Posted to alt.home.repair

Default generator

During the recent hurricane, I was luck enough to purchase a generator. The
unit was a Husky 5000watt.
The thing worked well with only one little problem.
The engine developed an oil leak, between the engine and the generator.
Home Depot said they would replace it. The store manager said he had the
replacement, with our name on it, waiting for us. He didn't, it wasn't.
We brought the old unit back home and tried a couple days later. Again,
promise made, promise broken. This time, however, my Wife was the one who
made the trip. She came back all proud that she managed to get an upgrade to
a better generator.
The new unit is a Briggs and Stratton 5,500 watt.
I do not know the model numbers of either unit off-hand. I was wondering, if
anyone here knows if there is any problems with either of these units, that
might make one a better choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, the information only allows comparison of apples to oranges.
Briggs & Stratton makes engines and the Husky generator could have had
a B&S engine in it as well. I suggest that you find ways to run the
generator that you now have so that if it develops problems, you can
exchange it as well. Do not just store it for the next storm and hope
that it works satisfactorily when you need it.
Hook it up to your refrigerator or freezer and let it make ice or cold
air for a few hours each day for a few days. Run a few gallons of gas
through it and check for leaks after turning it off. Do it on the
weekend so it does not annoy the neighbors too much.

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 22:02:04 -0500, "ron" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom Kendrick wrote:
I suggest that you find ways to run the
generator that you now have so that if it develops problems, you can
exchange it as well.

To the OP: That's good advice. Also, FWIW, I have had the same generator
you have now for 3 years and no problems so far. It has been running
for at least 8 hours/day for 10 days during Ike, and I start it every
time there is a power outage, which happens with some frequency where I am.

If you can be more specific about the brand/model of the generator that
failed it could help others to avoid making a poor choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ron wrote:
[...]

Second one sounds like the PowerBoss that I have from HD. Had about 3
years with no problem but only used about half dozen times up to one
day. I crank it up every couple of months. No problem, other than being
noisy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

During the week, people are at work and kids at school. On the weekend,
people are at home. You want him to run the generator in the industrial
section of his town, surrounded by empty factory buildings?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tom Kendrick" wrote in message
air for a few hours each day for a few days. Run a few gallons of gas
through it and check for leaks after turning it off. Do it on the
weekend so it does not annoy the neighbors too much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wetzedb had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...or-334281-.htm :

david
-------------------------------------
ron wrote:

My parents just purchased a Briggs & Straton 5500 Watt Generator from Home
Depot as a reaction to the Severe Ice Storm that hammered KY last week.
They
managed a total of about 6 hrs of service before the thing started
exploding,
with fire coming out of the exhaust. The neighbors heard it and ran over
turn it off (thankfully it wasn't close to the house). Upon returning the
B&S
Generator to Home Depot(which was fully refunded), they purchased the 5000
Watt
Husky, with a Subaru engine. So far so good. I think the Husky looks to
be
better built - heavier frame, inflatable tires as opposed to hard rubber,
etc.
The only drawback I see so far is no fuel gauge (The B&S had one built in
the gas cap).

OT - Generator Sonny Woodworking 7 August 29th 08 02:51 PM
Generator SAMMY FINKELMAN Home Ownership 9 December 24th 05 03:49 PM
Generator TheMightyAtlas Home Repair 37 December 16th 05 01:35 AM
DC Generator Ken Sterling Metalworking 33 June 25th 04 03:22 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM