Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Broken dishwasher or just hard water?

I bought a new condo and my water is very hard. Whenever I use the
dishwasher I get white flaky residue on everything. I read to try
vinegar. I let the vinegar sit for several hours with the bottom full
of vinegar. Then I ran it a little to circulate the vinegar and let
it sit again. I then ran it through a complete cycle with no dishes
or detergent so as to rinse the vinegar out. I still get chunks of
stuff on all the dishes. The silverware especially looks horrible -
caked on white film with small bits of white flaky substance and food
particles.

Do you think I need a new dishwasher or is there some 'smoking gun'
you see?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I bought a new condo and my water is very hard. Whenever I use the
dishwasher I get white flaky residue on everything. I read to try
vinegar. I let the vinegar sit for several hours with the bottom full
of vinegar. Then I ran it a little to circulate the vinegar and let
it sit again. I then ran it through a complete cycle with no dishes
or detergent so as to rinse the vinegar out. I still get chunks of
stuff on all the dishes. The silverware especially looks horrible -
caked on white film with small bits of white flaky substance and food
particles.

Do you think I need a new dishwasher or is there some 'smoking gun'
you see?

it may take a few applications if it's been operated normally for a long
time without cleaning out the mineral deposits.

try getting some stronger acids. you can buy zep products in home depot, for
instance, that will remove more deposits. follow directions on the
container, and do a couple of applications. come back with the results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 2:31 pm, "charlie"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, I will try that. It is actually a rental property. Can I cycle
through the zep product in an hour? Or is zep something I need to have
sit around overnight?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sep 10, 2:31 pm, "charlie"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

you don't let it sit. you run a normal or extended pot cycle (without the
drying phase, if possible). you might also look to see if the arm holes are
clogged up. poking them open with toothpicks or opening them up, if
possible, to remove gunk that may be affecting things is useful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed 10 Sep 2008 12:15:57p, told us...

I bought a new condo and my water is very hard. Whenever I use the
dishwasher I get white flaky residue on everything. I read to try
vinegar. I let the vinegar sit for several hours with the bottom full
of vinegar. Then I ran it a little to circulate the vinegar and let
it sit again. I then ran it through a complete cycle with no dishes
or detergent so as to rinse the vinegar out. I still get chunks of
stuff on all the dishes. The silverware especially looks horrible -
caked on white film with small bits of white flaky substance and food
particles.

Do you think I need a new dishwasher or is there some 'smoking gun'
you see?

Start using a product called Lemi-Shine with every load of dishes you wash.
It will clear up the problem you now have and prevent problems in the
future. It will also prevent hard water etching of china and glassware.
It comes in a cannister and is usually found where the dishwasher
detergents are sold. It's usually available at Wal-Mart.

To use Lemi-Shine, fill the closed cup with Lemi-Shine and the open cup
with regular granular dishwasher detergent (do use the gels).

We live in a very hard water area and this is the only way we can
effectivelly use our dishwasher. We use it with every load and everything
sparkles. The dishwasher itself it totally free of deposits on the inside.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
8wks 5dys 10hrs 46mins
The wife and I laughed until the
weather came on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
[...]

what's in it? i found that putting a cup of vinegar in the bottom for each
load does the same thing for us. we're in a very hard water area too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed 10 Sep 2008 01:39:23p, charlie told us...

[...]

The container states "real fruit acids, natural citrus oils, fragrance". I
would assume citric acid.

At what point in the cycle do you add the cup of vinegar? I've tried using
vinegar, first adding it before starting the cycle, but that did not
prevent clouding of glassware. It seemed to work reasonably well if added
to either of the final rinse cycles, but waiting around to do that was a
PITA.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
8wks 5dys 9hrs 59mins
Fifteen cents of every twenty-cent
stamp goes for storage. --Louis Rukeyser
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

i just pour it in when i load the dishwasher. our dishes and glasses used to
come out cloudy, and since i started using vinegar, they look like new. i
don't need to use any rinse aid (jet-dri) now either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed 10 Sep 2008 02:54:43p, charlie told us...

[...]

I assume you're using regular 5% white vinegar. I may have to give this
another try.

Thanks...

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
8wks 5dys 7hrs 39mins
We are sorry, you have reached an
imaginary number. Please rotate your
phone ninety degrees and try again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I bought a new condo and my water is very hard. Whenever I use the
dishwasher I get white flaky residue on everything. I read to try
vinegar. I let the vinegar sit for several hours with the bottom full
of vinegar. Then I ran it a little to circulate the vinegar and let
it sit again. I then ran it through a complete cycle with no dishes
or detergent so as to rinse the vinegar out. I still get chunks of
stuff on all the dishes. The silverware especially looks horrible -
caked on white film with small bits of white flaky substance and food
particles.

Do you think I need a new dishwasher or is there some 'smoking gun'
you see?

Speaking from experience, I'd say you need a water softener and then a new
dishwasher.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:

wrote in message

I bought a new condo and my water is very hard. Whenever I use the
dishwasher I get white flaky residue on everything. I read to try
vinegar. I let the vinegar sit for several hours with the bottom full
of vinegar. Then I ran it a little to circulate the vinegar and let
it sit again. I then ran it through a complete cycle with no dishes
or detergent so as to rinse the vinegar out. I still get chunks of
stuff on all the dishes. The silverware especially looks horrible -
caked on white film with small bits of white flaky substance and food
particles.

Do you think I need a new dishwasher or is there some 'smoking gun'
you see?

Speaking from experience, I'd say you need a water softener and then a new
dishwasher.

Probably good advice, but have you cleaned the filter(s) in your
dishwasher? "Bits" of anything doesn't seem like just hard water.

Another thing to look at is the DiFi. At $50 it's a whole lot less
expensive than a water softener.
http://www.dishwasherfilter.com/main.sc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:45:57 -0400, h wrote:

"Boden" wrote in message
h wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Au contraire. Before we got a softener we had white chunks (likely
calcium deposits) in the pipes. They'd build up in the faucet screens
and block water flow. We'd have to unscrew the heads and clean the
screens at least twice a week to maintain water flow. Once we got the
softener we never saw the chunks again.

I had the same problem. White build up coming from somewhere we couldnt
figure out. Then I drained the water heater. Well, I tried. It was so
gummed up with calcium that I couldnt get it drained. Ended up replacing
it and then at the same time installed a water softner.

Check your water heater for buildup.

coffee
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 3:15�pm, wrote:
I bought a new condo and my water is very hard. Whenever I use the
dishwasher I get white flaky residue on everything. I read to try
vinegar. I let the vinegar sit for several hours with the bottom full
of vinegar. �Then I ran it a little to circulate the vinegar and let
it sit again. �I then ran it through a complete cycle with no dishes
or detergent so as to rinse the vinegar out. �I still get chunks of
stuff on all the dishes. �The silverware especially looks horrible -
caked on white film with small bits of white flaky substance and food
particles.

Do you think I need a new dishwasher or is there some 'smoking gun'
you see?

try turning up water heater temperature, the deposits may be detergent
thats not entirely disolved