Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default finding a buried A/C cable

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message
Our house has a buried cable that was laid by the previous owner for a
potential lamp in the yard. It is hooked to a switch in the house,
but there is nothing on the other end. Is there a way for an
electrician to find it without digging?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Get two pieces of straight bailing wire about a foot long. Bend them in an
L, with the short leg about 3". Hold the 3" legs very loosely in your fists
so they can spin. Hold your fists at waist level, slightly down so the
points swing to the front of you. As you walk over the line, the two points
will swing parallel right-left. This also works for sprinkler, water lines,
and metal objects. Trick is not to hold them too tight so they can swing.
I have seen some people use two empty Tabasco bottles, and have seen fancy
ones that have ball bearing swivels and small cylinders that keep the palms
of the hands from touching the swinging parts.

It works.

Steve