Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace/Dryer/Hot Water Tank Space Requirements

Currently, my hot water heater is located literally in the middle of
my basement which obviously is very inconvenient. I am considering
moving it to a location that is currently between by gas furnace and
gas dryer. There will be ~2-3 feet between each.

e.g.

Furnace ---2.5ft-- Hot Water ---2.5ft-- Dryer

Assuming all code is applied when moving it (e.g dielctric couplers,
gas drip pipe, vent slope/size, etc.), does the location of the hot
water heater to the other gas devices cause an issue? My assumption
is no because I see many apartment with everything crammed into a
untility closet. My basement is considerbly larger than a utility
closet.

Thanks for any insight you may have !
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 12:51*pm, Bach wrote:
Currently, my hot water heater is located literally in the middle of
my basement which obviously is very inconvenient. *I am considering
moving it to a location that is currently between by gas furnace and
gas dryer. *There will be ~2-3 feet between each.

e.g.

Furnace ---2.5ft-- Hot Water ---2.5ft-- Dryer

Assuming all code is applied when moving it (e.g dielctric couplers,
gas drip pipe, vent slope/size, etc.), does the location of the hot
water heater to the other gas devices cause an issue? *My assumption
is no because I see many apartment with everything crammed into a
untility closet. *My basement is considerbly larger than a utility
closet.

Thanks for any insight you may have !

I don't see an issue with that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

moving it to a location that is currently between by gas furnace and
gas dryer. There will be ~2-3 feet between each.
Furnace ---2.5ft-- Hot Water ---2.5ft-- Dryer

Assuming all code is applied when moving it .... an issue?

I can't see a problem with that.. In our former house, thats how it was:

HW/Furnace side by side..in a smaller closet off the laundry room...
External wall..Hi & low vents to outside air and the dryer was just outside
the closet in the laundry area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd guess that venting concerns would be the premier consideration..can you
tie in the exhaust stack to that of the furnace ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bach" wrote in message

Furnace ---2.5ft-- Hot Water ---2.5ft-- Dryer

Assuming all code is applied when moving it (e.g dielctric couplers,
gas drip pipe, vent slope/size, etc.), does the location of the hot
water heater to the other gas devices cause an issue? My assumption
is no because I see many apartment with everything crammed into a
untility closet. My basement is considerbly larger than a utility
closet.

Thanks for any insight you may have !

As long as you have room to service the furnace it is OK. Dryer is usually
serviced from the front but a furnace may need a side access. Check the
installation instructions if you still have them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 8:45*pm, "Rudy" wrote:
I'd guess that venting concerns would be the premier consideration..can you
tie in the exhaust stack to that of the furnace ?

As luck would have it, the chimney is kitty corner between the tank
and the furnace reducing the length of vent required. As it stands
now, the tank is in the middle of the basement and the vent literally
run 15 feet to the chimney requiring us to duck as we walk under or
risk getting a burned forehead. So not only does the provider an
improvement in space use, but I personally believe remove a personal
safety hazard.

Thanks to all that responded !!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 10:05*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Bach" wrote in message

Furnace ---2.5ft-- Hot Water ---2.5ft-- Dryer

Assuming all code is applied when moving it (e.g dielctric couplers,
gas drip pipe, vent slope/size, etc.), does the location of the hot
water heater to the other gas devices cause an issue? *My assumption
is no because I see many apartment with everything crammed into a
untility closet. *My basement is considerbly larger than a utility
closet.

Thanks for any insight you may have !

As long as you have room to service the furnace it is OK. *Dryer is usually
serviced from the front but a furnace may need a side access. *Check the
installation instructions if you still have them.

Good point. The chimney is actually kitty-corner between the tank and
furnace so there is ample room to service. But definitely a great
point that could have been overlooked.

Thank you to all the responded.