Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default cutting FRP?

On Sep 2, 6:24*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
I'm still messing with my homemade cistern bug screens... got the first
one fabbed and it works. *Second one didn't have enough material to
make. *Got an idea - instead of using Masonite for the larger one I was
thinking of using those FRP panels for shower stalls. *question is,
what's the best way to cut those? *Very fine saber saw blade at high
speed? *Utility knife in several passes? *I know that's going to be
trickier to cut without making a mess of it. *I need to make two rings
about 21" diameter, 1.5" wide, I'll sandwich a piece of aluminum
screening between them and glue together with construction adhesive e.g.
PL Premium or something like that. *The whole assembly will then be
screwed to the top of the cistern with zip screws with low-medium
density foam weatherstrip underneath. *Anyone have any better ideas?
tips on dealing with FRP or suggestions for a better material appreciated..

thanks

nate

Try any handy saber saw blade at medium speed. Should work just fine.
If your test piece is a bit jagged switch to a metal cutting blade and
do a bit of testing for the optimum speed. I doubt if you will need
something as hairy as the carbide or diamond coated blades out there..
Good luck.

Joe