Posted to alt.home.repair

Default finding a buried A/C cable

Our house has a buried cable that was laid by the previous owner for a
potential lamp in the yard. It is hooked to a switch in the house,
but there is nothing on the other end. Is there a way for an
electrician to find it without digging?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jud McCranie wrote:
Our house has a buried cable that was laid by the previous owner for a
potential lamp in the yard. It is hooked to a switch in the house,
but there is nothing on the other end. Is there a way for an
electrician to find it without digging?

Hi,
Metal detector? Or if switch is turned on a magnetic compass? Or wire
tracing buzzer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jud McCranie wrote:
Our house has a buried cable that was laid by the previous owner for a
potential lamp in the yard. It is hooked to a switch in the house,
but there is nothing on the other end. Is there a way for an
electrician to find it without digging?

I've used a small battery powered radio
switched to the AM band to trace live
wires before. Tune it to a relatively
quiet section of the band and wave it
near a known live wire and listen to
the humming sound it makes. I have also
used a tone generator of the type used
for tracing telephone and network cables
in conjunction with an AM radio to trace
hidden wires. The toner produces enough
RF harmonics in the AM band that tracing
a wire is no problem. You would have to
make sure there was no power on the circuit
first before hooking up a toner.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 04:24:22 -0500, Uncle Monster
wrote:

Jud McCranie wrote:
Our house has a buried cable that was laid by the previous owner for a
potential lamp in the yard. It is hooked to a switch in the house,
but there is nothing on the other end. Is there a way for an
electrician to find it without digging?

I've used a small battery powered radio
switched to the AM band to trace live
wires before. Tune it to a relatively
quiet section of the band and wave it
near a known live wire and listen to
the humming sound it makes. I have also
used a tone generator of the type used
for tracing telephone and network cables
in conjunction with an AM radio to trace
hidden wires. The toner produces enough
RF harmonics in the AM band that tracing
a wire is no problem. You would have to
make sure there was no power on the circuit
first before hooking up a toner.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

I agree with some of this, but there is a problem using the AM radio.
The wires need to be powered, and I would not power up a dead ended
wire under the lawn. Begin he Where is the wire exiting the
house? Look in the basement, or look for a piece of steel or pvc
conduit coming out the house. It might be near the switch. When you
find where it exits, make a straight line from the exit point on the
house to the location where the yard light should be. If you have no
idea where it should be, it's generally placed near a sidewalk or
driveway, and toward the road. (but not always). Take a string and
make a straight line to the road. Follow the string with a detector
device. You can buy those detectors for around $20 at many building
supply houses and hardware stores. With them, you do NOT power the
wires. The device uses batteries and sends the signal into the wires
at the switch or any other point in the feed. Then you carry the
other device and listen to it.

So you think the guy buried the wire for
a future light and did not cap or tape up
the ends to protect the wire from water?
I'd like to know what detector costs $20.00,
what brand is it? The toner and detector I
have costs over $100.00. The other wire and
cable finders I have are very expensive and
beyond the means of do-it-yourselfers. I
repair a lot of cable locating and telecom
equipment for a friend of mine that we put
on eBay. The older equipment is affordable
for a contractor but I doubt a home owner
would want to invest in it. Something like
a 3M Dynatel 573A sheath fault cable locator
is an older unit that could be bought for
$150-$250 in good condition. A Radio Shack
brand metal detector may work and Harbor
Freight also sells one for $50.00.

http://tinyurl.com/57aopq

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:

-snip-
I'd like to know what detector costs $20.00,
what brand is it?

This one works for me-
Neiko- "Digital 3-in-1 Metal, Voltage and Stud Detector -
Auto-Calibrating"
http://www.jackstoolshed.zoovy.com/p...&utm_campaign=
I paid $20 +shipping - they are $7 now.

I got one for hobby metal detecting- and it worked so well I bought a
couple more as backups.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:23:42 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

This one works for me-
Neiko- "Digital 3-in-1 Metal, Voltage and Stud Detector -
Auto-Calibrating"
http://www.jackstoolshed.zoovy.com/p...&utm_campaign=
I paid $20 +shipping - they are $7 now.

The cable is 10 or 12 inches underground, will that work at that
depth? (My kid's toy metal detector wouldn't do it.)
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 06:42:57 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

It works.

If you can prove that you can make a million dollars.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

It works.

If you can prove that you can make a million dollars.

"Effectiveness of rain dance is highly dependent on timing."

-Baxter Black quip

"Accuracy of dowsing highly dependent on location of digging"

-dpb

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Sep 15, 2:09*am, Jud McCranie
wrote:
Our house has a buried cable that was laid by the previous owner for a
potential lamp in the yard. *It is hooked to a switch in the house,
but there is nothing on the other end. *Is there a way for an
electrician to find it without digging? *
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Any reason you can't call the previous owners?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This one works for me-
Neiko- "Digital 3-in-1 Metal, Voltage and Stud Detector -
Auto-Calibrating"
http://www.jackstoolshed.zoovy.com/p...&utm_campaign=
I paid $20 +shipping - they are $7 now.

The cable is 10 or 12 inches underground, will that work at that
depth? (My kid's toy metal detector wouldn't do it.)

Sorry about that- No I just tried it. The depth is about 3-4
inches. Buy your a kid a Garrett Ace detector- that finds it.
http://www.compuplus.com/i-Garrett-A...7729212wt7ui27
Looks like a toy- priced like a toy [$125]- but it works better than a
lot of the high priced detectors;
http://www.compuplus.com/i-Garrett-A...7729212wt7ui27

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

It works.

If you can prove that you can make a million dollars.

My father swears by that method, but I've never had much success. I've met
others who claim it is valid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message
Our house has a buried cable that was laid by the previous owner for a
potential lamp in the yard. It is hooked to a switch in the house,
but there is nothing on the other end. Is there a way for an
electrician to find it without digging?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Get two pieces of straight bailing wire about a foot long. Bend them in an
L, with the short leg about 3". Hold the 3" legs very loosely in your fists
so they can spin. Hold your fists at waist level, slightly down so the
points swing to the front of you. As you walk over the line, the two points
will swing parallel right-left. This also works for sprinkler, water lines,
and metal objects. Trick is not to hold them too tight so they can swing.
I have seen some people use two empty Tabasco bottles, and have seen fancy
ones that have ball bearing swivels and small cylinders that keep the palms
of the hands from touching the swinging parts.

It works.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jud McCranie wrote:

Our house has a buried cable that was laid by the previous owner for a
potential lamp in the yard. It is hooked to a switch in the house,
but there is nothing on the other end. Is there a way for an
electrician to find it without digging?

Whenever I've had construction work done, there is some service that
comes out ahead of time and marks the utility lines. They only mark
the public lines and not any private ones, but they certainly have the
technology and maybe, for a price, would mark private lines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 07:28:22 -0700 (PDT), Pat
wrote:

Any reason you can't call the previous owners?

He lives in another state. I know where comes out of the house, but I
don't know where the end of it is.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Sep 15, 11:21*am, Richard Evans wrote:
Jud McCranie wrote:
Our house has a buried cable that was laid by the previous owner for a
potential lamp in the yard. *It is hooked to a switch in the house,
but there is nothing on the other end. *Is there a way for an
electrician to find it without digging? *

Whenever I've had construction work done, there is some service that
comes out ahead of time and marks the utility lines. They only mark
the public lines and not any private ones, but they certainly have the
technology and maybe, for a price, would mark private lines.

UFPOs don't actually mark the lines. They mark where the lines are
supposed to me, based on mapping. They are supposed to be accurate to
4' +/-

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

wrote:
Any reason you can't call the previous owners?

He lives in another state. I know where comes out of the house, but I
don't know where the end of it is.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

If you know where he lives, call him. That's the quickest and
simplest answer. He'll get you to within a few feet, at least, and be
able to tell you what's on the other end.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:

-snip-
I'd like to know what detector costs $20.00,
what brand is it?

This one works for me-
Neiko- "Digital 3-in-1 Metal, Voltage and Stud Detector -
Auto-Calibrating"
http://www.jackstoolshed.zoovy.com/p...&utm_campaign=
I paid $20 +shipping - they are $7 now.

I got one for hobby metal detecting- and it worked so well I bought a
couple more as backups.

Jim

Not doubting you at all but does
it work through 18" of dirt. If
so, I may have to try one out. I
know how technology changes, improves
and drops in price over the years
so I'll have to get one to play
with.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It works.

If you can prove that you can make a million dollars.

Where do I collect? I have used this countless times to locate pipes.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It works.

If you can prove that you can make a million dollars.

My father swears by that method, but I've never had much success. I've
met others who claim it is valid.

But how can this be so? There are people who say it is just not so. And
then, there are people who know what they saw. It is so puzzling.

Not really. I can do it. Some say that some have the gift, and some do
not. I personally think it is how one holds their hands. I will experiment
how to make a movie with my camera, tape doing it, and make that tape
available to anyone who will e mail me. Or even put it on U tube. Or is it
You tube. Whatever.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
Nothing to prove. It's real, and it works. Google is your friend

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ng&btnG=Search

Now _there's_ a reliable source...

Google also returns amongst many others the following...

How Does Fact Confront Myth When it Comes to Water?
Boucher, Kurtis W., School of Geology, Oklahoma State University,
Stillwater OK, 74078

Abstract: This paper offers an insight to whether or not dowsing is fact
or myth by evaluating thoughts of skeptics and the experiments that have
been done on this belief. ...

Since ancient times, dowsers have claimed they can find water by using
their senses – and a few special tools, such as rods or pendulums. They
believe that objects, including water, possess a natural magnetic,
electromagnetic or other unknown “energy” they can detect with their
senses. ...

This ancient divining technique has many adherents, but it has never
been scientifically proven. ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 02:09:50 -0400, Jud McCranie
wrote:

Our house has a buried cable that was laid by the previous owner for a
potential lamp in the yard. It is hooked to a switch in the house,
but there is nothing on the other end. Is there a way for an
electrician to find it without digging?

Metal dectectors work well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jud McCranie wrote:
Our house has a buried cable that was laid by the previous owner for a
potential lamp in the yard. It is hooked to a switch in the house,
but there is nothing on the other end. Is there a way for an
electrician to find it without digging?

You'll need a good metal detector and an experienced operator. The
machine will be in pinpoint or 'all-metal' mode. 1 ft. is pretty deep
though. If that doesn't find it, you'll need a 2-box metal detector,
again with an experienced operator. I'd suggest contacting the local club...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
I'm not sure which source you were being sarcastic about. But the USGS
recognizes it as a viable method.

I'd like to see that reference and the research done to validate the
conclusion...

Specifically, I was lambasting the internet in general and google in
particular as an infallible scientific resource.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

SteveB wrote:
Much ado about nothing. If the line is shallow, any metal detector will
probably find it depending on the operator. If deep, will be harder. Dowse
it, and be done in two minutes.

You do contract service work? I'd pay travel+fee if you can find
several lines of various types on the place here just to see it. You
bat 100% you win...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

I'm not sure which source you were being sarcastic about. But the
USGS recognizes it as a viable method.

I'd like to see that reference and the research done to validate the
conclusion...

Specifically, I was lambasting the internet in general and google in
particular as an infallible scientific resource.

--

Amen. I recently participated in the Ph.D. thesis defense of a student
at a well regarded technical school located on the Charles River. I

The student will now spend some time in the library and we'll try it
again next semester.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Boden wrote:
dpb wrote:

Specifically, I was lambasting the internet in general and google in
particular as an infallible scientific resource.

Amen. I recently participated in the Ph.D. thesis defense of a student

there were no cited references anywhere in the several hundred page
document that predated the internet even though the fundamental work
that formed the basis for his research was published well before the
internet.

That would seem should've never gotten to the point of his defense by
being observed by his major professor...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Shanghai McCoy" wrote in message
Jud McCranie wrote:
Our house has a buried cable that was laid by the previous owner for a
potential lamp in the yard. It is hooked to a switch in the house,
but there is nothing on the other end. Is there a way for an
electrician to find it without digging?

You'll need a good metal detector and an experienced operator. The machine
will be in pinpoint or 'all-metal' mode. 1 ft. is pretty deep though. If
that doesn't find it, you'll need a 2-box metal detector, again with an
experienced operator. I'd suggest contacting the local club...

Much ado about nothing. If the line is shallow, any metal detector will
probably find it depending on the operator. If deep, will be harder. Dowse
it, and be done in two minutes.

Steve, who has owned metal detectors since 1980

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Boden wrote:

dpb wrote:

Specifically, I was lambasting the internet in general and google in
particular as an infallible scientific resource.

Amen. I recently participated in the Ph.D. thesis defense of a student

there were no cited references anywhere in the several hundred page
document that predated the internet even though the fundamental work
that formed the basis for his research was published well before the
internet.

That would seem should've never gotten to the point of his defense by
being observed by his major professor...

--

Agreed, but things seem a bit looser now than in the "old days."
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Boden wrote:

Agreed, but things seem a bit looser now than in the "old days."

Omygosh, yes. "Due quota" now is almost non-existent it seems and the
level of minutiae one used to have to follow w/ the mats and all now is
automagically taken care of by software templates in the word processor
of choice...there's something to be said for that, but there's something
missing in not having to go thru the process, too, imo.

UVA doesn't even require the mandatory hours in attendance in the grad
student office any longer I hear. What _IS_ this world coming to???

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/dowsing.html

What do you think this says?

It certainly doesn't make any claim there's anything to dowsing other
than "the natural explanation of "successful" water dowsing is that in
many areas water would be hard to miss."

That's damning w/ faint praise in the highest possible favoring light.

The introduction to the full pdf version has the disclaimer "this
leaflet was prepared to answer some of the most frequently asked
questions about the subject of water dowsing and is not intended to make
editorial comment on dowsing."

IOW, it's a politically correct equivalent of a wiki article, not
anything at all researched and peer reviewed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok,

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

SteveB wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
SteveB wrote:
Much ado about nothing. If the line is shallow, any metal detector will
probably find it depending on the operator. If deep, will be harder.
Dowse it, and be done in two minutes.

You do contract service work? I'd pay travel+fee if you can find several
lines of various types on the place here just to see it. You bat 100% you
win...

If you can't figure out how to bend two pieces of baling wire and do it
yourself, I doubt you could fill out the check.

Bending the wahr ain't the problem...I've never seen a response to
anything from them...

I'd pay to see if a claimant could actually find a non-trivial object.

The challenge is path of gas line from the main pipeline drop across the
farm yard.

Path of certain wiring in the feedlots and particularly locating break
in at least one.(*)

If those were solved, could come up w/ several others as well...

(*) Did locate initial break to within a foot or so w/ a buddy and his
cable locater. Took a couple hours and we weren't that certain even
then but got (sorta') lucky that his guess of highest intensity was in
about the right location. The sucker is buried nearly waist deep.

It has since that repair failed again and I've borrowed the detector and
can't tell a thing--my hearing isn't what it once was.

The couple of folks who claim they can do this your way couldn't even
tell where the wire was, what more find the break.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
SteveB wrote:
Much ado about nothing. If the line is shallow, any metal detector will
probably find it depending on the operator. If deep, will be harder.
Dowse it, and be done in two minutes.

You do contract service work? I'd pay travel+fee if you can find several
lines of various types on the place here just to see it. You bat 100% you
win...

If you can't figure out how to bend two pieces of baling wire and do it
yourself, I doubt you could fill out the check.

Steve

How to fix exterior buried coax cable? CraigT[_2_] Home Repair 21 September 1st 08 04:00 PM
Finding a lost cable Osprey UK diy 14 February 9th 07 11:04 PM
finding mains power cable THOMAS PATTON UK diy 13 April 26th 06 10:23 PM
Finding a cable in the ground... Howie UK diy 13 April 25th 05 06:48 PM
Need help finding flat cable cnhlpu2 Electronics Repair 0 December 21st 04 07:35 AM