Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any way to secure tiny screw on reading glasses?

Paul Oman posted for all of us...

Square Peg wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:27:31 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:05:59 -0700, Square Peg wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:53:54 -0700, Bennett Price
wrote:
Loctite is the solution. I've heard - but don't know - that it can eat
plastic. When I use it for plastic eye glasses I wrap the lenses in
saran wrap or scotch tape until the job is done.
Plastic wrap is a good idea. I plan to use just a tiny drop on a
toothpick or something and not get any on the lenses, but I never plan
to super-glue my fingers together, either.
getting any kind of adhesive on the lens would be bad.

ya think?

just use a dab of clear nail polish.... paul

On the lenses?
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 8:45 am, Square Peg wrote:

Uh, they are *titanium* reading glasses, so I think the frames are
made of, er, ... titanium?

Sorry to butt in, but this thread is fascinating. The OP said they
were $20 glasses. I doubt one can buy much titanium for that price,
even in China...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 01:18:49 -0500, Uncle Monster
wrote:

Square Peg wrote:
I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there
is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon
enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few
months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably
because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

Careful use of an automatic center punch
could stake the ends of the screws as
they come out of the nuts expanding them
enough to keep them tight. You may be able
to find a small automatic center punch at
your local Lowe's Depot store. After you
obtain one, you may ask yourself "Why did
I never get one of these incredibly useful
gadgets before now?" I have several different
sizes of the things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_center_punch

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-.../dp/B00004T7RJ

Amazon has several others:

http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-18A-A...9872873&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-18B-A...9872873&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-...9873150&sr=8-4

Are they all pretty much the same?

Do I need a small one and a larger one? As long as I am justifying
tools to the bean counter...

Those are all the mid sized tools. I have
that size, bigger and smaller. The small
pocket sized punch is probably more what
you would use on tiny screws. I just used
mine on some #4 machine screws to stake
them.

http://www.generaltools.com/Products...Punch__87.aspx

You can grind or file the point to make it
sharper for fine work. I use my punches as
screw starters in wood too. When I hang a
shelf or piece of equipment on a backboard
and want it to be straight and level, I mark
the mounting points then use the punch to
make a hole in the center of my pencil mark
so the screw doesn't wander off to points
unknown.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:32:42 -0500, "Al"
wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Square Peg wrote:
I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there
is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon
enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few
months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably
because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

Loctite? I understand they make several different flavors- the stuff for
an engine block probably isn't a good idea.
As to where to buy it, maybe a hobby shop where they sell RC cars and
planes and stuff? They use lots of itty-bitty bolts.

--
aem sends...

Green Loctite will "wick" into the threads then cure.

It looks like this is working. The little nuts usually take a few
months to work loose after I hand tightened them with needlenose
pliers, so we'll see. But at least I didn't glue my fingers to the
glasses or to each other like I always do with super glue.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Square Peg wrote:
[...]

I just got the GT-ACP you suggested. Cool little tool. I never knew it
existed. Thanks for the tip. It will come in handy. (You can never
have too many tools.)

However, when I tried it on the glasses, I couldn't keep it on thje
end of the little bolt. It looks like it has a rounded end. I almost
punched a hole in the glasses. Maybe someone with better coordination
and better eyesight could make it work.

I think the Loctite will do the job, but I am very glad to have this
little tools.

Thanks