Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best Way to Secure Metal to Brick?

Hello,

I have a piece of metal that I would like to secure to my brick
basement wall. I'm wondering what is the best way? Are there some
sort of screws available? Do you need a special drill? What about
types of glue such as super glue or epoxy?

Thanks
Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 11:38*am, wrote:
Hello,

I have a piece of metal that I would like to secure to my brick
basement wall. *I'm wondering what is the best way? *Are there some
sort of screws available? *Do you need a special drill? *What about
types of glue such as super glue or epoxy?

Thanks
Sam

What size metal, is the metal smooth or textured? What kind of
metal. how much total weight? Is this below grade? Brick does not
do well below grade, it generally likes to be dry, but there are many
kinds of brick. What kind of brick do you have, how old and what is
the current condition?

What will work or will work best depends on the above and maybe a
few others.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 6, 10:38*am, wrote:
Hello,

I have a piece of metal that I would like to secure to my brick
basement wall. *I'm wondering what is the best way? *Are there some
sort of screws available? *Do you need a special drill? *What about
types of glue such as super glue or epoxy?

Thanks
Sam

Easiest and cheapest is to drill 1//2" holes (or whatever you prefer)
and use any 2 part epoxy to anchor a common dowel in the hole. No
danger of splitting or cracking bricks from expanding type fasteners.
The dowel is very well suited to common wood screws, but some hardwood
dowels should be pre drilled for old soft brick as a matter of
respect for the material. Used this technique for years for hand
railings, mounting electric service panels and boxes, hanging
decorative shutters and planters, house numbers, etc.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hello,

I have a piece of metal that I would like to secure to my brick
basement wall. I'm wondering what is the best way? Are there some
sort of screws available? Do you need a special drill? What about
types of glue such as super glue or epoxy?

Thanks
Sam

Never used on, but I've seen special nail guns that shoot through steel and
into concrete. Almost impossible to bull the nail out. Fast and strong,
that's the tool to use if you have a big project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 8:38*am, wrote:
Hello,

I have a piece of metal that I would like to secure to my brick
basement wall. *I'm wondering what is the best way? *Are there some
sort of screws available? *Do you need a special drill? *What about
types of glue such as super glue or epoxy?

Thanks
Sam

others have posted the usual means...varous forms of anchors..and
thats fine.

However if there is no weight on the metal, and its a broad area ...
many adhesives will work,
and you will end up with a utterly flat piece no deflections in the
metal from the anchors, holes or bolt heads.

If I were doing it I might go that route...if you then sink one anchor
into the sheet, near the middle, it would hold any
weight, leaving the adhesive largely unstressed.

My favorite adhesives advertises 'dries flexible'...and will be rated
for the combination of metal and brick.. many are...
including some varieties of liquid nails, goop, and a special clear
lexan type adhesive, looks like silicon seal but is a
lot stronger. comes in a clear tube..costs about 50% more.

If you use glue find a way to brace the metal flat against the brick
during the dry time...for best results do not brace it with points
but behind a flat sheet of plywood etc. so that when you are done the
steel will reflect light perfectly flat... that will be a nice\
job... waivy wont be nearly as slick

Phil scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 11:12*am, Joe wrote:
On Sep 6, 10:38*am, wrote:

[...]

the epoxy anchors are one of the better ideas, as these will not have
be torqued down creating wavy
sheet metal. You wouldnt need half inch though. maybe quarter inch
would work well.

Phil scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hello,

I have a piece of metal that I would like to secure to my brick
basement wall. I'm wondering what is the best way? Are there some
sort of screws available? Do you need a special drill? What about
types of glue such as super glue or epoxy?

Thanks
Sam

A piece of metal can range from the foil your wife used to line the meatloaf
pan to the hood from your old '55 Chevy. Each has different characteristics
and I'd use different methods. It that solid red brick? Block? Painted?
Interior? Exterior?