Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any way to secure tiny screw on reading glasses?

I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there
is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon
enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few
months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably
because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Aug 26, 10:06 pm, Square Peg wrote:
I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there
is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon
enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few
months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably
because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

go to your FLAPS and ask them which Loctite product they would
recommend.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:
I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there
is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon
enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few
months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably
because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

Loctite? I understand they make several different flavors- the stuff for
an engine block probably isn't a good idea.
As to where to buy it, maybe a hobby shop where they sell RC cars and
planes and stuff? They use lots of itty-bitty bolts.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:

I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there
is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon
enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few
months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably
because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

special pair of pliers to squeeze the screw. The pliers have a
cone-shaped protrusion on one jaw that spreads the end of the screw.

You'll get a free cleaning and adjustment, if your doctor is any good.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:
I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there
is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon
enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few
months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably
because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

Find someone with a soldering iron and have them solder it, it last
forever. Take a small piece of wire that isn't quite big enough for
the hole where the screw goes, put it in there and drip solder into
the hole. Radio Shack has a low wattage soldering iron that would
probably work, but, I bought a 100 watt SI at Hobby Lobby for around
$10.00, it's the Hobby Lobby brand, it has enough heat to solder
anything.

My old glasses for work are almost totally held together by solder.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:01:26 -0500, Dan Dangerous wrote:
Square Peg wrote:
[...]

use locktight.

The only thing superglue works on is human skin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:13:15 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

[...]

FLAPS = Friendly Local Auto Parts Store?

Better than a hardware store?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 02:58:09 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
wrote:

Square Peg wrote:

[...]

These are $20 reading glasses from the drug store.

Maybe I need a pair of those pliers. Do you know what they are called.
A search for "optical pliers" turned up a lot of choices, but not what
you describe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:
[...]

I have a soldering iron (if it still works). I can certainly give that
a try.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:
[...]

Funny. It sure does work on skin. I actually think it has some sort of
magnetic attraction and can jump several inches to reach the skin. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:
I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there
is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon
enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few
months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably
because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

Hi,
Dap of Krazy glue won't do?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 04:01:40 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Square Peg wrote:
[...]

Is Krazy glue different from superglue?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:
[...]

No. It is worthless brittle tempermental stuff. On a screw, you
could count on the micron roughness on the metalic surfaces to be more
than it can bridge. Gorilla glue might work, but locktight is
designed for exactly this application.
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
Is Krazy glue different from superglue?

No. It is worthless brittle tempermental stuff. On a screw, you
could count on the micron roughness on the metalic surfaces to be more
than it can bridge. Gorilla glue might work, but locktight is
designed for exactly this application.

yup, Loctite's been doing this kinda job for sixty years or so?

see:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...id=48&plid=695

Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:
[...]

That's ridiculous. Solder isn't hot melt glue, to be melted and dribbled
onto something. Solder bonds certain metals together at the molecular
level. No way are you going to solder a tiny screw and nut together when
they're surrounded by plastic.

Use any small pair of pliers to judiciously gall the threads of the
screw just enough so that there's some increased friction with the
threads of the nut. You don't need no stinking fancy optometrist pliers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:
I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there
is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon
enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few
months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably
because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

Careful use of an automatic center punch
could stake the ends of the screws as
they come out of the nuts expanding them
enough to keep them tight. You may be able
to find a small automatic center punch at
your local Lowe's Depot store. After you
obtain one, you may ask yourself "Why did
I never get one of these incredibly useful
gadgets before now?" I have several different
sizes of the things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_center_punch

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-.../dp/B00004T7RJ

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Square Peg" wrote in message
I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there
is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon
enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few
months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably
because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

A little bit of paint on the threads should do it - primer even better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nail polish before assembly
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:06:09 -0700, Square Peg
wrote:

I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there
is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon
enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few
months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably
because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

Loctite will usually hold a screw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Square Peg wrote:

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose.

[...]
Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts?

Loctite brand thread locker, available at any auto parts store.

--
Regards,

Join the UseNet Improvement Project: killfile Google Groups.
http://www.improve-usenet.org

Download Nfilter at http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Leroy" wrote in message
AZ Nomad wrote:
Is Krazy glue different from superglue?

No. It is worthless brittle tempermental stuff. On a screw, you
could count on the micron roughness on the metalic surfaces to be more
than it can bridge. Gorilla glue might work, but locktight is
designed for exactly this application.

yup, Loctite's been doing this kinda job for sixty years or so?

see:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...id=48&plid=695

I would use the blue locktite.It's like a semi permanent bond.
Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Square Peg wrote:
[...]

That is why it is used as a surgical glue for doctors and veterinarians.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Square Peg wrote:

I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand

there is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side

pieces are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut
on the inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I
catch them soon enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put
for another few months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen,

probably because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is

permament, so much the better. I don't know why they don't use
rivets. I will never want to loosen these nuts.

a special pair of pliers to squeeze the screw. The pliers have a
cone-shaped protrusion on one jaw that spreads the end of the screw.

You'll get a free cleaning and adjustment, if your doctor is any
good.

These are $20 reading glasses from the drug store.

Maybe I need a pair of those pliers. Do you know what they are called.
A search for "optical pliers" turned up a lot of choices, but not what
you describe.

In that case, I would get thee to thy workshop and judiciously apply a
center punch.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Square Peg wrote:

I have a soldering iron (if it still works). I can certainly give that
a try.

Probably won't work well on the shiny metal...

The Loctite or peening/spreading/thread-galling suggestions are good.

I've found the nail polish/paint/primer route to (usually) be enough, too.

The only different suggestion I've not seen that has worked on occasion
is a drop of epoxy in a pinch works like Loctite as well...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On my eye glasses, I pulled the screws out, and dabbed clear nail polish
into the hole. Right before bed, so I wouldn't have nail polish vapor near
my eyes. So far, they havn't loosened up. I can't remember how long ago was
that. But it was some time after the Truman administration. Might have been
after Clinton adminstration, too.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Square Peg" wrote in message
I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there
is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon
enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few
months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably
because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think Krazy and Super are both same. Cyanoacrillate.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

Hi,
Dap of Krazy glue won't do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I think Krazy and Super are both same. Cyanoacrillate.

Both are CA based, true, but they are low grade CA products that don't
work nearly as well as what you will find at a hobby shop that caters
to model airplanes. Brands such as ZAP, Mercury, Balsa USA, Handibond
and Bob Smith are far and away superior products that actually perform
the intended functions.

CA will not reliably bond metal to metal, but does work fairly well in
the thread-locker function. The "thin" formula is dribbly, but wicks
into the threads while thicker formulas like "Krazy glue" just sit on
the surface and crack off as soon as you touch them.

Krazy glue doesn't even stick your skin together all that much... Try
some REAL CA sometime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Square Peg wrote:

[...]

Now that's an idea. I guess it didn't occur to me because "glasses"
and "hammer" don't immediately go together in my mind. ;-)

It is a bit of a funny image. There is this old guy with faltering
vision and shakey hands trying to fix his reading glasses by aiming a
center punch at the end of a tiny bolt attached to said reading
glasses with a hammer in the other hand... Visions of glass shards.
Fortunately, the "glasses: are plastic.

Maybe I'll try the loctite first. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:08:57 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

Square Peg wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I wondered if that would actually work or if it would melt the
plastic.

I remember a plumbing project many years ago. I tried to solder a
copper pipe to stop a leak without draining the pipe first. Had a
little trouble getting the pipe hot enough. ;-)

Use any small pair of pliers to judiciously gall the threads of the
screw just enough so that there's some increased friction with the
threads of the nut. You don't need no stinking fancy optometrist pliers.

I tried that without success. The bolt doesn't protrude through the
nut enough to grab and I was not able to squash the nut. Steve's
center punch idea might work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 01:18:49 -0500, Uncle Monster
wrote:

Square Peg wrote:
[...]

Wow. I never heard of these things. I'll get one and give it a try.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 03:55:41 -0400, wrote:

Nail polish before assembly

Does that work? Because it's just sticky enough?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:31:56 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

[snip]

The only thing superglue works on is human skin.

It works better on plastic. It'll come off the skin in a couple of
days (with a layer or 2 of skin).

Don't glue your eyelids together :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:23:29 -0500, Gary H wrote:
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:31:56 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

[snip]

The only thing superglue works on is human skin.

It works better on plastic. It'll come off the skin in a couple of
days (with a layer or 2 of skin).

On plastic, it'll come apart when the object is bumped. It's really
brittle.

Acetone works a lot better for bonding plastic. It temporarily melts the
plastic and when it dries, you're left with a monolythic plastic structure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Use any small pair of pliers to judiciously gall the threads of the
screw just enough so that there's some increased friction with the
threads of the nut. You don't need no stinking fancy optometrist pliers.

I tried that without success. The bolt doesn't protrude through the
nut enough to grab and I was not able to squash the nut. Steve's
center punch idea might work.

Uh, *remove* the screw first, squash threads, then reinstall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:03:15 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

wrote:

Use any small pair of pliers to judiciously gall the threads of the
screw just enough so that there's some increased friction with the
threads of the nut. You don't need no stinking fancy optometrist pliers.

I tried that without success. The bolt doesn't protrude through the
nut enough to grab and I was not able to squash the nut. Steve's
center punch idea might work.

Uh, *remove* the screw first, squash threads, then reinstall.

Oh, I get it. ;-)

I guess the plan would be to leave a few threads at the end intact to
allow the nut to get a foothold.

The problem will be getting the nut to plow thru the mangled threads.
The other end of the bolt is a smooth round brad-like head and it fits
into a wire loop. There is nothing like a hex bolt head to grab. I had
a bit of trouble getting the nut tight enough with clean threads as
the bolt wold also turn.

I'm going to give loctite a try first, then on to more draconian
measures.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Loctite is the solution. I've heard - but don't know - that it can eat
plastic. When I use it for plastic eye glasses I wrap the lenses in
saran wrap or scotch tape until the job is done.

Square Peg wrote:
I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there
is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon
enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few
months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably
because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:53:54 -0700, Bennett Price
wrote:

Loctite is the solution. I've heard - but don't know - that it can eat
plastic. When I use it for plastic eye glasses I wrap the lenses in
saran wrap or scotch tape until the job is done.

Plastic wrap is a good idea. I plan to use just a tiny drop on a
toothpick or something and not get any on the lenses, but I never plan
to super-glue my fingers together, either.