Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Windows

On Sep 9, 11:58*am, Boden wrote:
Tim wrote:
* *Hello again all,
* I am confused about which windows to put in the new home I will be
building soon, in the Houston Tx area.Consumer Reports recommends
Anderson and Pella wood and vinyl clad windows,but I am unsure about
either because *1) termites are a problem here *2) moisture is also a
problem, and *3) I have seen vinyl deteriorate over time d/t UV
exposure. *Most window sites are currently recommending some form of
vinyl or vinyl clad windows these days,and I understand that aluminum
will, to some degree, act as a thermal bridge. *All things being
considered,I still think aluminum sash is the way to go if only
because it will hold up to the above mentioned elements indefinitely.
Am I totally off base here? *What do some of you tradesmen think?
Again, thanks in advance for constructive input.

Tim

I put Andersen windows in my home when it was built. *All casement
windows have failed (40+ of them). *The custom made,
windows...pentagonal, triangular and large ones (10 x 10 ft) have not
failed.

The failures have been due to leakage of the gas placed between the two
panes. *The result is that the two pieces of glass touch. *Thermal
performance is horrible when this happens, moisture condenses, and the
pattern formed looks lousy.

I would never buy Andersen again.

Pella seems to me to have a better product.- Hide quoted text -

Dont Anderson have a good warranty, like 20 years?