Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9B309D44781C9jyanikkuanet@
74.209.136.86:

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 10:00:09 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
Ron Hardin wrote:
I've stripped two of the screws holding the hard
drive in my laptop (apparently lock-tite'd, from
the crack! noise the other two made when unscrewed
in my best philips screwing technique). (The chat
agent on the line unhelpfully had just asked me to
try removing the HD and memory, which is the rough
equivalent in this model of ``remove roof and
temporarily set aside'' for home repairs, as you
have to remove the screen and keyboard to get at
the memory. It must have been a little chat-agent
joke. Anyway that project stopped when the screws
stripped.)

I take it the next step is a screw extractor,
which I see too large a variety of to make a
choice. What's the most probably successful kind
of screw extractor? I have no experience with
extractors. I'd experiment, but would like to get
it done as neatly as possible on the first try.

Very tiny philips screw. A 3/32 drill fits in the
hole left by the other, removed, screws.

I've removed small stripped Phillips head screws
with a Dremel tool. I first cut a slot for a flat
blade screwdriver and if that doesn't work, it's
time to play dentist. There are also the Alden
brand Grabit screw extractors that work very well.

http://www.aldn.com/grabit/

That's great if you're working on a car.

Laptop's don't use #6-#14 screws.

Do you know how big the screws holding in
the hard drive are? Did you notice "Dremel
tool" not hacksaw or die grinder? I can
remove extremely tiny stuck screws with my
Dremel tool. I have some cutting tips that
are not much bigger than the head of a pin.

TDD

the screws are probably recessed into the case so you could not get a
Dremel disc on the head without cutting into the case.

are probably recessed

Possibly something here would help?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=nmial5&s=4
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Ron Hardin wrote:
[...]

What? No explosives? You're no fun.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

vinny had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ws-335140-.htm
:
I think I already replied, not sure why it didn't show up.

Anyways did you try using super glue and and bond the screw drvier and the
screw?

-------------------------------------

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anyway, did you try using super glue and and bond the screw driver and the
screw?

As Rocky said to Bullwinkle, "That trick never works!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron Hardin wrote:

[...]

The Spin-it-out screw remover did the job
http://www.amazon.com/Eazypower-8268.../dp/B000HE9VZY

One screw took a tiny touch of 1/16" drilling first, but the other
didn't even need that.

It's built for #0 screws, is what was attracting about it.

Just put it in a regular multi-bit screwdriver handle and unscrew.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron Hardin wrote in
:

http://www.amazon.com/Eazypower-8268...ers/dp/B000HE9
VZY

One screw took a tiny touch of 1/16" drilling first, but the other
didn't even need that.

It's built for #0 screws, is what was attracting about it.

Just put it in a regular multi-bit screwdriver handle and unscrew.

I was kinda hoping you would try some of my ideas that I posted.... 8-)

Oh,well.....

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron Hardin posted for all of us...

[...]

Yes they have them at ACE Hardware. Heat it with a soldering iron as it's blue
Loctite. A Dell?
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Any way to secure tiny screw on reading glasses? Square Peg Home Repair 86 September 19th 08 06:49 AM
TINY machine screws? T i m UK diy 2 December 23rd 06 11:07 PM
Tiny Screw on Knife Michael Home Repair 4 October 30th 05 06:54 PM
Help finding tiny brass screw, please? Jeepers Metalworking 51 November 17th 03 07:46 PM
Tiny screws for personal stereos, portable radios etc. RonSonic Electronics Repair 0 July 13th 03 07:17 PM