Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Any way to secure tiny screw on reading glasses?

In article ,
Square Peg wrote:

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:01:26 -0500, Dan Dangerous wrote:

Square Peg wrote:
I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there
is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon
enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few
months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably
because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

Find someone with a soldering iron and have them solder it, it last
forever. Take a small piece of wire that isn't quite big enough for
the hole where the screw goes, put it in there and drip solder into
the hole. Radio Shack has a low wattage soldering iron that would
probably work, but, I bought a 100 watt SI at Hobby Lobby for around
$10.00, it's the Hobby Lobby brand, it has enough heat to solder
anything.

My old glasses for work are almost totally held together by solder.

I have a soldering iron (if it still works). I can certainly give that
a try.

That's ridiculous. Solder isn't hot melt glue, to be melted and dribbled
onto something. Solder bonds certain metals together at the molecular
level. No way are you going to solder a tiny screw and nut together when
they're surrounded by plastic.

Use any small pair of pliers to judiciously gall the threads of the
screw just enough so that there's some increased friction with the
threads of the nut. You don't need no stinking fancy optometrist pliers.