Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Hardin Ron Hardin is offline

Default Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

Ron Hardin wrote:

I've stripped two of the screws holding the hard
drive in my laptop (apparently lock-tite'd, from
the crack! noise the other two made when unscrewed
in my best philips screwing technique). (The chat
agent on the line unhelpfully had just asked me to
try removing the HD and memory, which is the rough
equivalent in this model of ``remove roof and
temporarily set aside'' for home repairs, as you
have to remove the screen and keyboard to get at
the memory. It must have been a little chat-agent
joke. Anyway that project stopped when the screws
stripped.)

I take it the next step is a screw extractor,
which I see too large a variety of to make a
choice. What's the most probably successful kind
of screw extractor? I have no experience with
extractors. I'd experiment, but would like to get
it done as neatly as possible on the first try.

Very tiny philips screw. A 3/32 drill fits in the
hole left by the other, removed, screws.

The Spin-it-out screw remover did the job
http://www.amazon.com/Eazypower-8268.../dp/B000HE9VZY

One screw took a tiny touch of 1/16" drilling first, but the other
didn't even need that.

It's built for #0 screws, is what was attracting about it.

Just put it in a regular multi-bit screwdriver handle and unscrew.