Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Front storm door

Im looking to add a storm door to the front of the house. Ive got good
skills and was wondering how hard it actually is to install one.

Not too much on the net about this as I have searched.

Comments anyone? Good quality doors? (lowes, HD?).

Thanks in advance.

coffee
Posted to alt.home.repair

"coffee" wrote in message

Im looking to add a storm door to the front of the house. Ive got good
skills and was wondering how hard it actually is to install one.
Not too much on the net about this as I have searched.
Comments anyone? Good quality doors? (lowes, HD?).

You need first to find out whether the doorway has
standard dimensions (i.e. will fit a storm door bought
off the rack.) Homeowners' manuals in your public
library will tell you how to fit a standard-sized door.
Non-standard sizes require prior experience.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

We have a combination - 1/2 screen for the summer. A glass goes in its
place for the winter.
We have a small porch so it is not exposed to snow or rain.

Our neighbors have a solid glass door that goes over their front door.
None of them have a screen for the summer.

If you are handy you could do this yourself.

Hub is not handy so we had ours installed by a merchant that sells them
and installs it.

shirleyann

Posted to alt.home.repair

coffee wrote:
Im looking to add a storm door to the front of the house. Ive got good
skills and was wondering how hard it actually is to install one.

Not too much on the net about this as I have searched.

Comments anyone? Good quality doors? (lowes, HD?).

Thanks in advance.

coffee

Hi,
Not difficult at all with basic tools. Even I could do it, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 07:58:51 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:

"coffee" wrote in message

Im looking to add a storm door to the front of the house. Ive got good
skills and was wondering how hard it actually is to install one. Not
too much on the net about this as I have searched. Comments anyone?
Good quality doors? (lowes, HD?).

You need first to find out whether the doorway has standard dimensions
(i.e. will fit a storm door bought off the rack.) Homeowners' manuals
in your public library will tell you how to fit a standard-sized door.
Non-standard sizes require prior experience.

The doorway is 30 by 80. Pretty standard Im guessing.

Thanks,

coffee

Posted to alt.home.repair
K K is offline

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
coffee wrote:
Im looking to add a storm door to the front of the house. Ive got good
skills and was wondering how hard it actually is to install one.

Not too much on the net about this as I have searched.

Comments anyone? Good quality doors? (lowes, HD?).

Thanks in advance.

coffee

Hi,
Not difficult at all with basic tools. Even I could do it, LOL!

I've done it too, with three doors. I've used the 'Forever' brand doors and
had no problem. If there is a problem, they have actual telephone support,
and will even replace parts you might muck up during installation. Install
the frame top and sides, hang the door, then install the handles and locks,
weather seal, and the pistons. There's a bit of fooling around to get it to
close the way you like. Last, there's some plastic trim to conceal the
screws. For a fat-hand like me, that's the hardest part.

Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 06:44:53 -0500, coffee
wrote:

Im looking to add a storm door to the front of the house. Ive got good
skills and was wondering how hard it actually is to install one.

Not too much on the net about this as I have searched.

Comments anyone? Good quality doors? (lowes, HD?).

Thanks in advance.

coffee

If you carefully follow the instrctions, installation is easy. Before
you start make sure your brick molding is sound and in good condition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 06 Oct 2008 04:44:53a, coffee told us...

Im looking to add a storm door to the front of the house. Ive got good
skills and was wondering how hard it actually is to install one.

Not too much on the net about this as I have searched.

Comments anyone? Good quality doors? (lowes, HD?).

Thanks in advance.

coffee

Most are easy to install unless you have unusual circumstances. Lowes
carries (among others) Larson storm doors which are excellent quality and
come in a variety of styles and pricesw. The most common standard sizes
are 36" and 32", but it's not impossible to find 30".

We had one of the Larson Williamsburg model which was a truly beautiful and
extremely well made door. We had it for 8 years when we sold the house and
it still looked like new.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 10(X)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
5wks 5hrs 18mins
People like crowds. The bigger the
crowd, the more people show up. Small
Posted to alt.home.repair

coffee wrote in
:

"coffee" wrote in message

Im looking to add a storm door to the front of the house. Ive got
good skills and was wondering how hard it actually is to install
one. Not too much on the net about this as I have searched. Comments
anyone? Good quality doors? (lowes, HD?).

You need first to find out whether the doorway has standard
dimensions (i.e. will fit a storm door bought off the rack.)
Homeowners' manuals in your public library will tell you how to fit a
standard-sized door. Non-standard sizes require prior experience.

The doorway is 30 by 80. Pretty standard Im guessing.

Thanks,

coffee

Front of the house and the door is only 30"??? Front doors are usually
36" to accomodate moving things in and out. Possibly you have another
entrance that oc 36" min?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 00:17:55 -0500, Red Green wrote:

coffee wrote in
:

"coffee" wrote in message

Im looking to add a storm door to the front of the house. Ive got
good skills and was wondering how hard it actually is to install one.
Not too much on the net about this as I have searched. Comments
anyone? Good quality doors? (lowes, HD?).

You need first to find out whether the doorway has standard dimensions
(i.e. will fit a storm door bought off the rack.) Homeowners' manuals
in your public library will tell you how to fit a standard-sized door.
Non-standard sizes require prior experience.

The doorway is 30 by 80. Pretty standard Im guessing.

Thanks,

coffee

Front of the house and the door is only 30"??? Front doors are usually
36" to accomodate moving things in and out. Possibly you have another
entrance that oc 36" min?

sorry Im responding late. Had a Hard drive meltdown and had to reload.

I will remeasure the doorway. But Im pretty sure its a standard size.

Thanks