Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New roof time

"JohnR66" wrote in message
It is getting near time for a new roof. I have a medium blown color
shingle now. I think I will go with a lighter shade to lower the heat load
a bit.
Does the color have much of an effect on shingle life? What is a good long
lasting brand of fiberglass/asphalt shingle? Do roofers typically charge
more for a roof with a steeper slope (45 deg).
Thanks

I've never seen definitive data on roof color. Summer heat versus winter
cold. I do see a lot of light colored roofs with stains though, so drive
around and take a look to see how they do in your climate.

Steep roofs do require a bit more skill to work on, but generally not a big
deal unless it is a very high roof with a very steep pitch and extra
equipment is needed.