Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default New roof time

Norminn wrote in
m:

olddog wrote:

"JohnR66" wrote in message

It is getting near time for a new roof. I have a medium blown color
shingle now. I think I will go with a lighter shade to lower the heat
load a bit.
Does the color have much of an effect on shingle life? What is a good
long lasting brand of fiberglass/asphalt shingle? Do roofers
typically charge more for a roof with a steeper slope (45 deg).
Thanks

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm going to need a new roof soon
but I'm afraid white would show dirt. Here's article about
light-colored cooling systems.

http://www.professionalroofing.net/a...98/feature.asp

My house has large trees (that shed leaves and stuff) that covers
about 1/4 of my roof so I'll have to get a darker colored shingle to
keep it clean looking but I'd like to have a white shingled roof.

olddog

I've read that light color roofs have more mold/mildew growth than dark
roofs because they don't get as hot.

I bet the person(s) who wrote what you read never thought black algae
(it's not mold/mildew) is dark and shows up more on a lighter roof!

I don't care what color they are. Summer sun beating on shingles is
frikkin' hot. The crud would die on any color if it couldn't take heat.

I wish I was up to figuring the
benefit in heating costs vs. trying to avoid or clean the crud that
grows on a roof )

Most shingles sold these days are "AR" algae resistant. They contain
chemicals that algae cannot feed on. There is also a spray that can be
applied to retard growths. Don't know effectiveness.