Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher Mount to Granite?!?!?!?!?!?

We've pretty much got our cabinets in and have picked out a nice slab
of granite for our countertop. Our old countertop was laminated wood
and the dishwasher has two metal tabs at the top above the door and
there were wood screws thru holes in these tabs fastened into the wood
of the countertop. With the granite the only thing that will be above
the dishwasher is the granite. These screws are not load bearing as
they just seem to keep the dishwasher from walking around in the
opening between the cabinets.

How do you fasten a dishwasher to the granite countertop?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I believe the practice is to take a strip of wood about 1/2" thick and
glue that to the underside of the granite and then screw the
dishwasher tabs into that wood strip.

I had a laminate top that the area where my old dishwasher screws went
into had deteriorated so badly due to venting from the dishwasher that
screws would no longer stay in the particle board.

I took a thin strip of wood and used some Gorilla glue to do the same
thing as you would with a granite top.

The new dishwasher is screwed into that strip and everything is fine.

Gerry

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 10:25:39 -0700 (PDT), infiniteMPG
wrote:

We've pretty much got our cabinets in and have picked out a nice slab
of granite for our countertop. Our old countertop was laminated wood
and the dishwasher has two metal tabs at the top above the door and
there were wood screws thru holes in these tabs fastened into the wood
of the countertop. With the granite the only thing that will be above
the dishwasher is the granite. These screws are not load bearing as
they just seem to keep the dishwasher from walking around in the
opening between the cabinets.

How do you fasten a dishwasher to the granite countertop?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gerry" wrote in message
I believe the practice is to take a strip of wood about 1/2" thick and
glue that to the underside of the granite and then screw the
dishwasher tabs into that wood strip.

I had a laminate top that the area where my old dishwasher screws went
into had deteriorated so badly due to venting from the dishwasher that
screws would no longer stay in the particle board.

I took a thin strip of wood and used some Gorilla glue to do the same
thing as you would with a granite top.

The new dishwasher is screwed into that strip and everything is fine.

Gerry

That would work, but I believe that there is a way to screw into the side
cabinets instead. I can't now remember exactly but it seems most
dishwashers offered some kind of accessory strips or had predrilled but
plugged holes along the front of the cabinet side. The purpose of mounting
is to keep the dishwasher from tipping forward when the door is opened and a
full rack pulled out. I don't believe a d/w would ever walk much.

Tom G.

wrote:

We've pretty much got our cabinets in and have picked out a nice slab
of granite for our countertop. Our old countertop was laminated wood
and the dishwasher has two metal tabs at the top above the door and
there were wood screws thru holes in these tabs fastened into the wood
of the countertop. With the granite the only thing that will be above
the dishwasher is the granite. These screws are not load bearing as
they just seem to keep the dishwasher from walking around in the
opening between the cabinets.

How do you fasten a dishwasher to the granite countertop?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most new dishwashers have side mounting options.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 11:56:48 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

Most new dishwashers have side mounting options.

Yep.. I reversed the door swing on my clothes dryer (before the
service man said it couldn't be done). The hinge/latch location was
duplicated on both sides of the door and mount areas, so I swapped
them around.

Side mounts are the best choice for a DW and granite...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How do you fasten a dishwasher to the granite countertop?

How thick is your granite? Why risk potential damage to the granite,
when a side mount(s) WILL work?

I don't see the need for drilling into the granite.
Posted to alt.home.repair

infiniteMPG wrote:

We've pretty much got our cabinets in and have picked out a nice slab
of granite for our countertop. Our old countertop was laminated wood
and the dishwasher has two metal tabs at the top above the door and
there were wood screws thru holes in these tabs fastened into the wood
of the countertop. With the granite the only thing that will be above
the dishwasher is the granite. These screws are not load bearing as
they just seem to keep the dishwasher from walking around in the
opening between the cabinets.

How do you fasten a dishwasher to the granite countertop?

You don't as far as I know. In our case, the tabs were remountable to the
sides of the unit and were then screwed into the side of the cabinet face
rails. Wasn't a big deal and it was actually handled by the guys who
installed the Granite.

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dee Dee is offline

infiniteMPG wrote in

m:

We've pretty much got our cabinets in and have picked out a nice
slab of granite for our countertop. Our old countertop was
laminated wood and the dishwasher has two metal tabs at the top
above the door and there were wood screws thru holes in these tabs
fastened into the wood of the countertop. With the granite the
only thing that will be above the dishwasher is the granite.
These screws are not load bearing as they just seem to keep the
dishwasher from walking around in the opening between the
cabinets.

How do you fasten a dishwasher to the granite countertop?

I used latex caulk to adhere the metal tabs to the underside of the
granite. This has held for 8 years now.

Dee

Posted to alt.home.repair

I used latex caulk to adhere the metal tabs to the underside of the granite. *This has held for 8 years now.

Hey Dee, great suggestion. I didn't think of that and since it's
really no load on the screws that would probably work best without
damaging the granite. I might step up to something a little more
industrial then latex caulk but the idea is perfect!

Thanks!