Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Windows

Hello again all,
I am confused about which windows to put in the new home I will be
building soon, in the Houston Tx area.Consumer Reports recommends
Anderson and Pella wood and vinyl clad windows,but I am unsure about
either because 1) termites are a problem here 2) moisture is also a
problem, and 3) I have seen vinyl deteriorate over time d/t UV
exposure. Most window sites are currently recommending some form of
vinyl or vinyl clad windows these days,and I understand that aluminum
will, to some degree, act as a thermal bridge. All things being
considered,I still think aluminum sash is the way to go if only
because it will hold up to the above mentioned elements indefinitely.
Am I totally off base here? What do some of you tradesmen think?
Again, thanks in advance for constructive input.

Tim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 11:32*am, Tim wrote:
* *Hello again all,
* I am confused about which windows to put in the new home I will be
building soon, in the Houston Tx area.Consumer Reports recommends
Anderson and Pella wood and vinyl clad windows,but I am unsure about
either because *1) termites are a problem here *2) moisture is also a
problem, and *3) I have seen vinyl deteriorate over time d/t UV
exposure. *Most window sites are currently recommending some form of
vinyl or vinyl clad windows these days,and I understand that aluminum
will, to some degree, act as a thermal bridge. *All things being
considered,I still think aluminum sash is the way to go if only
because it will hold up to the above mentioned elements indefinitely.
Am I totally off base here? *What do some of you tradesmen think?
Again, thanks in advance for constructive input.

Tim

If you are worried go fiberglass, if you want the best insulating
glass, near R 7 look at Loewen or Alpen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim wrote:
Hello again all,
I am confused about which windows to put in the new home I will be
building soon, in the Houston Tx area.Consumer Reports recommends
Anderson and Pella wood and vinyl clad windows,but I am unsure about
either because 1) termites are a problem here 2) moisture is also a
problem, and 3) I have seen vinyl deteriorate over time d/t UV
exposure. Most window sites are currently recommending some form of
vinyl or vinyl clad windows these days,and I understand that aluminum
will, to some degree, act as a thermal bridge. All things being
considered,I still think aluminum sash is the way to go if only
because it will hold up to the above mentioned elements indefinitely.
Am I totally off base here? What do some of you tradesmen think?
Again, thanks in advance for constructive input.

Tim

I put Andersen windows in my home when it was built. All casement
windows have failed (40+ of them). The custom made,
windows...pentagonal, triangular and large ones (10 x 10 ft) have not
failed.

The failures have been due to leakage of the gas placed between the two
panes. The result is that the two pieces of glass touch. Thermal
performance is horrible when this happens, moisture condenses, and the
pattern formed looks lousy.

I would never buy Andersen again.

Pella seems to me to have a better product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

i use window world on my rentals ,they are the hard vinyle . a 2
pane is 189.00 installed,,30.00 more for tinted glass.they have the 3
pane for a little more. after having some in for 10 years im happy with
them. i would think the aluminum clad would hold up well , i had some in
my old house and the frames were still good after 40 years but drafty
around them.. but also ive seen the 500.00 windows at home depot give
out in 5 years so i use window world now.some vinyle windows are the
soft type,i reccomend the hard type vinyle.lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 11:58*am, Boden wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

Pella seems to me to have a better product.- Hide quoted text -

Dont Anderson have a good warranty, like 20 years?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim" wrote in message
Hello again all,
I am confused about which windows to put in the new home I will be
building soon, in the Houston Tx area.Consumer Reports recommends
Anderson and Pella wood and vinyl clad windows,but I am unsure about
either because 1) termites are a problem here 2) moisture is also a
problem, and 3) I have seen vinyl deteriorate over time d/t UV
exposure. Most window sites are currently recommending some form of
vinyl or vinyl clad windows these days,and I understand that aluminum
will, to some degree, act as a thermal bridge. All things being
considered,I still think aluminum sash is the way to go if only
because it will hold up to the above mentioned elements indefinitely.
Am I totally off base here? What do some of you tradesmen think?
Again, thanks in advance for constructive input.

Tim

In 1995 when we were building we were in a turmoil over which window to pick
for our new home.

I happened to do a blinds installation in a 20 year old nursing home which
had white,100% aluminum windows. They still looked great and worked. That
was the deciding factor for me.

We installed the all aluminum model with the stupid grids between the glass.
Easy to clean and they still look great. Neighbors all around me have
replaced the name brand wood and even some clad windows due to leaks and
rot and decay. If I were building again and could still find them I would
make the same choice.

Colbyt