Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Driveway Pavers and Sealing

We recently had our 500 sq.ft. concrete driveway demolished and replaced
with pavers. We would like to seal the pavers, but the contractor who
installed them is quoting $2/sq.ft., or $1,000. The paver maker,
CalStone, has a recommended sealer in its broshure that is available for
$40/gal. Two gallons would be more than enough. The broshure says the
pavers can be sealed immediately after installation.

It looks like I just need to roll on the sealer since the pavers are new
and clean. Is there something I'm missing? This contractor was
reasonable for the installation part of the job, so I'm wondering what
else he would do that results in $1,000 worth of work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Riley" wrote in message
so I'm wondering what
else he would do that results in $1,000 worth of work.

make a profit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 8:39*am, "Bob" wrote:
"Bill Riley" wrote in message

so I'm wondering what

else he would do that results in $1,000 worth of work.

make a profit?

I'd suggest considering spraying the sealer on rather than using a
roller. They have small plastic pump sprayers similar to those used
to spray lawn chemicals. Since most pavers have a somewhat rough
surface, you'd need at least a med nap roller and that could pick up
some of the sand between the pavers.

In any case, certainly a job you can do yourself. Not unusual to see
contractors quote high prices like this. There are enough people that
just don't know any better and say yes, so he makes the same amount or
more by doing a lot less jobs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Riley" wrote:

snip-
This contractor was
reasonable for the installation part of the job, so I'm wondering what
else he would do that results in $1,000 worth of work.

What did he say when you asked him?

Maybe he was just saying he doesn't like that work, but if you're
willing to pay the price he'll do it. Or maybe he has a secret way
of doing it that makes his work worth so much more.

Only one person knows--- 2 if you ask him.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Aug 19, 8:39*am, "Bob" wrote:
"Bill Riley" wrote in message

so I'm wondering what

else he would do that results in $1,000 worth of work.

make a profit?

I'd suggest considering spraying the sealer on rather than using a
roller. They have small plastic pump sprayers similar to those used
to spray lawn chemicals. Since most pavers have a somewhat rough
surface, you'd need at least a med nap roller and that could pick up
some of the sand between the pavers.

In any case, certainly a job you can do yourself. Not unusual to see
contractors quote high prices like this. There are enough people that
just don't know any better and say yes, so he makes the same amount or
more by doing a lot less jobs.

Let's look at the contractor's cost for this job:

Initial visit:
gas - $10
time - $80
drive there - 30 minutes
talk to customer
job - 5 minutes
alternative solutions that won't be used - 10 minutes
small talk - 10 minutes
other possible jobs that won't pan out - 10 minutes
free advice - 15 minutes
drive home - 30 minutes

Get supplies:
gas - $5
time - $40 (first store out, drive to second store)
materials - $80

Installation:
gas - $10
time - $120
load truck - 10 minutes
drive there - 30 minutes
unload tools - 10 minutes
mask around patio - 10 minutes
clean patio - 15 minutes
prepare solution - 5 minutes
apply - 30 minutes
clean tools - 10 minutes
remove masking - 5 minutes
load tools - 10 minutes
talk to customer - 15 minutes
drive home - 30 minutes
unload truck - 10 minutes

Bookkeeping:
gas - $5
time - $40
record time, supplies - 5 minutes
print invoice - 5 minutes
mail invoice - 5 minutes
follow up on unpaid invoice - 10 minutes
receive and record payment - 5 minutes
take payment to bank - 30 minutes

Overhead:
insurance - $50
taxes - $50
tools - $50
truck depreciation - $50

Right there are more than $600 in costs (in SWAG numbers), and there
are lots more things that I didn't think of. Doing it yourself, you can
ignore the cost of your vehicle and insurance, and you can skip masking
around the patio. I can't do that, because I might get the sealer on
your siding, and there goes my profit.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote:

wrote:

On Aug 19, 8:39 am, "Bob" wrote:
"Bill Riley" wrote in message

[...]

This is the same contractor who installed the pavers. He quoted, and we
contracted for, a paver installation job that would take 4 days. He
finished in 3. So wouldn't he kind of owe me a day's labor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:00:13 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"

On Aug 19, 8:39*am, "Bob" wrote:
"Bill Riley" wrote in message

[...]

Don't forget money saved you might spend with the time saved from the
job. It cuts many ways
Posted to alt.home.repair

Exactly what's the point in sealing pavers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzyzzx wrote:

Exactly what's the point in sealing pavers?

It's a nice look, and it retards growth of algae and moss.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement