Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Chris is offline

Default Broken dishwasher or just hard water?

wrote:
I bought a new condo and my water is very hard. Whenever I use the
dishwasher I get white flaky residue on everything. I read to try
vinegar. I let the vinegar sit for several hours with the bottom full
of vinegar. Then I ran it a little to circulate the vinegar and let
it sit again. I then ran it through a complete cycle with no dishes
or detergent so as to rinse the vinegar out. I still get chunks of
stuff on all the dishes. The silverware especially looks horrible -
caked on white film with small bits of white flaky substance and food
particles.

Do you think I need a new dishwasher or is there some 'smoking gun'
you see?

Did you check the bottom of the dishwasher for debris? Hard to guide you
without knowing what brand model/you have, but the food particles can't
be the effect of hard water. Also I would check if the hot and cold
water pipes are not switched. Finally, make sure that the drain is not
obstructed in any way.