DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/262098-screw-extractor-tiny-laptop-screws.html)

Ron Hardin October 7th 08 09:00 AM

Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

I've stripped two of the screws holding the hard
drive in my laptop (apparently lock-tite'd, from
the crack! noise the other two made when unscrewed
in my best philips screwing technique). (The chat
agent on the line unhelpfully had just asked me to
try removing the HD and memory, which is the rough
equivalent in this model of ``remove roof and
temporarily set aside'' for home repairs, as you
have to remove the screen and keyboard to get at
the memory. It must have been a little chat-agent
joke. Anyway that project stopped when the screws
stripped.)

I take it the next step is a screw extractor,
which I see too large a variety of to make a
choice. What's the most probably successful kind
of screw extractor? I have no experience with
extractors. I'd experiment, but would like to get
it done as neatly as possible on the first try.

Very tiny philips screw. A 3/32 drill fits in the
hole left by the other, removed, screws.

ransley October 7th 08 11:23 AM

On Oct 7, 3:00*am, Ron Hardin wrote:
[...]

If they are not broken but just stripped and cant catch a thread maybe
crazy glue the screwdriver to the screw then pull up to catch the
thread , use a bit of alcohol or laquer thinner to clean screw and
driver so they bond, or raise the screw with a knife while trying to
screw out to catch a thread first, since it wont come outr but turns
im guessing there is thread that just wont bite

Ron Hardin October 7th 08 12:35 PM

ransley wrote:

[...]

It's the head I stripped. The threads are fine. I suspect it's
been lock-tite'd, causing the stripped head in the first place.

[email protected] October 7th 08 12:57 PM

On Oct 7, 6:35*am, Ron Hardin wrote:
ransley wrote:

[...]

Have you trying heating the screws with a small-tip soldering iron?
Heat should dissipate fast enough not to cause any damage to drive.
Otherwise, drilling-out would be another alternative.

Ron Hardin October 7th 08 02:54 PM

ransley wrote:

[...]

I was thinking of heating up the screw exactor bit and using that, once
I settle on which extractor to use. The screw is so short that I think
drilling to start an extractor is not possible; I'd need one that goes
from what's there or makes its own hole as necessary, I think.

I don't know that it was lock-tite'd, but the other two screws make the
lock-tite sound when they broke loose and unscrewed. No visible residue
however.

I'd like to avoid putting metal shavings in the case but don't see how
to avoid it, since it's essentially laproscopic surgery to work on it.

[email protected] October 7th 08 03:31 PM

ransley wrote:

[...]

Sometimes they use a lacquer or similar stuff instead of LocTite...so
a little heat may help.
If the screws aren't brass...you could magnetize the bit to keep them
from scattering.

Smitty Two October 7th 08 03:43 PM

Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

In article ,
Ron Hardin wrote:

[...]

I've never seen an extractor that small, and if they exist I don't think
you'll be successful with it.

I think your best shot at this is with a drill. You'd need a drill press
or milling machine. You'd have to fixture the laptop so it can't wobble
around, and so the screw is dead coaxial with the drill. Then use a tiny
center drill first to spot the very center of the screw, and preferably
a carbide drill.

If you use the right drill, the remaining screw bits can be picked out,
or you can chase the threads with an appropriate tap.

dpb October 7th 08 03:47 PM

Ron Hardin wrote:
It's the head I stripped. The threads are fine. I suspect it's
been lock-tite'd, causing the stripped head in the first place.

I'd try one of two things...

1. If you are well acquainted w/ the local jeweler/watchmaker type,
take it into him. They've got all the miniature tools and skill set needed.

2. A spring-loaded "impact" driver w/ the appropriate tip.

AZ Nomad[_2_] October 7th 08 03:49 PM

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 04:00:55 -0400, Ron Hardin wrote:
[...]

Use very small needle nose pliers, one tip in the center of the screw,
the other tip around the outside of the screw.

And take a mallet to your head if you weren't using jewelers'
screwdrivers from the start.

AZ Nomad[_2_] October 7th 08 03:50 PM

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 03:23:42 -0700 (PDT), ransley wrote:

If they are not broken but just stripped and cant catch a thread maybe
crazy glue the screwdriver to the screw then pull up to catch the
thread , use a bit of alcohol or laquer thinner to clean screw and
driver so they bond, or raise the screw with a knife while trying to
screw out to catch a thread first, since it wont come outr but turns
im guessing there is thread that just wont bite

Why do you insist on giving advice that you haven't tried. The is absolutely
zero chance of crazy glue sticking well enough to break the screw
free.

zero
nada
zilch.

All crazy glue will do is stick to your fingers and make a mess.

AZ Nomad[_2_] October 7th 08 03:52 PM

ransley wrote:

[...]

No, but it'll melt the laptop case. The insert where the screw is set will come
free and there will no longer be a means to keep the laptop drive in place
other than duct tape.

The Daring Dufas[_2_] October 7th 08 04:00 PM

Ron Hardin wrote:
[...]

I've removed small stripped Phillips head screws
with a Dremel tool. I first cut a slot for a flat
blade screwdriver and if that doesn't work, it's
time to play dentist. There are also the Alden
brand Grabit screw extractors that work very well.

http://www.aldn.com/grabit/

TDD

AZ Nomad[_2_] October 7th 08 05:41 PM

Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 11:11:53 -0400, wrote:

ransley wrote:

[...]

A minimal level of manual dexterity, intellect, and skill is assumed.

If the insert comes out, glue it back in. That's hardly a problem.

If you had intellect, you wouldn't be applying heat to a plastic case.

AZ Nomad[_2_] October 7th 08 05:44 PM

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 10:00:09 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Ron Hardin wrote:
[...]

That's great if you're working on a car.

Laptop's don't use #6-#14 screws.

Jim Yanik October 7th 08 05:49 PM

Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

Ron Hardin wrote in
:

I don't know that it was lock-tite'd, but the other two screws make
the lock-tite sound when they broke loose and unscrewed. No visible
residue however.

screwing into plastic really doesn't need any Lock-tite.
some "lock-nuts" use a plastic insert to keep the nut from vibrating loose.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik October 7th 08 05:53 PM

Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

Smitty Two wrote in news:prestwhich-
:

In article ,
Ron Hardin wrote:

[...]

I've used small Torx tips as screw extractors.
you could grind the end flat so the flutes have sharp corners to dig in.

there are also lefthand drill bits for drilling out screws,and they often
turn out the screw before removing the screwhead.

OR,you could take an old drill bit,cut off the shank and grind that into a
square head,and use it as an extractor.
(like a woodworking square-drive bit!)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The Daring Dufas[_2_] October 7th 08 06:42 PM

Ron Hardin wrote:
[...]

Do you know how big the screws holding in
the hard drive are? Did you notice "Dremel
tool" not hacksaw or die grinder? I can
remove extremely tiny stuck screws with my
Dremel tool. I have some cutting tips that
are not much bigger than the head of a pin.

TDD

Jim Yanik October 7th 08 08:27 PM

Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

wrote:
Ron Hardin wrote:
[...]

the screws are probably recessed into the case so you could not get a
Dremel disc on the head without cutting into the case.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

zxcvbob October 7th 08 08:42 PM

Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

Jim Yanik wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

wrote:
Ron Hardin wrote:
[...]

I've removed them (2mm screws) using a tiny left-handed drill bit. Go
slowly. The bit will catch and back out the screw. HTH

Bob

AZ Nomad[_2_] October 7th 08 08:42 PM

Ron Hardin wrote:
[...]

Yes I do ****face. They're smaller than #4 screws.

The only thing that tool mentioned in the URL would be good for would
be to split a laptop in two pieces with a good smack from a hammer.

AZ Nomad[_2_] October 7th 08 08:44 PM

On 7 Oct 2008 19:27:35 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:
the screws are probably recessed into the case so you could not get a
Dremel disc on the head without cutting into the case.

Put away the car tools and use a very small pair of needle nose pliers. Grab
along the outside of the screw in the millimeter gap
between screw and case.

[email protected] October 7th 08 09:23 PM

wrote:

[...]

If I understand you right two small Phillips head screws never moved.
The heads just stripped. If that's the case:

Do the heads stick up enough to grab on to? If so use needle nosed
Vise Grips.
http://www.tylertool.com/vis6ln6need...urce=shopzilla

Or use a small dremel with a paper thin cut off wheel and put a screw
driver slot in them.
http://www.toolbarn.com/product/dremel/409/

[email protected] October 7th 08 09:31 PM

Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

If I understand you right two small Phillips head screws never moved.
The heads just stripped. If that's the case:

Do the heads stick up enough to grab on to? If so use needle nosed
Vise Grips.
http://www.tylertool.com/vis6ln6need...urce=shopzilla

Or use a small dremel with a paper thin cut off wheel and put a screw
driver slot in them.
http://www.toolbarn.com/product/dremel/409/

Additionally: Use the dremel cut off wheel to machine flats on the
outside of the screw head. Then use the needle nosed Vise Grips.

You can also purchase left hand drills. Try to make the tip catch when
drilling.
http://www.mytoolstore.com/hanson/hanson.html

boden October 7th 08 10:05 PM

Ron Hardin wrote:
[...]

I don't know how badly you have torn up the head, but before resorting
to heroics, if there is anything left try Screw Grab

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41329

with a good Phillips screwdriver. Two options are

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43411,43417
or
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43411,43417

If this doesn't work, or there isn't enough of a head recess left, drill
into the screw with a jeweler's drill or a Dremel and a steady hand so
that a micro extractor can be used. Note that the correct size drill
bit is on the opposite end from the extractor.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...,32272&p=32272

Softening Locktite, if that has been used, is best done with a paint
remover that is rich in methylene chloride. Methylene chloride will
attack plastics with a vengeance so be very careful to not place it in
contact with your laptop's case.

Good luck.

Boden

Boden

The Daring Dufas[_2_] October 8th 08 12:21 AM

Ron Hardin wrote:
[...]

Why you needle dick, limp wrist, cum gargling, butt ****ing
leprechaun. Can't you do any better than "****face"? I work
on laptops all the time and one of my Dell laptops actually
has some screws that are the size of a #6. I'm assuming that
the OP's hard drive mounting screws are 3x3mm flat head
Phillips which are approximately the size of a #6. Go get
yourself some calipers and measure the darn things if you
doubt me. You claimed to know the screw size but failed to
state it. Instead you insulted me by calling me "****face".
That's uncalled for, everyone knows that I'm an "asshole".

TDD

aemeijers October 8th 08 12:40 AM

ransley wrote:

[...]

This will sound horrible, but I have on occasioned turned the screw the
other way, to un-seize the threads. Or if the head breaks off, just use
packing tape when I reinstall. Those drives are so tiny, 2 screws will
take the weight- you just need to keep it from flopping around in there.

--
aem sends...

AZ Nomad[_2_] October 8th 08 12:49 AM

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 18:21:27 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
The only thing that tool mentioned in the URL would be good for would
be to split a laptop in two pieces with a good smack from a hammer.

Why you needle dick, limp wrist, cum gargling, butt ****ing
leprechaun. Can't you do any better than "****face"? I work

I wasn't sure you were a twit, but I am now.

Welcome to my killfile, ****face.

The Daring Dufas[_2_] October 8th 08 01:02 AM

AZ Nomad wrote:
The only thing that tool mentioned in the URL would be good for would
be to split a laptop in two pieces with a good smack from a hammer.

Why you needle dick, limp wrist, cum gargling, butt ****ing
leprechaun. Can't you do any better than "****face"? I work

I wasn't sure you were a twit, but I am now.

Welcome to my killfile, ****face.

I feel honored, thank you. I won't have to deal
with mindless drivel anymore and apparent lack
of a sense of humor. Whew!

TDD

[email protected] October 8th 08 01:18 AM

Ron Hardin wrote:
[...]

Glad we got THAT cleared up! LOL

[email protected] October 8th 08 01:20 AM

Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

AZ Nomad wrote:
The only thing that tool mentioned in the URL would be good for would
be to split a laptop in two pieces with a good smack from a hammer.

Why you needle dick, limp wrist, cum gargling, butt ****ing
leprechaun. Can't you do any better than "****face"? I work

I wasn't sure you were a twit, but I am now.

Welcome to my killfile, ****face.

I feel honored, thank you. I won't have to deal
with mindless drivel anymore and apparent lack
of a sense of humor. Whew!

TDD

Dang! AZhole kill filed you. You may as well sell your computer and
take up needlepoint. Your usenet career is OVER, man. dang.

AZ Nomad[_2_] October 8th 08 01:36 AM

wrote:

TDD

Dang! AZhole kill filed you. You may as well sell your computer and
take up needlepoint. Your usenet career is OVER, man. dang.

****face is still at it? There is *nothing* more pathetic than
argueing to somebody who can't hear you.

The Daring Dufas[_2_] October 8th 08 01:46 AM

Ron Hardin wrote:
[...]

The poor guy has no sense of humor. I feel sorry
for him.

TDD

Oren[_2_] October 8th 08 02:32 AM

Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 19:46:44 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Glad we got THAT cleared up! LOL

The poor guy has no sense of humor. I feel sorry
for him.

She may not have a sense of humor. Ask her!

The Daring Dufas[_2_] October 8th 08 02:42 AM

wrote:

Glad we got THAT cleared up! LOL

The poor guy has no sense of humor. I feel sorry
for him.

She may not have a sense of humor. Ask her!

You mean it's a she? Holy cow! No wonder. The use
of a rather sophomoric expletive led me to believe
it was a he. Communicating by text makes it impossible
to differentiate between a boob and boobies. Oh well.

TDD

Rudy October 8th 08 03:44 AM

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
I've stripped two of the screws holding the hard
drive in my laptop...What's the most probably successful kind
of screw extractor?

I'm looking at the same screws on my Dell laptop. They re big enough that I
could, if need be, CUT a slot across the screw with a Dremel type tool and
the finest/smallest disc/cutter and use a regular flat screwdriver to
"undo"

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada October 8th 08 04:35 AM

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 23:40:38 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

ransley wrote:

[...]

If you suspect locktite, heat the head of the screw with a soldering
iron before removing. The heat breaks the bond.

I'd like to avoid putting metal shavings in the case but don't see how
to avoid it, since it's essentially laproscopic surgery to work on it.

This will sound horrible, but I have on occasioned turned the screw the
other way, to un-seize the threads. Or if the head breaks off, just use
packing tape when I reinstall. Those drives are so tiny, 2 screws will
take the weight- you just need to keep it from flopping around in there.

** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **

vinny[_3_] October 8th 08 06:01 AM

Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

vinny had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ws-335297-.htm
:
How about putting super glue on your screw driver and stick it to the
screw until it bonds (maybe a few minutes). Try it maybe it will work.

-------------------------------------

David Nebenzahl October 8th 08 06:46 AM

Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

On 10/7/2008 10:01 PM vinny spake thus:

vinny had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ws-335297-.htm
:
How about putting super glue on your screw driver and stick it to the
screw until it bonds (maybe a few minutes). Try it maybe it will work.

Nope, that's nothing but wishful thinking. Whatever bond there is will
be broken instantly the moment you turn the screwdriver.

- Paulo Freire

[email protected] October 8th 08 11:52 AM

Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws?

wrote:

TDD

Dang! AZhole kill filed you. You may as well sell your computer and
take up needlepoint. Your usenet career is OVER, man. dang.

****face is still at it? There is *nothing* more pathetic than
argueing to somebody who can't hear you.

He's making mincemeat of you, and nobody is rising to your defense. I
think they are enjoying it.

Uncle Monster[_3_] October 9th 08 05:01 AM

wrote:
Ron Hardin wrote:
[...]

Damn Bro, I call you "****face" all the time. I'm telling Mom
that you've been talking dirty to retards on Usenet again.
Neener, neener, neener.

[8~{} Uncle Monster