Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New roof time

On Sep 20, 11:27�am, "olddog" wrote:
"JohnR66" wrote in message

... It is getting near time for a new roof. I have a medium blown color
shingle now. I think I will go with a lighter shade to lower the heat load
a bit.
Does the color have much of an effect on shingle life? What is a good long
lasting brand of fiberglass/asphalt shingle? Do roofers typically charge
more for a roof with a steeper slope (45 deg).
Thanks

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm going to need a new roof soon but
I'm afraid white would show dirt. Here's article about light-colored cooling
systems.

http://www.professionalroofing.net/a...98/feature.asp

My house has large trees (that shed leaves and stuff) that covers about 1/4
of my roof so I'll have to get a darker colored shingle to keep it clean
looking but I'd like to have a white shingled roof.

olddog

lighter colors equal cooler roof with longer life. in areas like
phoenix most roofs are white.

add ridge vent, and insulate attic properly for longer life.

in heavy rain freeze areas the membrame replacement for tar paper is a
good move