve does that. Using a safety brine system depends on if
the dealer wants to include it; I always have and I think it's dumb not
to.

Gary
Quality Water Associates