Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default Broken dishwasher or just hard water?

h wrote:

wrote in message

I bought a new condo and my water is very hard. Whenever I use the
dishwasher I get white flaky residue on everything. I read to try
vinegar. I let the vinegar sit for several hours with the bottom full
of vinegar. Then I ran it a little to circulate the vinegar and let
it sit again. I then ran it through a complete cycle with no dishes
or detergent so as to rinse the vinegar out. I still get chunks of
stuff on all the dishes. The silverware especially looks horrible -
caked on white film with small bits of white flaky substance and food
particles.

Do you think I need a new dishwasher or is there some 'smoking gun'
you see?

Speaking from experience, I'd say you need a water softener and then a new
dishwasher.

Probably good advice, but have you cleaned the filter(s) in your
dishwasher? "Bits" of anything doesn't seem like just hard water.

Another thing to look at is the DiFi. At $50 it's a whole lot less
expensive than a water softener.
http://www.dishwasherfilter.com/main.sc