Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cutting FRP?

I'm still messing with my homemade cistern bug screens... got the first
one fabbed and it works. Second one didn't have enough material to
make. Got an idea - instead of using Masonite for the larger one I was
thinking of using those FRP panels for shower stalls. question is,
what's the best way to cut those? Very fine saber saw blade at high
speed? Utility knife in several passes? I know that's going to be
trickier to cut without making a mess of it. I need to make two rings
about 21" diameter, 1.5" wide, I'll sandwich a piece of aluminum
screening between them and glue together with construction adhesive e.g.
PL Premium or something like that. The whole assembly will then be
screwed to the top of the cistern with zip screws with low-medium
density foam weatherstrip underneath. Anyone have any better ideas?
tips on dealing with FRP or suggestions for a better material appreciated.

thanks

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 2, 6:24*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Try any handy saber saw blade at medium speed. Should work just fine.
If your test piece is a bit jagged switch to a metal cutting blade and
do a bit of testing for the optimum speed. I doubt if you will need
something as hairy as the carbide or diamond coated blades out there..
Good luck.

Joe