Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New roof time

It is getting near time for a new roof. I have a medium blown color shingle
now. I think I will go with a lighter shade to lower the heat load a bit.
Does the color have much of an effect on shingle life? What is a good long
lasting brand of fiberglass/asphalt shingle? Do roofers typically charge
more for a roof with a steeper slope (45 deg).
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JohnR66" wrote in message
It is getting near time for a new roof. I have a medium blown color
shingle now. I think I will go with a lighter shade to lower the heat load
a bit.
Does the color have much of an effect on shingle life? What is a good long
lasting brand of fiberglass/asphalt shingle? Do roofers typically charge
more for a roof with a steeper slope (45 deg).
Thanks

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm going to need a new roof soon but
I'm afraid white would show dirt. Here's article about light-colored cooling
systems.

http://www.professionalroofing.net/a...98/feature.asp

My house has large trees (that shed leaves and stuff) that covers about 1/4
of my roof so I'll have to get a darker colored shingle to keep it clean
looking but I'd like to have a white shingled roof.

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 11:27�am, "olddog" wrote:
"JohnR66" wrote in message

[...]

lighter colors equal cooler roof with longer life. in areas like
phoenix most roofs are white.

add ridge vent, and insulate attic properly for longer life.

in heavy rain freeze areas the membrame replacement for tar paper is a
good move
Posted to alt.home.repair

olddog wrote:

"JohnR66" wrote in message

It is getting near time for a new roof. I have a medium blown color
shingle now. I think I will go with a lighter shade to lower the heat
load a bit.
Does the color have much of an effect on shingle life? What is a good
long lasting brand of fiberglass/asphalt shingle? Do roofers
typically charge more for a roof with a steeper slope (45 deg).
Thanks

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm going to need a new roof soon
but I'm afraid white would show dirt. Here's article about
light-colored cooling systems.

http://www.professionalroofing.net/a...98/feature.asp

My house has large trees (that shed leaves and stuff) that covers
about 1/4 of my roof so I'll have to get a darker colored shingle to
keep it clean looking but I'd like to have a white shingled roof.

olddog

I've read that light color roofs have more mold/mildew growth than dark
roofs because they don't get as hot. I wish I was up to figuring the
benefit in heating costs vs. trying to avoid or clean the crud that
grows on a roof )
Posted to alt.home.repair

JohnR66 wrote:
It is getting near time for a new roof. I have a medium blown color
shingle now. I think I will go with a lighter shade to lower the
heat
load a bit. Does the color have much of an effect on shingle life?
What is a good long lasting brand of fiberglass/asphalt shingle? Do
roofers typically charge more for a roof with a steeper slope (45
deg).

GAF has 40 year rated reflective shingles, intended to reduce heat
load. Google "GAF cool color". Not cheap though, at least not around
here.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JohnR66" wrote in message
It is getting near time for a new roof. I have a medium blown color
shingle now. I think I will go with a lighter shade to lower the heat load
a bit.
Does the color have much of an effect on shingle life? What is a good long
lasting brand of fiberglass/asphalt shingle? Do roofers typically charge
more for a roof with a steeper slope (45 deg).
Thanks

I've never seen definitive data on roof color. Summer heat versus winter
cold. I do see a lot of light colored roofs with stains though, so drive
around and take a look to see how they do in your climate.

Steep roofs do require a bit more skill to work on, but generally not a big
deal unless it is a very high roof with a very steep pitch and extra
equipment is needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JohnR66 wrote:
It is getting near time for a new roof. I have a medium blown color
shingle now. I think I will go with a lighter shade to lower the heat
load a bit. Does the color have much of an effect on shingle life?
What is a good long lasting brand of fiberglass/asphalt shingle? Do
roofers typically charge more for a roof with a steeper slope (45
deg). Thanks

Before you decide, drive around an look at the lighter-colored roofs in your
vicinity.

If they don't look stained, streaked, and just plain disgusting, you might
be okay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote in
m:

olddog wrote:

"JohnR66" wrote in message

[...]

I bet the person(s) who wrote what you read never thought black algae
(it's not mold/mildew) is dark and shows up more on a lighter roof!

I don't care what color they are. Summer sun beating on shingles is
frikkin' hot. The crud would die on any color if it couldn't take heat.

I wish I was up to figuring the
benefit in heating costs vs. trying to avoid or clean the crud that
grows on a roof )

Most shingles sold these days are "AR" algae resistant. They contain
chemicals that algae cannot feed on. There is also a spray that can be
applied to retard growths. Don't know effectiveness.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
olddog wrote:

"JohnR66" wrote in message

[...]

I don't think it's the mold - I think it is simply DIRT. Dirt in the sense
of nastiness in the air that settles on everything. Darker roofs just don't
show it.

Light colored buildings - such as the marble statutes at St Peter's
Basilica - have to be power-washed every so often to clean off the
precipitated smog. Maybe the brickwork on your house has a blackish tint?
Same thing.

If you live in the country (WAY out in the country) where car exhausts and
the like don't pollute the air with solid particulates, maybe a white roof
will work. In the city or suburbs, it'll get very visible black deposits.
They'll look like streaks downstream of vents and stacks where they don't
get as much rain wash-off.